Subject: "Uncabal = neglected. Discuss." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #21347
Show all folders

wareagleSat 10-May-08 03:11 AM
Member since 19th Aug 2007
201 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21347, "Uncabal = neglected. Discuss."

It's a little insane right now. The next guy to heroimm, please put him/her on a path to oversee the uncaballed. I've thought so long to post this because honestly, I feel like my voice(and those whom believe the way I do) will be ignored outright.

Seriously, uncaballed are being neglected.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Uncabal = neglected. Discuss., Kalageadon, 10-May-08 03:12 PM, #6
Reply Since it is known..., Eshval, 10-May-08 12:52 PM, #5
Reply By 'love me' I assume..., GinGa, 10-May-08 05:31 PM, #7
Reply You mean I bite you?!!!, Eshval, 10-May-08 09:21 PM, #9
Reply RE: Since it is known..., TheFrog, 10-May-08 08:54 PM, #8
     Reply If you don't want IMMteraction., wareagle, 10-May-08 10:31 PM, #10
          Reply I understand your point but..., Scrimbul, 11-May-08 05:38 PM, #11
               Reply RE: I understand your point but..., Valguarnera, 11-May-08 05:44 PM, #12
                    Reply I don't have any particularly recent examples..., Scrimbul, 11-May-08 07:37 PM, #13
                         Reply RE: I don't have any particularly recent examples..., Valguarnera, 11-May-08 08:45 PM, #14
Reply Problem with Uncaballed, Braemir, 10-May-08 08:34 AM, #2
Reply Probably, Rayihn, 10-May-08 07:09 AM, #1
     Reply A+, wareagle, 10-May-08 09:59 AM, #3
          Reply Well, you're right, Rayihn, 10-May-08 10:05 AM, #4

KalageadonSat 10-May-08 03:12 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1045 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21353, "RE: Uncabal = neglected. Discuss."
In response to Reply #0

Well... I may somewhat agree to your idea but I believe it is a bit out of skew. Yes many un-cabaled people go somewhat unnoticed but that can be because they are much harder to watch and many do not have as much to see. (ie. role, fights, interactions with others beyond ranking) What I have noticed and that I really enjoy is that the imms are making a huge effort to throw out more imm xpad, and interactions than in days of yore. *HUGE props to the imm staff here* Years ago I wouldn't dream of getting anywhere near as many interactions with my last few chars, some cabaled some not.

If I were to give advice on the subject it would simply be to make a character that can't go unnoticed in whatever way that is I leave up to you but that is the best way to garner that imm lovin your shootin for.

EshvalSat 10-May-08 12:52 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21352, "Since it is known..."
In response to Reply #0

That I am 'amazing,'I thought I would chime in (Thanks Ray) and offer some thoughts. I enjoy watching characters, they are why I stay around...it's better than television. Uncaballed folks can be a problem to watch. As Ray mentioned, keeping eyes on Cabals, writing and verifying area, watching for evil-doers and living a reasonable life is tough. Many of the imms clock in 40+ hours a week to keep the mud going, and most 'attempt' to give some love to the uncaballed folks.

If any character wants to be noticed, they have to do 'something,' and what that 'something' might be is pretty open. I look through lots of roles and descs which gives me some insight on possibly unique folks comming up. If a character doesn't have a role, I generally don't give them a lot of my time, because pretty much they can always fall back on 'whatever I do is part of my rp.'

Some folks feel imms should watch characters and get a feel for their rp and such. This really doesn't work. I watch a lot of characters, and I don't always remember who did what. And while one imm may see one facet, I may see a completely different side.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by 'oversee,' but it feels like you feel there is not enough attention paid to those ouside of the cabals. I can tell you lots of folks do not like being watched, for a variety of reasons. I have had folks drop link, multiple time when I seek via mob or echo to interact with them...multiple times.

Perhaps we need a 'love me' tag for those who want immteraction.

I will do my best to ocntinue giving the imm experience points, last names, titles and immteractions as best I am able. Maybe you aren't as interesting as you think? I have no idea.

Good luck, though.

eshval@carrionfields.com

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson

GinGaSat 10-May-08 05:31 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21354, "By 'love me' I assume..."
In response to Reply #5

You mean 'give me that nasty bite prog attack as often as etiquette allows'. *fistshake*

Not that I mind, but some people might want to know what Eshval's style of love is. I don't know if there's a gimp suit in-game, but they should probably be wearing one

EshvalSat 10-May-08 09:21 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21356, "You mean I bite you?!!!"
In response to Reply #7

I haven't got my shots!

My love is never conditional...even if I make you suffer.

eshval@carrionfields.com

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson

TheFrogSat 10-May-08 08:54 PM
Member since 23rd Dec 2005
77 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#21355, "RE: Since it is known..."
In response to Reply #5

>Perhaps we need a 'love me' tag for those who want
>immteraction.

Or perhaps a question at character creation that ask : Do you want Immteraction with this character?

