Subject: "(poll) how long does it take you to max.. ?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2593
Show all folders

kellog (inactive user)Mon 13-Oct-03 10:27 AM
Charter member
#2593, "(poll) how long does it take you to max.. ?"

The premise is simple: How fast could you max out the following skills at level 15. Answer twice, in the form of low-int race, high-int race. Use hours (eg 5 hr / 1 hr)

Defenses:
parry:

Auto combat skill
enhanced damage:

combat skill
bash:

noncombat skill
sneak:

combat spell
chill touch:

noncombat spell
armor:

initiation skill
steal:

Finally: Is it easier to practice on many weak mobs, or one strong one in your opinion.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Top

Reply somewhere between character creation and death..., shokai, 12-Oct-03 11:36 PM, #2
Reply Lemme ask you?, kellog (Anonymous), 13-Oct-03 12:06 AM, #6
     Reply RE: Lemme ask you?, shokai, 13-Oct-03 12:28 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Lemme ask you?, Zulghinlour, 13-Oct-03 12:30 AM, #4
     Reply The point is...?, Narissa, 13-Oct-03 01:00 AM, #5
Reply RE: (poll) how long does it take you to max.. ?, kellog (Anonymous), 12-Oct-03 11:13 PM, #1

shokaiSun 12-Oct-03 11:36 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2595, "somewhere between character creation and death..."
In response to Reply #0

Here's my question. Why do you think it matters? The best way to find out the answers to these and many more questions is to stop asking stupid questions on a forum, and start playing the game and taking chances.

For anyone keeping score out there, let me explain what 100% in a skill means. It means you are slightly less likely to fail than you are at 99%. To further that, 99% means you are slightly less likely to fail than you would be at 98%. Get the picture?

I think if you look around at the people who are constantly kicking ass and taking names, you'll find very very few of them who give a clown's ass about the % thier skill is per character, and focus more at how good their skills are behind the monitor. Those skills come from taking risks, and learning what works and what doesn't. Not from asking silly polls about what does and doesn't work to increase your skill percentage.

kellog (inactive user)Mon 13-Oct-03 10:27 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #2

Does it hurt to have 100%?

Do 99% skills stay 99% when you berserk?

Do you deny the existance of percentage thresholds @80 @90 @100?

Do you fear an assassin with 75% assassinate as much as an assassin with 100% assassinate?

PS: the answer to all three of these is "no".

(on 3), the code must be rounding off or something.. there is a definate increase in damage when you hit weaponskill 90%.

"people who are constantly kicking ass and taking names", are probably too lazy to put in the arduous time practicing.. and probably use preps as a crutch. What can you say about the guy who uses preps liberally, and maximizes skills? He kicks a lot of ass? Yea..

Is it a crime to want to kick a lot of ass?

shokaiMon 13-Oct-03 12:18 AM
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2597, "RE: Lemme ask you?"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Mon 13-Oct-03 12:28 AM

Is it a crime to want to kick a lot of ass?

No, however judging ass kicking ability by skill percentage and/or pk prowress alone is not the answer. Additionally, I'll note that you glazed over the part where I hinted at going out and doing for yourself. Sure, there are numbers. Sure they have meaning. Do they have enough meaning to be worth obsessing over? Nope. Do people obsess over them? Yep. Will people obsess over this even after reading this? Yes. So why am I posting this? Mainly because I'd really like to see number crunching come to some form of public death. Additionally there are so many other factors that matter in pk, that whether or not your skills are maxed...it just doesn't matter man.

I fear a skilled player mroe than a skilled character. To explain that further. The guy with 75% in everything who knows how to hunt, how to run, and when to do which, I fear a #### load more than I do some cheesepunk who spent countless hours perfecting his skills. As far as preps go preps exist to be used. If you can win a fight without using them, by all means do so. However if you lose a fight because you could've prepped but didn't feel like it. You'll know what to do next time. Granted a skilled player knows when to prep and when not to prep....which all of this comes back to my intial point. Learn by doing for yourself.

