Subject: "Some ideas and except for flames, no expectations!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2044
Show all folders

Pro (inactive user)Wed 20-Aug-03 04:26 PM
Charter member
#2044, "Some ideas and except for flames, no expectations!"

Well I had it all set up nice and neat to make reading easier. I guess this will jhave to do.

Carrion Fields Suggestions
* Denotes delusional fantasies.

Racial adjustments

I’d like to see each non-human race get a champion chosen by the immortals. Each races Champion would have skills that influenced only his race in some minor way, when in said champs presence. Bonus to moral, increase in an attribute above even the racial max, champ has a special weapon or piece of eq Etc.

Arials: Unable to trip opponents while flying, loose ability to fly when half max weight is reached.
+1 scan range due to sharp eyes.

Dwarves:

Dwarves: Renamed to distinguish from the generic, ‘Dwarf’. Mountain/Hill/Rock etc. resistant to Black Jack, Nerve, Vital.

Duergar: 22 max Str

Elves: Allow them to wield Vuln weapons. (An Iron tipped spear would have a wooden
handle, a sword a leather grip, character could wear gloves, perhaps hand-wear would be a requirement.)

Dark-Elves: No adjustments.

Elves: Rename to distinguish from the generic, ‘Elf’. High/Moon/etc. +1 Wis

Wood-Elves: Give regular ‘Quiet Movement’, Detect snares (Ranger only).

Felar: In the finest feline tradition, Felar always land on their feet and are immune or
resistant to Throw and Trip.

Giants: Up giant sizes by 1 increment. Add other Giant races: Frost, Hill, etc. All giants
unable to be thrown, Immune and semi-resistant to Black Jack while standing to creatures 2 sizes smaller. Immune to Black Jack while sitting/resting to creatures 3 sizes smaller. Example: Standing vs. human= Immune. Resting vs. human= Jackable but still resistant. Resting vs. gnome=Immune. On the ground vs. gnome= Jackable but still resistant. On the ground vs. Human=Jackable with no resistance. Sleeping vs. any race=Jackable no resistance. I Hope that’s clear.

Fire Giants: No adjustments

Storm Giants: No adjustments

Cloud Giants: Lose resist cold and Vuln to wrath. Unable to trip while flying, lose flight when half or more max weight reached.

Gnomes:

Gnomes: Rename to distinguish from the generic, ‘Gnome’. Wood gnome/Rock gnome etc.

Svirfneblin: 21 max Str

Half-Breeds: Allow to wield Vulns. (An Iron tipped spear would have a wooden handle,
as word a leather grip, character could wear gloves, hand-wear could be a requirement for this ability.)

Half-Elves:

Half-Drow:

*Half-orcs: Like orcs but 16 int, 17 wis, 22 con, less susceptible to vulns, giant-sized, can choose home town of Grinning skull/Galadon/Arkham. Scan like under-dark dwellers. Can be a Berserk, Shaman, or a Warrior. No mandatory wimpy.

Minotaurs: Immune to Berserker’s ‘Demoralize’ and confusion.

Orcs: Lower orcish steal ability to 11th level. They can only steal from each other
anyway. Lower hide to sub 20 levels. The Orcs can’t sneak and have fairly limited areas and times that they can use the hide skill. No mandatory wimpy, It’s hard to get off a good round of skills before you wimp out. I’d like to see orcs a ferocious race. Perhaps a Half-Orc option like I’ve outlined above that is free of the wimpy.

Class Adjustments
Anti-Paladin: No adjustments

Assassins: Make mark of the prey similar to the old Arbiter, Guard Channel. The
Assassin would be notified by various crooks and hoodlums in civilized areas. Rare should the informant be that is far from a civilized infrastructure. Remove effect of it allowing camo to be detected.

Berserk: Please see Orcs above.

Conjurer: Expand Mephitology.
Lava Mephit: Destroys anything dropped on the ground, Lights room, causes fires. Fights Ooze Mephit.
Ooze Mephit: Makes floor slippery, Mephit randomly blinds people with blobs of goo. Smothers fire. Fights Lava Mephit.

Steam Mephit: Like smoke mephit, but causes minor damage to all in room every tick.

Ale Mephit: What ale’s ya? HAHA! Really, I got nuthin.

Healer: No adjustments

Invoker: No adjustments

Necromancer: Augment undead? Dunno.

Paladin: No adjustments

*Possessor: After a battle of wills possessor gains control of victim’s body until it is
killed. This could mean that he gets control of a kobold or a dragon. His skill set is basically that of said victim.

Shaman: No adjustments

Thief: The ability to hear everything an individual is saying to include tells, group tells,
and CB’s. The thief could over hear a 3-person group tell conversation only if all 3 were in the room. If a group were scattered, he would only be able to hear the characters he was standing next to.

Transmuter: No adjustments

Warrior: Allow for a Two-Handed Stance, similar to Paladin Two-Handed Dedication.
More damage, possible Fifth attack when two-handed. They would never get shield block. Allow for Shield Specialization similar to Paladin Shield Spec. Shield Mastery, resist/deflect/rebound direct magical attacks such as Lightning bolt, Magic Missle, cones, depending on level. Maybe never get 4th attack.

These are just some of the things I was able to type up during my work-shift. I realize these are my ideas and there are undoubtedly game balance and player/staff opinions and issues that will make some or all of them impractical.

I’m really excited about the upcoming inherent abilities for races. Personally I’m glad to see CF put more emphasis on racial differences and I’m looking forward to reading the new help files on the various races. To recap what I’m always saying, I’d like to see a shift toward racial wars and away from the cabal wars. Or perhaps a blend, for instance, Empire could be a humanistic cabal, with lesser positions for non-humans.

It would be simpler.
Dwarf vs. Orc/Duergar/Drow
Orc vs. everyone but especially Elf/Dwarf
And so on.

Inherant skills could be race based against hated race.

Well I’m out of time. If nothing else I hope some of my ideas spark ideas.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

QuisletThu 21-Aug-03 03:20 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
240 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2057, "RE: Some ideas and except for flames, no expectations!"
In response to Reply #0

(disclaimer: personal opinion only. Apparently I now need to say that often lately)

There's plenty of things I disagree with and some I'm neutral about, and one I'm unsure about. I'll only address three.

One, I'm against anything that makes CF any more like the stereotypical Dungeons and Dragons campaign settings than it already is. Specifically, a lot of those suggested race tweaks.

Two, have you considered just how little most arials could wear even without extra supplies if they were limited to half max weight for flight? Most arials would practically have to ditch half their armor just to fly somewhere. Additionally, half max weight affects the cloud giants very little. So, if there's weight involved in being able to fly, just for game balance reasons if nothing else, I'd give arials a boost for having wings. Maybe they'd be 3/4 and cloud giants would be 1/2. But personally, I don't see why either race should be limited in the ability to fly. Would you like to share your reasoning on that one?

Three, I'm not sure how much thieves can currently hear or will be able to hear, but if they can't hear person to person whispers, it might make a nice extra skill. I can see the reasoning on group tells also, but tells seem a little different to me, and maybe harder to overhear if even possible.

QuiditusThu 21-Aug-03 02:07 AM
56 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2056, "jesus that was alot of ideas"
In response to Reply #0

some I agree with, some I don't. but nonetheless just the sheer thought of all that coding and making sure everything in balance just makes me cringe

UlulariWed 20-Aug-03 06:58 PM
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2052, "expectations!"
In response to Reply #0

>Transmuter: No adjustments
>
>Warrior: Allow for a Two-Handed Stance, similar to Paladin
>Two-Handed Dedication.

Uh...

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2044 Previous topic | Next topic