If you're an Empowerement Class, Tattoo, or in a Cabal, this goes to "Yes" automatically.

wareagleSat 10-May-08 10:31 PM
201 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21357, "If you don't want IMMteraction."
In response to Reply #8
Edited on Sat 10-May-08 10:31 PM

You shouldn't play. This is not directed to you. This is directed to the chumps that cause uncaballed's to get shafted. I understand their(IMM's) reasoning.

I just want a lastname for making an impact to my range is all. I don't want to have to join a cabal to get that kind of recognition.

ScrimbulSun 11-May-08 05:38 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#21377, "I understand your point but..."
In response to Reply #10

Just FYI, I'm going to assume I'm one of the chumps that get you shafted and play devil's advocate here.

Just as often as imms give out rewards, they do dumb #### like give solo rankers exp-holes by transing them into noexit rooms with level 60 mobs, or kill stray innocents during quest mob attacks. For some of these characters it's a matter of a few minutes of extra ranking but for many uncaballeds it's hours worth of work.

Believe it or not each player can decide when they roll up a character whether they want to put the work into a cabal. Sometimes even cabals are too much work, the game is a big enough timesink as it is.

Sometimes a player rolls a character without wanting to play the game of 'You were about to get something cool if you hung out for one more day but you deleted. Oh well.'

Or 'You were cool but this guy was cooler so I gave him imm XP instead. I didn't check to see that he had gotten 25k xp from his favorite imm before already because it shouldn't change whether he got it this time around.'

Or maybe we just flat don't feel like getting killed/smited/slain/plagued for taking a piece of shiny gear from some imm follower's corpse and then treated like it was blasphemy when said roleplayer probably should have teleported from the shrine area.

If you want attention, use the 'pray' command for your character's inner monologues and stop blaming me for feeling like there are no imms that aren't either going to subject me to impossible challenges, be impossible to catch or flat don't fit any roles I want to play, k? Chances are I may have a cool role but don't have the energy or desire to play out it's little perks because I'm a bit busy scheming the way I'm going to relieve a decked character of a key piece of gear or get back at someone that betrayed me, or just trying to get some god damn levels in a PK range stacked against me and/or my groupmates, a PK range that you probably are on the other side of twiddling your thumbs wondering why you don't get a pat on the head.

The imms are doing what they can and it's not their fault the cabal channel makes that easier.

ValguarneraSun 11-May-08 05:44 PM
6904 posts
#21378, "RE: I understand your point but..."
In response to Reply #11

Just as often as imms give out rewards, they do dumb #### like give solo rankers exp-holes by transing them into noexit rooms with level 60 mobs, or kill stray innocents during quest mob attacks. For some of these characters it's a matter of a few minutes of extra ranking but for many uncaballeds it's hours worth of work.

Can you document any of this occuring recently? Specifically, being transed into a noexit room with some nigh-unbeatable mob for no apparent reason. I would, of course, be interested to read the wheres and whens.

For quest mobs, assume I don't care if there's fair warning that something is going on.

Or maybe we just flat don't feel like getting killed/smited/slain/plagued for taking a piece of shiny gear from some imm follower's corpse and then treated like it was blasphemy when said roleplayer probably should have teleported from the shrine area.

Again, care to document? (Assume I don't care if you barged into that Immortal's shrine, or something similar.) My email is below.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

ScrimbulSun 11-May-08 07:37 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#21382, "I don't have any particularly recent examples..."
In response to Reply #12

...precisely because I've gone out of my way to avoid putting my characters in those scenarios. It's not anything personal or any attempt on my part to get in trouble or vent frustration, I just tend to assume these things can, and do, happen in the course of normal RP. I know that Mayesha has done that to me on multiple occasions when she was an Imm and Scarabaeus has done it to me once or twice, however most of the time those were purely on accident or sometimes I look back on it and realize me holding a grudge were probably very much just miscommunication.

It didn't necessarily mean there was a good way to rectify those issues, especially nowadays that issuing enough exp to fix exp holes like that would give so many undeserved edge points it's not funny. Granted to be fair, there are times I would prefer to have kept the exp I might have lost in a quest rather than get more edge points. I as a player would be all over quest mob attacks for the RP if I knew I wasn't going to eat an experience hole for an errant fireball prog (or three) that a mob is going to toss in the middle of a round while an imm is controlling it even if I'm a much more efficient leveller today than I was even two years ago. These days I don't go poking around Arch-Devil Belial when I'm level thirty because some jackass hero is going to provoke the mob to prog and the controlling imm's hands are tied.

On the above note it'd be great if imms could use the 'noarea' command on controlled mobs the same way it works for conjies and elementals. That would go a long way toward making me less leery of watching RP in Market Square or something.

