Subject: "warrior skills why not ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #266
Show all folders

thedrunkardSat 01-Mar-03 10:13 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
53 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#266, "warrior skills why not ?"

Being with all warriors, everything about their life in combat is based on combat and knowledge how to, and how to block in it. If warriors are practiced in all weapons since they can.. Would'nt it be more logical as well resonable, especially since the practicing warrior on average, takes much much long then the average practicing magic class being that most magic users seem to be smarter then most warriors, that even if not wielding a mace, but lets say a sword, fighting a mace wielding target. Shouldnt the sword wailing warrior get at least a low degree of learning on maces and how they move and what not even though using a sword? Just seems more realsitic for the class to learn on weapons they fight against as well with

Early bird gets the worm, Second mouse gets the cheese!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: warrior skills why not ?, Boldereth, 03-Mar-03 04:01 PM, #13
Reply not sure what your gettin at here..., Quiditus, 01-Mar-03 10:12 PM, #1
     Reply RE: not sure what your gettin at here..., Haze, 01-Mar-03 10:26 PM, #2
          Reply RE: not sure what your gettin at here..., Ululari, 02-Mar-03 12:39 AM, #3
               Reply That's an unfair comparison and you know it, Aidan, 02-Mar-03 04:03 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: That's an unfair comparison and you know it, Haze, 02-Mar-03 04:08 PM, #5
                         Reply Still not a valid comparison, Aidan, 02-Mar-03 07:41 PM, #6
                         Reply RE: Still not a valid comparison, Theerkla, 02-Mar-03 08:12 PM, #7
                              Reply RE: Still not a valid comparison, thedrunkard, 02-Mar-03 08:47 PM, #9
                                   Reply um...I think you missed what Theerkla meant.., Quiditus, 03-Mar-03 01:01 AM, #10
                                   Reply RE: Still not a valid comparison, Theerkla, 03-Mar-03 04:49 AM, #11
                                        Reply ok when phrased that way I disagree, Quiditus, 03-Mar-03 11:39 AM, #12
                                             Reply My last word on the topic, Theerkla, 03-Mar-03 04:42 PM, #14
                                                  Reply RE: My last word on the topic, thedrunkard, 03-Mar-03 07:21 PM, #15
                                                       Reply *tries to be the voice of reason* (god help us all), Quiditus, 04-Mar-03 12:33 AM, #16
                         Reply RE: That's an unfair comparison and you know it, thedrunkard, 02-Mar-03 08:44 PM, #8

BolderethMon 03-Mar-03 04:01 PM
197 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#267, "RE: warrior skills why not ?"
In response to Reply #0

How about this?

The majority of learning by watching/interacting is covered by prac'ing it up to 75, then you need to learn for yourself. However after 91%, you need to fight against others using your weapon to get that final few percentages. You've mastered the weapon as best you can by watching and hitting things, but you can still learn a few moves by actually battling another master of the weapon. My idea? Make weapon mastery mean a bit more potent at 100% and make it impossible to learn a weapon past 91% without fighting a warrior specialized in that weapon. Your spec weapons you can perfect without interaction as a warrior.

Its kind of like with programming. You first start programming by reading what others do, and then doing what you can til you are competant (75%). Then you work on your own and build things up from scratch yourself, and hone yourself to professional status (91%). However to become an artisan, you have to learn some of the techniques employed by a truly gifted programmers (quake 3 source). Etc.

It'd be cool because then you could put in a quest-spec for someone who got all to 100% by training with various warriors/weapon masters and thus got an all around spec (3-4 skills from assorted weapons).

QuiditusSat 01-Mar-03 10:12 PM
56 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#268, "not sure what your gettin at here..."
In response to Reply #0

warriors can learn every single weapon in the game. you just can't specialize in them all, except you can master all of them. of course the sword spec can parry maces.

-Quid

HazeSat 01-Mar-03 10:26 PM
7 posts
#269, "RE: not sure what your gettin at here..."
In response to Reply #1

What he seemed to be getting at was that you should be able to learn a weapon while fighting against that weapon; you should learn by watching basically. Eh, that's my guess. No opinion on it though.

Haze

UlulariSun 02-Mar-03 12:39 AM
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#270, "RE: not sure what your gettin at here..."
In response to Reply #2

I think you're right.

And, it would add so much realism to the game.

Why, just the other day I heard about this guy who became an expert marksman by being shot at.

AidanSun 02-Mar-03 04:03 PM
45 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#271, "That's an unfair comparison and you know it"
In response to Reply #3

There's is no interraction between gun/target.

There is interraction between mace/sword when a swordsman is parrying the mace. He is observin the mace-wielder's techniques, countering them, and in general learning some useful information about maces.

It's not hands on practice, but it is learning, and half-rate improvements of the weapon you're fighting against is a very realistic idea.

