Subject: "Arial inherent" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2193
Show all folders

JhyrbianSat 06-Sep-03 10:14 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2193, "Arial inherent"
Edited on Sat 06-Sep-03 10:15 PM

Just a little idea i had rolling around my head, seems quite feasible, not overly overpowered and damn cool.

Fly, like air majors.. costs major movement to fly up, maintain being in the air etc. But it's sort of like being underwater, you can't do alot of skills up in the air. Can't muster up the speed to flurry, or any other variation for other skills. Can't sleep in the air, basically you can go up, move around a bit and land.. do the odd fighting skill like feint. Has pros and cons, air majors being the major con.

Can't flyto, but you have to 'land'.. you take a marginal amount of damage trying to land.. maybe as you age you get better at landing and take no damage.

Addition: landing puts you randomly in the area below you.

Maybe i'm off my rocker, but it seems feasible to me.

Cheers.
Jhyrb.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Arial inherent, Zulghinlour, 08-Sep-03 04:42 PM, #2
Reply ####'s advocate, Ululari, 08-Sep-03 07:08 PM, #3
Reply RE: ####'s advocate, Zulghinlour, 08-Sep-03 07:46 PM, #4
Reply I don't like it, Nivek1, 09-Sep-03 09:23 AM, #6
Reply RE: Arial inherent, Isildur, 09-Sep-03 12:34 AM, #5
     Reply RE: Arial inherent, Chalupah, 09-Sep-03 01:44 PM, #7
Reply Now ask yourself..., GinGa, 08-Sep-03 03:20 AM, #1

ZulghinlourMon 08-Sep-03 04:42 PM
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2207, "RE: Arial inherent"
In response to Reply #0

>Fly, like air majors..

I don't see that happening.

>costs major movement to fly up, maintain being in the air etc.

I don't think there is any value of movement to get there, or mana to maintain being there that still doesn't make that ubercool, and overpowered.

>Has pros and cons, air majors being the major con.

Has way more pros than cons. Being able to get all around the world in no time at all, the ability to scout, the ability to hide in a place pretty much nobody else can get to, etc. As I said...I don't see that happening.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

UlulariMon 08-Sep-03 07:08 PM
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2212, "####'s advocate"
In response to Reply #2

Has way more pros than cons. Being able to get all around the world in no time at all, the ability to scout, the ability to hide in a place pretty much nobody else can get to, etc. As I said...I don't see that happening.

Is that all that's wrong with it?

How about limiting it to arials who are carrying (and, of course, wearing) no equipment or money, and limiting the effectiveness of "where" so that it only shows the "up in the air" location, and none of the areas below (which would tie into the issue of not being able to control what room you arrive in).

Now it's mostly of use just after you've died.

Maybe add a bit of lag after coming down, to make it a bit less useful for other purposes. After all, the scariest part of flying is landing.

But since this is purely based on flying, which in a sense is already an inherent, and not on not anything that's unique about the race -- such as their wings -- I'm not sure that I like it as an inherent.

Personally, I'd like to see something like a wing buffet which might be something like a weakened bash combined with dirt kick (three components which can succeed or fail independently: minor to moderate damage, moderate chance of throwing off balance, moderate chance of blinding). This should probably be affected by terrain differently from dirt kick.

That, and maybe occasionally having hand-to-hand damage reported as a "peck" rather than a "punch". (automatic skill, probably a different damage type but no other mechanical differences).

ZulghinlourMon 08-Sep-03 07:46 PM
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2213, "RE: ####'s advocate"
In response to Reply #3

>Personally, I'd like to see something like a wing buffet which
>might be something like a weakened bash combined with dirt
>kick (three components which can succeed or fail
>independently: minor to moderate damage, moderate chance of
>throwing off balance, moderate chance of blinding). This
>should probably be affected by terrain differently from dirt
>kick.
>
>That, and maybe occasionally having hand-to-hand damage
>reported as a "peck" rather than a "punch". (automatic skill,
>probably a different damage type but no other mechanical
>differences).
>

So go put it on the September Contest...

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Nivek1Tue 09-Sep-03 09:23 AM
655 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2215, "I don't like it"
In response to Reply #3

>
>Is that all that's wrong with it?
>
>How about limiting it to arials who are carrying (and, of
>course, wearing) no equipment or money, and limiting the
>effectiveness of "where" so that it only shows the "up in the
>air" location, and none of the areas below (which would tie
>into the issue of not being able to control what room you
>arrive in).
>
>Now it's mostly of use just after you've died.

A naked arial necromancer. The Desanguina of the skies. I don't think this is a good idea at all.

IsildurTue 09-Sep-03 12:34 AM
5969 posts
#2214, "RE: Arial inherent"
In response to Reply #2

A few ways to make it less cool and more "umm, okay".

1. Can't fly up during combat.

2. Flying up takes more movement than for air forms.

3. Moving around takes lots of move and has lag.

4. Each tick in the air costs non-insignificant move.

5. Can only see what's below you like minor air forms can.

6. Flyto has lag. Maybe like a 1-person tess. Enough for someone to quaff, blackjack, cast sleep, etc.

7. You can't do anything combat-related in the air, e.g. parry, dodge, shield block, cast, sing, commune, etc.

8. All major air forms are faster than you, i.e. one hits you and you're dead meat.

One issue with making it expensive movement-wise is that low-ranking arials would literally start dropping like flies.

ChalupahTue 09-Sep-03 01:44 PM
139 posts
#2216, "RE: Arial inherent"
In response to Reply #5

>
>4. Each tick in the air costs non-insignificant move.
>

I think the word you're looking for here is "significant"

GinGaMon 08-Sep-03 03:20 AM
996 posts
#2198, "Now ask yourself..."
In response to Reply #0

Whats to stop cloud giants doing the same?

Why would arials fly so high, while weighted down by armour?

They can already reach flying places with no effort. Why give them access to all of Thera in the same way?

I think its silly, they're smart, have wings and cool rp possibilities. If anyone does make an inherent, I think it would be a swoop/dive deal. That way, you can imagine the lag and effort being like a skill instead of some massively overpowered ability.

GinGa.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2193 Previous topic | Next topic