Subject: "Underwater + Sleep + Seaweed" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #19204
Show all folders

PlushkaMon 10-Sep-07 12:43 AM
Member since 16th Feb 2005
150 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#19204, "Underwater + Sleep + Seaweed"

Is there a way to make it so you don't lose exp when a PKer sleeps you under water and your seaweed wears out?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Yes., GinGa, 10-Sep-07 10:59 AM, #1
     Reply I disagree - there are times when it can happen, LazyLaz, 10-Sep-07 08:36 PM, #2
          Reply RE: I disagree - there are times when it can happen, TheFrog, 10-Sep-07 08:49 PM, #3
               Reply Or use seaweed., GinGa, 11-Sep-07 12:13 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: Because anything else is dispellable/retarded., Vladamir, 12-Sep-07 02:55 PM, #5
                    Reply Mariners, "last breath" and newbies, LazyLaz, 14-Sep-07 11:50 AM, #6
                         Reply What it sounds like..., GinGa, 14-Sep-07 05:38 PM, #7

GinGaMon 10-Sep-07 10:59 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19218, "Yes."
In response to Reply #0

Seaweed lasts 30+ hours. The best knockouts won't last 11. Eat seaweed when your timer hits 15 to refresh the affect, and get another 40 hours of waterbreathing.

This is also handy in long underwater fights. There is absolutely no reason to let your water breathing timer go under 10 hours if you're underwater.

Yhorian

LazyLazMon 10-Sep-07 08:36 PM
Member since 16th Aug 2007
5 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19232, "I disagree - there are times when it can happen"
In response to Reply #1

1. If you're relying on gill growth. That has a relatively short timer - not much over 10 ticks at hero.

2. If you're a mariner without water breathing up and manage to flee underwater and get slept.

3. Same as #2, but if you have the "last breath" edge.

The imms have done a good job of removing most xp draining due to pks. (One "by design" exception would be WANTED flags.) I don't see it as being a big deal to check if the person is unconcious from another player and have them not lose xp. Hell, it would be nice if the person that knocked them out got credit for the pk too.

I'm not sure why they introduced xp loss due to drowning in the first place. I think they may have done it to penalize a common means of ditching flags, but if that's the case, why not just apply the xp penalty only to those who are flagged?

TheFrogMon 10-Sep-07 08:49 PM
Member since 23rd Dec 2005
77 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#19233, "RE: I disagree - there are times when it can happen"
In response to Reply #2

Perhaps one solution would be to stop, or slow, the timer on Water breathing when you're slept (spell or song).

GinGaTue 11-Sep-07 12:13 PM
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19240, "Or use seaweed."
In response to Reply #3

Because anything else is dispellable/retarded.

Even Mariners just use their drawbreath to gather seaweed. Gill growth is also a temporary measure, until you... gather seaweed!

You can buy huge amounts of light seaweed for something ridiculous like 12 copper a piece. It'll last 35+ hours and beat the pants off anything but a storm giants lungs.

Yhorian

VladamirWed 12-Sep-07 02:55 PM
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#19254, "RE: Because anything else is dispellable/retarded."
In response to Reply #4

Not true. There is eq that gives water breathing that can't be dispelled. The robes can be dispelled, the rings/gills cannot. Thats why the rings are so nice.

LazyLazFri 14-Sep-07 11:50 AM
Member since 16th Aug 2007
5 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19265, "Mariners, "last breath" and newbies"
In response to Reply #4

My point about mariners and "last breath" in general isn't related to drawbreath. A mariner (and I assume anyone with the last breath edge) can go underwater without having any waterbreathing affect up. If they're fighting someone on the open sea and flee down, and the person pursues and sleeps them, they're ####ed.

I don't have a problem with them dying this way, but I don't think they should be punished with an XP penalty for it either.

All in all, I've never been died in this manner by being slept underwater, and I doubt that any other vets would die in this manner. I do find it likely that a newer player could die in this manner, and they're the ones being punished with the XP penalty. They're also the ones that are more likely to be disheartened and leave CF permanently when met with a death like that.

I know it makes you look like an "online badass" when you stand your ground and call things retarded while ignoring arguments to the contrary. But please, just say you don't mind a minor change on the immortals' part by fixing the "water breathing always equals XP penalty" code.

Come on, Yhorian, do it for the kids.

GinGaFri 14-Sep-07 05:38 PM
996 posts
#19266, "What it sounds like..."
In response to Reply #6

Is you're looking for a 'no exp penalty' way to suicide.

It's too abusable. And the situation so damn rare, it's not worth worrying about.

Please don't pull the 'Won't someone please think of the Noobies!!!' line again.

Yhorian

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #19204 Previous topic | Next topic