HazeSun 02-Mar-03 04:08 PM
7 posts
#272, "RE: That's an unfair comparison and you know it"
In response to Reply #4

Well here is how you can look at that:

Yes you should be able to learn some like that...to a point. How do you think that you learn when you learn from your guildmaster? It's not just you sparring with him; it's you watcher what a master does. There does come a point though where you have to learn on your own. Someone who is in shape can't just go out and beat any football/basketball/baseball player just from previously watching tv, but that is a way that you could learn the basics.

AidanSun 02-Mar-03 07:41 PM
45 posts
#274, "Still not a valid comparison"
In response to Reply #5

Watching sports on tv is nothing like parrying your enemy's mace.

Watching sports on tv would be like watching your groupmate use maces.

TheerklaSun 02-Mar-03 08:12 PM
1055 posts
#275, "RE: Still not a valid comparison"
In response to Reply #6

Okay, simple martial art's analogy. Practicing for hours on end to block and avoid a side kick, does nothing to improve your kicking ability. None whatsoever.

thedrunkardSun 02-Mar-03 08:47 PM
53 posts
#276, "RE: Still not a valid comparison"
In response to Reply #7

Theerkla, your so flat out wrong, as im sure many martial artists out there as well myself of several years, you certainly do improve on strikes from observance of form, and technique, even if you are on damaging end of it. Quite.. even.

QuiditusMon 03-Mar-03 01:01 AM
56 posts
#282, "um...I think you missed what Theerkla meant.."
In response to Reply #9

he/she said that "blocking a strike will never improve your kicks". not "watching a form won't improve yours". I think you just misread it like I misread the Drunkards original post.

TheerklaMon 03-Mar-03 04:49 AM
1055 posts
#277, "RE: Still not a valid comparison"
In response to Reply #9

Not without also practicing the attack. If you do both, yes. If all you do is practice blocking a technique, without also learning the technique. It won't aid you.

QuiditusMon 03-Mar-03 11:39 AM
56 posts
#278, "ok when phrased that way I disagree"
In response to Reply #11

the way you orginally said it, you claimed that blocking and dodging a kick won't improve your "kicking ability". this is true you must practice bagwork/stretching/legwork etc.....

On THIS post you say that blocking won't help you "learn" the technique. this is not true. I've been teaching martial arts classes for about 4 years now and 90% of teaching is visualization. I learned twice as much on how to do my moves by having them done on me (yes for a while I played the role of the "punch in" guy that got beaten on hehe) you will not gain better (stronger) kicks by watching but mentally you will have a better idea on how to execute it correctly.

-quiddie

TheerklaMon 03-Mar-03 04:42 PM
1055 posts
#279, "My last word on the topic"
In response to Reply #12

As a martial art's instructor would you ever tell a student "I'm not going to teach you this technique, but I am going to teach you how to counter it. You'll be able to figure out the rest on your own by seeing it performed on you and knowing how to stop it"

That is the original point I was trying to make.

thedrunkardMon 03-Mar-03 07:21 PM
53 posts
#280, "RE: My last word on the topic"
In response to Reply #14

Again, you are being ignorant to the point. A martial arts instructer would show him, have him apply it, as well learn to defend from it, or any other special move, kick, "weapon" on uses in their arrayed plethra of assaults. It is about incorporating the prime skills of a warrior that he/she bases their entire life on. Combat, fighting, weapons, blocking, etc... It is the martial arts instructer teaching them on all sides of the spectrum, for as well the reason i think warriors should learn on weapons they fight to a Very small degree, just as to a decent degree that they now, gain on what they wield

QuiditusTue 04-Mar-03 12:33 AM
56 posts
#281, "*tries to be the voice of reason* (god help us all)"
In response to Reply #15

ok this has gone on long enough, you've both made valid points. yes you learn some of the moves and such by defending against it, and yes whatever you do pick up is not nearly as helpfull as direct teaching. if both these statements hold true then yeah, perhaps we do need a small gain every once in a while for warriors that fight other kinda of weapons...a "small" gain. can we end this discussion now?

thedrunkardSun 02-Mar-03 08:44 PM
53 posts
#273, "RE: That's an unfair comparison and you know it"
In response to Reply #5

No offense, but both mitigating reasons you give for favor of not allowing this are ignorant. No duh, you dont learn to shoot from getting shot at, and this isn't watching sports and playing something derived from an entire built up concept. Its weapon on weapon. Warriors learn in all weapons, and to a small small degree, should be able to improve on that 75 percent in dagger to 76 percent on a possibility after fighting a thief, it just seems entirely logical, although im sure if i stare at the stars long enough, im never going to become an astronaught, kind of a no #### deal there.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #266 Previous topic | Next topic