Subject: "poll: thin gear spots" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1683
Show all folders

IsildurFri 18-Jul-03 11:54 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1683, "poll: thin gear spots"

I'm curious what others have to say about wear positions (or weapon types) that are "thin" with respect to a given class/race/align. An example, to get the ball rolling:

Legs for good-aligned fighter types.

There is one piece of (incredibly) good legwear for good-aligned fighter types but it's highly limited and extremely hard to get. The next best thing is easy to get and is fairly ubiquitous.

Contrast this with something like "about body", where there are all sorts of things to wear and a steady progression from "adequate and easy to obtain" to "awesome and difficult to obtain".

Thoughts? Try to avoid specifics so posts don't start disappearing.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AvilionFri 18-Jul-03 09:06 PM
Member since 18th Jul 2003
25 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1701, "RE: poll: thin gear spots"
In response to Reply #0

I don't think there's a wide selection of belts, flails, and whips.

One of the things I would like to see more is class_only race_only
and combinations (class_only + race_only). This is the gear that
I find is most exciting, because no one else in the game can wear
it. These items really bring a uniqueness about your character.

In addition, class / race restricted gear is cool because even if
it's limited.. not many people are likely to be using it. I love
it when I play a rarer combo cuz people bring me the items they
find (they can't use).

These sorts of items can also be used to encourage and balance out
some of the weaknesses of a combo. Elf_only evil_only gear with
+hp (hint hint). =)

Circuits Edge (inactive user)Fri 18-Jul-03 09:24 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #3

HI! I WOULD LIKE TO SEE erm. I would like to see Herald tailored gear that has stats too. I could look good and not compromise my hp/mana/saves/stuff. Would Graatch wear some fishnet stockings if they gave him 100 dam, even if he was a male char? I think so. So too would I wear my 'Made in Herald land' t-shirt more often if it did that. We could even make it so that if you wear a mask with a dwarven beard on it, you'd be able to wear dwarf_only gear. Is that cool or what?

On a more serious note, there's an amazing amount of race/class only gear already around that I've never seen anyone wearing. Well, other than the occasional drow Herald with a piece or two. And hey, it just happens to enhance hp.

madgleeMon 21-Jul-03 08:04 PM
11 posts
#1756, "RE: poll: thin gear spots"
In response to Reply #4

I don't know enough about gear to comment, but I laughed out loud about your idea of mask with a dwarven beard. GRIN.

QuisletFri 18-Jul-03 01:57 PM
240 posts
#1687, "RE: poll: thin gear spots"
In response to Reply #0

>Contrast this with something like "about body", where there
>are all sorts of things to wear and a steady progression from
>"adequate and easy to obtain" to "awesome and difficult to
>obtain".

While "about body" is easy enough to get, it doesn't fit on arials who have to wear things on their wings. Wing gear is pretty sparse, as it tail gear for felar.

Even less available is arial head gear. Hats, crowns, and hoods are relatively easy to get decent examples of, but they still leave the face wide open. I've only seen two decent masks that fit over arial beaks, three if you're a female arial. One of those masks is hard to get if you can't see certain things, another is in an area I have yet to explore, and the third is hard to get til you approach hero. Maybe arials aren't supposed to have a good selection because they're almost forced to double up? Or maybe I'm just missing a lot and need to explore more. I do think my lack of area knowledge explains why I have so much trouble getting something decent for felar tails.

ValguarneraFri 18-Jul-03 08:39 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1698, "RE: Rare wear-spots."
In response to Reply #1

While "about body" is easy enough to get, it doesn't fit on arials who have to wear things on their wings. Wing gear is pretty sparse, as it tail gear for felar.

To an extent, this will always be true. While we're increasing the number of items of this sort (and hooves and horns, etc.), they're going to be rare at the end of the day. That's just a matter of:

1) Most PCs have no use for them.
2) Most NPCs wouldn't sensibly carry them.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1683 Previous topic | Next topic