The latter shrine thing is actually something someone should never do, but I was giving it as an example anyway, someone might avoid interacting with a certain imm precisely because the follower they want dead is getting so much attention it never makes sense to actually attack them, at least within a certain hourly span. I know this was the case with my chars some times in the distant past regarding Entropy imms, and I know some Herald/goodie chars have gotten this much attention when I'm trying to stalk them legitly but they spend up to three RL hours in the shrine where there may or may not be a vis'd Imm present or they have a tattoo and access to said shrine that makes them inaccessible to the rest of the world, and there are some players who regularly garner so much attention regardless of character or by whoring a single favorite imm, that this happens on occasion now.

The examples I put forth weren't anything personal though, but rather a general description of the reasons that uncaballeds might want to avoid immteraction. At least in many cases those are only half of the reasons I as a player don't bother, the other more practical half is that while I know my RP is up to snuff, I may well not be up to the challenge PK/game knowledgewise to want to put forth a role that might require that kind of effort. Pure player deficiency might discourage going for immteraction either to do with a lack of patience or skill with the rewards. I just finished finding my first complete set of sleeks for a/b/s recently with a mage after several years of looking but it took me literally 12 straight hours of gameplay and asking at least five people ICly. I'm more inclined to claw my eyes out than risk being sent on a lich questy fetch-me-a-nosegay quest for seeking a given imm's tattoo or something.

Now of course if I'm off base on some of these and they're illegitimate fears of unreasonable behavior feel free to correct me.

"I have to admit I hate pretty much all of these ideas. " - Nepenthe, on New Ranger Skills

ValguarneraSun 11-May-08 08:45 PM
6904 posts
#21383, "RE: I don't have any particularly recent examples..."
In response to Reply #13

Now of course if I'm off base on some of these and they're illegitimate fears of unreasonable behavior feel free to correct me.

You presented those scenarios as if they're a concern, but apparently they're based on things that might or might not have happened, or been a result of your doing, possibly when Mayesha was active in 2001 or so. And not that you seem to be able to specify an incident.

As for quests:
"These days I don't go poking around Arch-Devil Belial when I'm level thirty because some jackass hero is going to provoke the mob to prog and the controlling imm's hands are tied."

One would think that the proper roleplay for a level 30 character in that scenario, should it ever come to pass, would be to run for the hills and inform those who have some chance of surviving.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

BraemirSat 10-May-08 08:34 AM
Member since 27th Sep 2007
45 posts
#21349, "Problem with Uncaballed"
In response to Reply #0

There is one major problem with watching Uncaballed characters. They aren't caballed. Caballed characters can be monoitored easier since they can talk over cb, not to mention generally have a defined focused.

With uncabaled character, an Imm needs to either follow a player around or snoop them. Which sounds easy enough. But then you need to couple in reading roles and multiple days of watching to see what they are about. Now if they are following a religion, their patron Imm will most likely be watching them, so that aides as well.

Often though, uncaballed characters want to just explore or test a race/class combo. So watching them might not result in anything to begin with. That's not to say nothing will ever happen, but Imms interact with players not because its a job, but because they find it fun as well.

As Ray mention, Imms do have other responsibilties so it is hard to squeeze that time out for an uncabaled, non-follower. Honestly, I wouldn't cross my fingers in hoping for love if you are uncabaled and don't follow an Imm. Time is a precious commodity. I say just go about what you planned to do with a character and if you get some Imm Love, then cool bonus. Not what you want to hear, but sometimes expecting less is better than expecting more.

RayihnSat 10-May-08 07:09 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#21348, "Probably"
In response to Reply #0

Though I will say that Eshval is *amazing* at keeping a thumb on uncaballed characters. Myself, running two religions and two cabals and trying to write areas and have a real life takes up the majority of my CF bandwidth, so I'll admit I don't do too much with uncaballeds except run the occasional role contest. Which reminds me...

Either way, it's all kind of relative. Each of the imms fills a certain niche, and we can't fill all niches. We try, though! A for effort?

wareagleSat 10-May-08 09:59 AM
201 posts
#21350, "A+"
In response to Reply #1

I hate posting like this because I always come off the wrong way. I'm really much more suave irl, but my posts just tend to come off as wagging the finger at whatever I'm posting about. Sorry about that.

RayihnSat 10-May-08 10:05 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#21351, "Well, you're right"
In response to Reply #3

The problem is, how do you fix it? We certainly could encourage one of the up and coming heroimms to be the 'uncaballed/non religion dude' but what about all the people who go uncaballed and unreligioned because they hate the imms? Some people don't WANT the interaction. Some people want to log on, level, pk, explore, etc, and aren't so much about the RP above the minimum that the game offers. If you have solutions for that problem, I'd egnuinely love to hear them. Otherwise, it sort of makes sense to think, this person is going to be caballed or a specific god's sphere because they want interaction. Further, for me personally, even if I see, say, a guy who's sphere water, I don't assume that they're wanting to follow me unless they say so in their role or come to my shrine or pray for me, and I'll generally leave them alone.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #21347 Previous topic | Next topic