Subject: "The new anti-reconnection code" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3151
Show all folders

AbthalokThu 04-Dec-03 05:49 PM
Member since 04th Dec 2003
36 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3151, "The new anti-reconnection code"

Just wundering if it would be possible to only apply this to when your in a pk or fighting situation. I've only recently been having connection difficulties (maybe due to the code, who knows) and it seems pointless to lag me after I lose connection walking around, or fighting a mob. PK situations I can see the need for it, to stop the exploitation of reconnectors, but outside of pk situations... not sure there is a need.

thanks.
Abthalok

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I agree, and I think...TXT, Jelomar, 04-Dec-03 06:43 PM, #1
     Reply Not going to happen., Valguarnera, 04-Dec-03 10:10 PM, #2
          Reply Yo., Dallevian, 04-Dec-03 10:35 PM, #3
          Reply Agreed., Krivohan, 04-Dec-03 11:03 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Yo., Zulghinlour, 05-Dec-03 03:30 AM, #5
               Reply RE: Yo., DemonLlama, 05-Dec-03 09:15 AM, #6
               Reply We don't see your command buffer, Yanoreth, 06-Dec-03 12:30 PM, #9
                    Reply RE: We don't see your command buffer, Sailatinu, 06-Dec-03 10:47 PM, #10
                    Reply Question about the reconnect code:, Isildur, 06-Dec-03 11:38 PM, #11
               Reply An idea., Dallevian, 05-Dec-03 03:19 PM, #7
          Reply I think he meant soda pop nt, dwimmerling, 05-Dec-03 04:02 PM, #8

JelomarThu 04-Dec-03 06:43 PM
Member since 18th Mar 2003
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3152, "I agree, and I think...TXT"
In response to Reply #0

It would be cool if you could fade out or something like 5 minutes once every hour you play for just like a little chance to grab a pop or something IF you have not been fighting recently or anything...so like quit kinda, but you don't actually have to quit then login five minutes later.

ValguarneraThu 04-Dec-03 10:10 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3153, "Not going to happen."
In response to Reply #1

It would be cool if you could fade out or something like 5 minutes once every hour you play for just like a little chance to grab a pop or something

Leave the area. If moving in and out of the area is especially difficult (i.e. Trothon), that's part of the area's design and something you have to deal with, and not by manipulating your link.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

DallevianThu 04-Dec-03 10:35 PM
1620 posts
#3154, "Yo."
In response to Reply #2

I ask that his post not prevent you from acknowledging the initial post. I think it's a fair request, myself. The only situation I can think of offhand is an invoker practicing spells without the use of a mob or somesuch and reconnecting, but that's rare enough that it should be ok. I do like the lag on reconnecting to clear buffer, though. Good idea. But for people like me who play on a pos school network, it hurts. I get bumped from my connection about every three or four minutes during high trafic times (ie anytime past midnight). I think it'd be kosher to only have the reconnect lag come into effect when the character is in combat with a pc or a mob.

Or at least halve the lag. *shrug*

Good night I hope that was coherant.

KrivohanThu 04-Dec-03 11:03 PM
80 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#3155, "Agreed."
In response to Reply #3

I get stuck a low because I'm on a crap dial-up. It's bad enough it takes me three minutes to recconnet, but now I have to wait out the reconnect lag.

ZulghinlourFri 05-Dec-03 03:30 AM
9792 posts
#3157, "RE: Yo."
In response to Reply #3

So it's okay if let's say, you're speedwalking down the eastern road, fall into some quicksand and have 40 more easts entered in and the invoker is twenty rooms away for you to clear that buffer to prevent the death you're likely to get because you are going east 40 more times out of quicksand?

Honestly...there are other situatiosn where you aren't currently fighting and you drop link to clear your command buffer and come back that should be just as deadly as if you are in PK. While the total time disconnected that causes the lag may shorten, I don't see it only happening if you are fighting someone.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

DemonLlamaFri 05-Dec-03 09:15 AM
13 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#3159, "RE: Yo."
In response to Reply #5

Is there any way to do it based on the amount of commands in the buffer?

If I'm tooling down Eastern with, perhaps, only one or two extra "e"s in there... I don't think I should be penalized by the code if I have to reconnect.

So, some sort of mix of the time thing, and the command buffer thing. If you reconnect within a certain time period, and your buffer is greater than X commands, lag. Or, base the lag on the amount in the buffer... that guy with 40 "e"s in there should be penalized more than the other guy.

This might already be in there, but I don't remember seeing anything about it... just that if you reconnect really quickly, you get lagged.

YanorethSat 06-Dec-03 12:30 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
896 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3191, "We don't see your command buffer"
In response to Reply #6

The way the buffering system works is that we take the first command from you, then we don't even read the next command pending (if any) until your character can execute it. So there's currently no way for the mud to know how much you've filled your command buffer, or even if you have a command waiting. Your "buffer" is all on your end, which is why dropping link can clear it so conveniently.

Reading in 10 or 20 commands at a time to create a buffer on the mud's end would be really irritating for spam walkers, and it would definitely increase considerably the amount of memory and processing command buffering takes.

I think the problem some folks are encountering when their whole ISP goes out on them is that the ISP isn't making a clean break for us. In other words, you haven't appeared to drop link until you actually try to reconnect. That could be a few minutes later, during which you were just sitting idle but not actually disconnected.

SailatinuSat 06-Dec-03 10:47 PM
Member since 27th Jul 2003
115 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#3199, "RE: We don't see your command buffer"
In response to Reply #9

I'm glad to see great level of explaination of this here (because I had no idea that there was a lag-reconnect.. new I guess?)

I am too vulnerable to this problem, and it does make me more conscious of not spamming my buffer for this problem.

I personally do use GMud as my client, and this makes me want to address it in the most simplest way; which possibly the rest of you can try to address it in your clients..
Suggest to your client-makers, to have a 'clear typed buffer' option, or something similar.

When my copious free-time actually occurs, I'll look into adding this feature into the copy of Gmud I have the source for.

Though, I am certainly glad you were able to actually give some guidance to the actual problem at hand, so I can be on the watch to avoid having to actually encounter this lag.

Thanks!

IsildurSat 06-Dec-03 11:38 PM
5969 posts
#3200, "Question about the reconnect code:"
In response to Reply #9

If the mud detects that someone has dropped link does the lag start immediately or only when they reconnect?

It might be nice boon for the "accidental" disconnectors to have the lag start when the disconnect is first detected.

I realize that in lots of cases the mud doesn't know the person has disconnected until they reconnect, but in the other cases it makes sense to overlap the "anti-cheating lag" with the self-imposed lag the person already has to endure (dialing into their ISP, etc.)

DallevianFri 05-Dec-03 03:19 PM
1620 posts
#3162, "An idea."
In response to Reply #5

What if you base the noncombat lag off of non-grouped pk targets? This will mostly help in ranking situations, where if I reconnect and the only pkable people near me are in my group, no lag. But if someone is out of my group and in range, then the lag hits me.

Or you could just go with reducing the lag for reconnecting noncombative characters. I'm just full of incoherent ideas that might make sense to someone shooting beer out of his nose early in the morning. *sigh*

dwimmerlingFri 05-Dec-03 04:02 PM
216 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#3163, "I think he meant soda pop nt"
In response to Reply #2

what part of the country are you in?

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3151 Previous topic | Next topic