Subject: "Yet another RADICAL idea: EMPIRE" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1198
Show all folders

Anal_RetentiveMon 09-Jun-03 03:13 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
52 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1198, "Yet another RADICAL idea: EMPIRE"

I know all of you imms have spent a huge amount of time with the whole Empire thing, but here is an idea if you ever decide to revamp empire.

Don't divide empire into sects that are based on class.

Divide it into four seperate "imperial houses" that any class could join.

I think that this would expand the possibilities for RP in that it would create much more internal yet workable conflict.

For example all those blades are no longer groveling or whatever to a divine sect member for protection. I realize that this is not always the case but it seems that it is a lot of time. It would cause the houses to have an internal struggle of sorts trying to lure certain classes into their house.

Well anyways I think you get my idea. Keep the powers the same for each class of course. I just think that the rp possibilities would be greater and a lot more fun.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Yet another RADICAL idea: EMPIRE, Zulghinlour, 09-Jun-03 03:51 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Yet another RADICAL idea: EMPIRE, Isildur, 09-Jun-03 04:30 PM, #2
     Reply in all seriousness, incognito, 09-Jun-03 06:36 PM, #3
          Reply RE: in all seriousness, Isildur, 10-Jun-03 10:43 AM, #5
               Reply RE: in all seriousness, Valguarnera, 10-Jun-03 01:03 PM, #6
     Reply Well I guess I did not think of that, Anal_Retentive, 09-Jun-03 11:46 PM, #4

ZulghinlourMon 09-Jun-03 03:51 PM
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1199, "RE: Yet another RADICAL idea: EMPIRE"
In response to Reply #0

>Don't divide empire into sects that are based on class.
>
>Divide it into four seperate "imperial houses" that any class
>could join.

So everyone can join imperial house A and be a big happy family? I don't think so.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

IsildurMon 09-Jun-03 04:30 PM
5969 posts
#1200, "RE: Yet another RADICAL idea: EMPIRE"
In response to Reply #1

No, silly, let the Sorting Hat decide.

incognitoMon 09-Jun-03 06:36 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1201, "in all seriousness"
In response to Reply #2

I think it needs the current set-up to retain any semblance of game balance.

The perceived imbalance now is due to the numbers on each side of the good/evil divide at hero. Numbers change more frequently than cabal powers.

Increasing the co-operation between different classes in the Empire would result in an a lopsided battle imho.

IsildurTue 10-Jun-03 10:43 AM
5969 posts
#1207, "RE: in all seriousness"
In response to Reply #3

One thing I like about it is that it would allow for one House to have spies in another House. It's hard to get a warrior into the Black sect to act as a spy for the Blades. But if all the Houses can take all classes it would be much easier to slip someone in. Just a thought. You could also add some pre-History so that none of the Houses like each other. And, like now, whichever House the Emperor belongs to could be given all sorts of perks (to the chagrin of the other Houses). Think "drow society" but with more than just drow.

Alternately, there could be a new mini-cabal centered around some drow secret society. Maybe they work to subvert other races, maybe they're an advance scout group for an invasion from the Underdark, who knows. Could possibly tie to them to the pair that took over Velkyn Oloth. Very weak powers (if any) but would add some role-play opportunities. I haven't thought alot about it, but I sort of like the idea of mini-cabals. Like a normal cabal w/ regard to role-play requirement and difficulty of entry, but with very weak powers (if any) and no item to defend. Basically it would amount to a very slight game-play reward for putting up some additional RP, and would provide another medium for players to interact with other players. Maybe only the leader gets any powers - having a cabal channel alone is enough of an advantage.

ValguarneraTue 10-Jun-03 01:03 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1208, "RE: in all seriousness"
In response to Reply #5

You're going to run into one of two issues:

1) Players choose houses of new initiates. Weenies flock to the House in power. Or that their friend is running. It would be an extension of the problems we see in the broader cabal wars (*), except we have an Empire system that avoids it right now. The most effective combat groups tend to draw on different types of classes, and the current system makes assembling this a political issue.

2) New houses are assigned randomly. Then you can't recruit, and there can't really be roleplay differences between the houses, because you could get assigned to the one you're supposed to hate.

(*): "Hey! Look! 7 guys from Cabal A are on, and 0 from their enemy, Cabal B!"

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Anal_RetentiveMon 09-Jun-03 11:46 PM
52 posts
#1203, "Well I guess I did not think of that"
In response to Reply #1

Maybe give each house different powers.
Anyhow was just an idea.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1198 Previous topic | Next topic