Subject: "Why not be brutal?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2134
Show all folders

luisThu 28-Aug-03 06:57 PM
Member since 28th Aug 2003
5 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2134, "Why not be brutal?"

This post is about the cheating thread under this.

I have a few ideas that might help agaisnt the cheating:

1)Dont allow e-mail addresses, icq numbers,AIM numbers to be posted on risk of banning except for e-mails of the imms.(Common!,you dont want OOC cheating groups but you have a buddy list in the page,and you even offer aim or icq numbers to be posted on profiles??)

2)About Dio's you immortals know its cheating,yes its entertaining to see the logs but the posting of items,and the passing of icq numbers,aim etc goes rampant.(Yes,we have all seen the posts that ask for soandso´s icq number just to "Discuss past chars",hahahahhahah,right...). About this site and other similar, you can threaten to ban those you suspect to be using the site(all those lovely logs,and all those that use their char'name), you can also allow them to keep the way the are now,but at least ask them to do the same as 1) to eventually get rid of cheating rings.

3)Ban those you see in CF irc channels.

What will this do?,it will scare people into not doing cheating rings, eventually it will destroy the cheating rings themselves(people loose e-mail adrreses,icq numbers,etc. all the time)

Or you can choose to not do this.

Me,yes...,me.
And you can #### yourself if you comment on grammar or other mistakes of the same kind.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Why not be brutal?, Boldereth, 04-Sep-03 12:49 PM, #11
Reply RE: Why not be brutal?, shokai, 28-Aug-03 11:12 PM, #3
Reply You used the word betwixt..., Zepachu, 28-Aug-03 11:38 PM, #4
     Reply wherein I use another fun word.., shokai, 28-Aug-03 11:49 PM, #5
          Reply Don't hurt me, Shok., Zepachu, 28-Aug-03 11:53 PM, #6
          Reply to quote Mark Twain:, shokai, 29-Aug-03 12:11 AM, #7
               Reply RE: to quote Mark Twain:, Quiditus, 31-Aug-03 03:19 PM, #9
          Reply That's not a fun word!, Soren, 31-Aug-03 02:55 AM, #8
Reply hmmmm, Phaistus, 28-Aug-03 08:43 PM, #2
Reply well said, Quiditus, 31-Aug-03 03:22 PM, #10
Reply RE: Why not be brutal?, Jhyrbian, 28-Aug-03 07:52 PM, #1

BolderethThu 04-Sep-03 12:49 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
197 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2179, "RE: Why not be brutal?"
In response to Reply #0

Cheating will always occur. All the #### you propose will merely make people feel like they're dealing with nazis. Half the time, I get more fun ####ting about CF stuff that happened a year or two ago with my friends then I do actually playing the game.

shokaiThu 28-Aug-03 11:12 PM
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2137, "RE: Why not be brutal?"
In response to Reply #0

What will this do?,it will scare people into not doing cheating rings, eventually it will destroy the cheating rings themselves(people loose e-mail adrreses,icq numbers,etc. all the time)

Err, not quite. It's been proven by the past 8 years that what would happen, is that cheaters would dive even deeper into the depths of the woodwork, and make them even more difficult to root out. Additionally it would cause much more ill will betwixt mortals and imms, and in my opinion end up causing more harm than good.

The other thing that you get into, is fairness. Is it fair for me to tell people 'don't talk about CF outside the game?' Hell no. The other thing is, I (and I'm reasonably sure the other imms feel something along these lines) have little desire to engage in some sort of CF version of McCarthy-esque witchhunts.

Does cheating happen? Yes. Does it piss me off? Most of the time, yep. Do I think what you proposed would help more than harm? No, I really don't. I could launch into a much longer diatribe about the impossibility of what you propose and elaborate on the harms it would cause, but I think I've tossed enough reasons out there for the moment.

ZepachuThu 28-Aug-03 11:38 PM
223 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2138, "You used the word betwixt..."
In response to Reply #3

...that's part of the reason why you're awesome.

Betwixt.

hahaha

Actually relevant to thread:

I don't think these things would help stop cheaters, but it is appreciated that you put some thought into a solution rather than just bitching about it like some others do. We all know that there are OOC rings out there, and there are people sharing questy info and whatnot... Nothing we can do will stop that. The only thing that will is people being more 'moral' ... which inevitably gets the "It's a game, I'd rather focus on (something) instead of (some other) aspects."

Either way, I have always played for me. I don't cheat by way of using any OOC information to effect my character, which is the main reason why I only play one character at a time as well. There are other ways to help prevent yourself from 'accidently' or 'temptingly' using that kind of info. It's all about will power. I have fun with the GAME whether I die or not, whether I complete a quest or not, or get a tattoo, etc. If I'm not having 'fun' with my 'character' for a considerable amount of time, I delete and move on to something fresh. More people should have that outlook.

