Subject: "Wither" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #11968
Show all folders

Marcus_Thu 26-Jan-06 09:37 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
681 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11968, "Wither"

Would you please make wither take away actual hours rather than years from the lifespan, if not remove that affect completely? Right now it completely ####s over the more short-lived races.

Nobody should age-die in 200 hours.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Wither, Valguarnera, 23-Jan-06 06:32 PM, #4
Reply Hrm., Marcus_, 23-Jan-06 07:23 PM, #5
     Reply Didn't you regularly wear other age affecting eq too? n..., Vladamir, 23-Jan-06 07:45 PM, #7
     Reply Nope. Don't think I ever wore any other age affecting i..., Marcus_, 23-Jan-06 08:59 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Hrm., Aarn, 24-Jan-06 09:12 AM, #14
          Reply How?, (NOT Pro), 26-Jan-06 02:31 AM, #11
               Reply Shamans use it for the -str, Theerkla, 26-Jan-06 08:54 AM, #12
               Reply -30 (n/t), nepenthe, 26-Jan-06 09:29 AM, #13
                    Reply I must gear for saves too often, Theerkla, 26-Jan-06 10:27 AM, #16
                         Reply Yup., Valguarnera, 26-Jan-06 10:34 AM, #17
               Reply RE: How?, Aarn, 26-Jan-06 09:47 AM, #15
                    Reply RE: How?, Isildur, 26-Jan-06 04:24 PM, #18
                         Reply I agree, DurNominator, 26-Jan-06 05:08 PM, #19
Reply RE: Wither, Isildur, 23-Jan-06 05:49 PM, #1
     Reply Pretty sure no...., Tac, 23-Jan-06 05:59 PM, #2
     Reply I thought blademaster's gloves got him. nt, Dallevian, 23-Jan-06 06:10 PM, #3
     Reply Eh?, Marcus_, 23-Jan-06 07:26 PM, #6
          Reply ADD, Tac, 23-Jan-06 09:50 PM, #9
     Reply No..., Eskelian, 24-Jan-06 02:08 AM, #10

ValguarneraMon 23-Jan-06 06:32 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11977, "RE: Wither"
In response to Reply #0

Would you please make wither take away actual hours rather than years from the lifespan, if not remove that affect completely? Right now it completely ####s over the more short-lived races.

That's the main drawback of those races. Lifespan's impact in terms of hours played isn't so profound, but you have to be more careful about unnatural aging, particularly...

Nobody should age-die in 200 hours.

Bundeltorf wore multiple heavy-duty +aging items, which did at least as much damage as Wither. That was what directly killed him. Pushing a human's age way up when you know Wither has taken a toll is pretty reckless, and completely avoidable. There's maybe a couple dozen items in the game that unnaturally age a character.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Marcus_Mon 23-Jan-06 07:23 PM
681 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11982, "Hrm."
In response to Reply #4

>> Bundeltorf wore multiple heavy-duty +aging items, which did at least as much damage as Wither. That was what directly killed him. Pushing a human's age way up when you know Wither has taken a toll is pretty reckless, and completely avoidable. There's maybe a couple dozen items in the game that unnaturally age a character.

I doubt this, as I was only wearing two +age items for a total of +16 years. Of course it's impossible for me to be sure, but from what I've heard a life-shortening wither can take away up to 15 years, which suggests an average of 7.5 years(about 60 hours for a human) each time it happens. And I was withered four times, three of them gave the 'takes years away from your life' echo. While I was playing, didn't notice the aging affect on the withers, as I never had any problem with it before (never even had a char enter old age).. Had I remembered to count the agings I wouldn't have worn those damn rings.

VladamirMon 23-Jan-06 07:45 PM
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#11984, "Didn't you regularly wear other age affecting eq too? n..."
In response to Reply #5

nt

Marcus_Mon 23-Jan-06 08:23 PM
681 posts
#11985, "Nope. Don't think I ever wore any other age affecting i..."
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Mon 23-Jan-06 08:59 PM

but I can't swear on it. If i wore anything else, it was a 1 time deal. And as a lowbie. In the last 100 hours or so of bundeltorf's life, he only used eog rings that were age affecting.

