Subject: "How long do you play at a stretch?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #34053
Show all folders

WelverinMon 19-Jul-10 01:25 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
624 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#34053, "How long do you play at a stretch?"

How long do you typically stayed logged in at a time? How often during a day do you log in for 15-20 minutes then have to run do something and come back again in 15-20 minutes... Etc... I know with a char that I had once, my application for the Fortress was turned down because the leader then thought I wouldn't log in for long enough. What's long enough?

Personally, I try to set myself up that I can spend at least 20-30 minutes online, and really only log off if something comes up IRL that will keep me too occupied to not die. What do you do?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply It depends on my char, between 20-60 minutes., Amberion, 20-Jul-10 01:32 AM, #6
Reply RE: How long do you play at a stretch?, Elerosse, 19-Jul-10 05:10 PM, #5
Reply Depends on the type of char:, Twist, 19-Jul-10 03:04 PM, #3
Reply RE: Depends on the type of char:, Welverin, 19-Jul-10 03:12 PM, #4
Reply RE: How long do you play at a stretch?, Homard, 19-Jul-10 02:14 PM, #2
Reply RE: How long do you play at a stretch?, Zulghinlour, 19-Jul-10 01:58 PM, #1

AmberionTue 20-Jul-10 01:32 AM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#34060, "It depends on my char, between 20-60 minutes."
In response to Reply #0

If I have a high profile character that tends to get a lot of notes etc, then I can do brief logins of like 10-20 minutes just to read notes and keep my appearance up. If not a high profile char then I won't login unless I have at least 45-60 minutes to spend.

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

ElerosseMon 19-Jul-10 05:10 PM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
#34059, "RE: How long do you play at a stretch?"
In response to Reply #0

I try to have no less then 1-2 hours to play in a stretch. Whenever I have less time, the short login will inevitably be when something fun happens and I have to leave. :p

TwistMon 19-Jul-10 03:04 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#34057, "Depends on the type of char:"
In response to Reply #0

Lowbie uncaballed: as long or short as I feel. Definitely the most "no pressure" type of char.

Low-midlevel caballed (with no real responsibilities): I feel bad if I log out without playing for at least an hour, but I sometimes will logout after half an hour. No less than that or I won't login.

Mid-high level uncaballed: I usually don't have these, but again I don't feel any real pressure, generally, so whenever I feel like.

Low-midlevel caballed (who might be required to retrieve/defend): 1 hour minimum.

High level caballed: I generally won't login as a high level without an hour and a half to play. I prefer to be on at least 2 hours. Sometimes circumstances don't allow this. But definitely an hour minimum barring extreme OOC circumstances (kid retching in bed, that sort of thing).

FWIW If I personally see you playing several different chars, I'd much rather (from an Imm standpoint) see you play ONE of them for an hour and a half (for example) than three of them for a half-hour each. I'll be honest - the former type of player (with only one char) will be more likely to receive immrewards from me than the latter (playing multiple chars in one day). That's not a rule. But it's a preference of mine. Just like Iunna prefers dwarves. And Thror likes little boys. HAR!

WelverinMon 19-Jul-10 03:12 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
624 posts
#34058, "RE: Depends on the type of char:"
In response to Reply #3

Thanks for the feedback. Today just felt really choppy to me and that's why I posted. I try to play consistently for at least 20-30 minutes more like an hour if I can. But I get interrupted, or there really isn't anything to do for me with my given goals, so I end up havig like 5 20-30 minute sessions. Today, I had a bunch of these, but for most of them, I at least felt productive. One a fight, retrieved, etc....

As for the Multiple Char part. Yes, I'm very guilty of this. Mostly when my play times don't lend to much for me to do, or I get frustrated with how my char is going, but still want to do something... I've tried lately to really keep to my one char, in hopes that I can make something special out of him. At least I don't have 11 Fort apps now.... So I'm getting better right?

HomardMon 19-Jul-10 02:14 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#34056, "RE: How long do you play at a stretch?"
In response to Reply #0

This is actually one of the reasons that I asked for there to be a command to let me know how long I've been logged in. (Thanks, Zulgh!)

I don't like to log on for less than an hour with a caballed character, but sometimes #### happens.

I currently have a lowbie who I'm hoping to do some exploring with. I generall play for about 20-40 minutes, but I'm not trying to accomplish anything other than gaining 50% towards my next level or grabbing something for a quest in progress. For a non-serious character that doesn't imnpact anyone else's game that much I think a twenty minute logon is fine.

ZulghinlourMon 19-Jul-10 01:58 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
#34055, "RE: How long do you play at a stretch?"
In response to Reply #0

I'm a fan of 15 minute minimum, but only get frustrated with folks who do quick login/logoffs (< 2 minutes). I personally won't play a mortal unless I can put an hour into it. If all you do is play 15 minutes at a time, you're probably not really going to get anywhere.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #34053 Previous topic | Next topic