The truth of the matter is, psychologically people want instant gratification, or just general satisfaction, with none of the drawbacks. It's a game. You will die. You will get full looted. You will get ganged by six Maran/Imperials. You will live. You will regear. You will have some interactions. You will make 'friends' in game. The sooner people realize that, the sooner cheating will become less of a NECESSITY. That's what it is presently viewed and rationalized as by the Cheaters themselves.

Imms can't stop another website from posting ANYTHING. They have no control over it, nor should they. The only thing they can do is look for suspicious behavior, and hell, maybe even infiltrate those places and look for patterns. But I personally think that's going too far. They set out a bunch of rules, and look for people violating them. That's all they can do.

Furthermore, they appreciate input and feedback about things that look suspicious. Maybe they missed it. E-mail them if you have 'proof'...

That gives me an idea. Abuse@CarrionFields.com ? An Immortal response on that is pretty much necessary. Maybe if you Imms set up a specific e-mail account that would receive these reports, it would be more used and easier for you to sift through, rather than someone e-mailing "Imms@..." and people on the ImmStaff unnecessarily being spammed.

Shrug,

Zepachu.

The Nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

shokaiThu 28-Aug-03 11:49 PM
519 posts
#2139, "wherein I use another fun word.."
In response to Reply #4

The truth of the matter is, psychologically people want instant gratification, or just general satisfaction,

I've decided from here on out, cheating will not be called cheating, but rather masturbation. From now on people booted for cheating will be greeted by giggles as they get to inform the rest of the cf populace they were busted for masturbating. Sure it probably won't help cut down the cheating, but the snickers and giggles will probably be amusing.

As for the proposed email address, we already have one. Every imm on cf has an address @carrionfields.com. So having another email address for that would probably just be superfleous. Additionally imms@carrionfields.com and/or imps@carrionfields.com will get messages about cheating to people who can do something about it. I should point out here, not every accusation pans out, but all of them we do take into consideration.

Remember kids, if you cheat to often, you'll go blind.

ZepachuThu 28-Aug-03 11:53 PM
223 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2140, "Don't hurt me, Shok."
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Thu 28-Aug-03 11:53 PM

I do it because I care.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=superfluous

shokaiFri 29-Aug-03 12:10 AM
519 posts
#2141, "to quote Mark Twain:"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Fri 29-Aug-03 12:11 AM

"I never had any large respect for good spelling. That is my feeling yet. Before the spelling-book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed shades of their characters and also added enlightening shades of expression to what they wrote by their spelling, and so it is possible that the spelling-book has been a doubtful benevolence to us."
-Mark Twain

and

"I have had an aversion to good spelling for sixty years and more, merely for the reason that when I was a boy there was not a thing I could do creditably except spell according to the book. It was a poor and mean distinction and I early learned to disenjoy it. I suppose that this is because the ability to spell correctly is a talent, not an acquirement. There is some dignity about an acquirement, because it is a product of your own labor. It is wages earned, whereas to be able to do a thing merely by the grace of God and not by your own effort transfers the distinction to our heavenly home--where possibly it is a matter of pride and satisfaction but it leaves you naked and bankrupt."
-Mark Twain

:p God bless ye, Mr. Clemmons.

QuiditusSun 31-Aug-03 03:19 PM
56 posts
#2156, "RE: to quote Mark Twain:"
In response to Reply #7

reading all those words made my head hurt and "benevolence" sure is a big word, heh

SorenSun 31-Aug-03 02:55 AM
Member since 28th Jul 2003
42 posts
#2150, "That's not a fun word!"
In response to Reply #5

I've actually used it quite a bit. Last time I had relatives visiting me from US we made a point in trying to squizze it into as many sentences as possible.

Søren

PhaistusThu 28-Aug-03 08:43 PM
Member since 27th Aug 2003
186 posts
#2136, "hmmmm"
In response to Reply #0

I talk to a few people on AIM and a few people on IRC but honestly I dont permagroup with any of those people that I know. IMHO its just fun to talk to other people who also play the game.

QuiditusSun 31-Aug-03 03:22 PM
56 posts
#2157, "well said"
In response to Reply #2

I quite enjoy discussing past chars in real time with people on aim and such, rather than through the restrictions of a message board post. As far as cheating goes I don't know anyone on aim that will help me cheat, but I'll find someone with no respect for the game soon enough! I assure you that!!! hehe just kiddin.

peace and love and all that jazz,

Quiddie

JhyrbianThu 28-Aug-03 07:52 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2135, "RE: Why not be brutal?"
In response to Reply #0

Sorry pal, but this is quite possibly the dumbest thing i've ever read.

Cheers.
Jhyrb.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2134 Previous topic | Next topic