ZulghinlourMon 13-Oct-03 12:28 AM
9792 posts
#2598, "RE: Lemme ask you?"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Mon 13-Oct-03 12:30 AM

>Does it hurt to have 100%?

No...Does it help if you have no PKing skill? The answer to that is also no.

>Do 99% skills stay 99% when you berserk?

No.

>Do you deny the existance of percentage thresholds @80 @90
>@100?

Yes.

>Do you fear an assassin with 75% assassinate as much as an
>assassin with 100% assassinate?

Only because an assassin with 100% assassinate has assassinated many people in the past (the only way assassinate improves). Not because he has it at 100%.

>PS: the answer to all three of these is "no".
>
> on 3), the code must be rounding off or something.. there is
>a definate increase in damage when you hit weaponskill 90%.

And yet, you claim they are at 80%, 90%, and 100%. Which is wrong.

>Is it a crime to want to kick a lot of ass?

No, but I don't think you'll ever be on that side of the fence.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

NarissaMon 13-Oct-03 01:00 AM
Member since 04th May 2003
279 posts
#2600, "The point is...?"
In response to Reply #6

>Does it hurt to have 100%?

No. Does it bother you to have less?

>Do 99% skills stay 99% when you berserk?

That is only applicable for warriors. You forgot that berserk has other benefits. It is also not a difficult skill to master. And so what if your other skills are less?

>Do you deny the existance of percentage thresholds @80 @90
>@100?

Again, what are you trying to say? That with 100%, you should be feared because you've perfected everything, and your god should give you a tattoo?

>Do you fear an assassin with 75% assassinate as much as an
>assassin with 100% assassinate?

And your point again is? I still fail to draw any conclusions. As if you know someone has 100% assasssinate skill? Even if you are an assassin with 100% skill, do you go around declaring about it? What makes you different about other assassins with 75% skill?

>PS: the answer to all three of these is "no".

That is your conclusion. It's your RP and not only your no. of kills nor your perfection of your character that makes him stand out.

> on 3), the code must be rounding off or something.. there is
>a definate increase in damage when you hit weaponskill 90%.

Prove it to me. I can only see a dishing out more damage. But then again that skill comes along with ranking and not more practicing.

>"people who are constantly kicking ass and taking names", are
>probably too lazy to put in the arduous time practicing.. and
>probably use preps as a crutch. What can you say about the
>guy who uses preps liberally, and maximizes skills? He kicks
>a lot of ass? Yea..
>Is it a crime to want to kick a lot of ass?

And you have a kick-ass character. Then what? People should fear you? Again I fail to draw anything from your point.

>The premise is simple: How fast could you max out the
>following skills at level 15. Answer twice, in the form of
>low-int race, high-int race. Use hours (eg 5 hr / 1 hr)

Either :
1. You are trying to be an idiot or
2. You are trying to be an idiot.

You have already spelt out the answer : low-int race takes a bit longer than high-int race. Furthermore the IMMs have coded such that you don't learn well from weak mobs as stated and mentioned. And you cannot perfect your defenses, etc until rank 15.

The whole purpose for the IMM staff is for players to enjoy the game without putting in efforts to try for perfection. I don't know what your purpose is since the answers are there.

kellog (inactive user)Sun 12-Oct-03 11:13 PM
Charter member
#2594, "RE: (poll) how long does it take you to max.. ?"
In response to Reply #0

Defenses:
parry: 50 / 25

Auto combat skill
enhanced damage: 10 / 2

combat skill
bash: 10 / 2

noncombat skill
sneak: 2 / 1

combat spell
chill touch: 10 / 5

noncombat spell
armor: 10 / 2

initiation skill
steal: 1000000000 / 100000000 grr

Finally: Is it easier to practice on many weak mobs, or one strong one in your opinion.

DUnno.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2593 Previous topic | Next topic