AarnThu 26-Jan-06 09:37 AM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
#12001, "RE: Hrm."
In response to Reply #5

Maybe I'm missing something, but by your own math there you managed to whack off a maximum of (16+15+15+15=) 61 years. That might cut your average human lifespan from, what, 85 down to 24? That's a lot of freakin' aging. Or if you go with just average withers, 38.5 years. Either way it's bad.

Anyway, the nice thing about +aging affects is that with just a HAIR of planning, they're really easy to avoid for anyone. Yes, wither affects too.

Aarn

Pro (inactive user)Thu 26-Jan-06 02:31 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #14

All I see is Shamans doing EVERY thing they can to land that sup.

TheerklaThu 26-Jan-06 08:54 AM
1055 posts
#12031, "Shamans use it for the -str"
In response to Reply #11

With the potential to dish out -20 strength, if it hits for full affect, most folks are dropping their weapons.

nepentheThu 26-Jan-06 09:29 AM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12032, "-30 (n/t)"
In response to Reply #12

Har?

TheerklaThu 26-Jan-06 10:27 AM
1055 posts
#12037, "I must gear for saves too often"
In response to Reply #13

Don't think I've been hit by a biggie in a while. That and I'm like Denny Crane - mad-cow disease, so my memory is alllowed to be spotty.

ValguarneraThu 26-Jan-06 10:34 AM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12039, "Yup."
In response to Reply #16

Gearing for saves is particularly effective against Wither. I've always tended to overgear for saves, and I don't think I've never had a character eat a "full" Wither, let alone age loss.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

AarnThu 26-Jan-06 09:47 AM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
#12034, "RE: How?"
In response to Reply #11

Sorry, to be clear I meant it's fairly easy to avoid the aging affects of wither. Not necessarily the wither itself. And I don't mean it's some super-secret way, just think about how most spells in the game work.

Aarn.

IsildurThu 26-Jan-06 04:24 PM
5969 posts
#12040, "RE: How?"
In response to Reply #15

It just seems like a lame aspect of the commune. It's not like shamans would quit withering if it suddenly lost the aging affect. Hell, if you want to compensate for removing the aging then add a little extra strength malediction. Or make it a tad harder to save against. It just rubs me the wrong way that another character can reduce the amount of time I can play my character before he/she dies.

I mean, it's not like the current relation of player-hours to character-years is particularly rational. Elves age die around 650 hours and arials around maybe 500, despite elves living about ten times as many "in character" years.

DurNominatorThu 26-Jan-06 05:08 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12041, "I agree"
In response to Reply #18

I'd also want to see rot-induced con deaths removed. Isn't the supplication good enough without the lame kill chance?

IsildurMon 23-Jan-06 05:49 PM
5969 posts
#11970, "RE: Wither"
In response to Reply #0

I was under the impression that being withered moves one closer to the next age category but doesn't actually make age death happen any sooner. So you feel the affects of aging sooner if you're withered alot, but don't actually age die any sooner.

That may just be wishful thinking on my part.

TacMon 23-Jan-06 05:59 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#11971, "Pretty sure no...."
In response to Reply #1

That arial or whatever age died faster because of a shaman, but I think Marcus chooses to age death by wearing lots of aging gear instaed of deleting when he's tired of a character (since these are the only one's of late that have age died at really low hours that I recall).

DallevianMon 23-Jan-06 06:10 PM
1620 posts
#11974, "I thought blademaster's gloves got him. nt"
In response to Reply #2

Could be wrong on which character we're talking about.

Marcus_Mon 23-Jan-06 07:26 PM
681 posts
#11983, "Eh?"
In response to Reply #2

Like I said, I wore two eog rings.. Last time I wore both, it just bumped me into old age. And why the hell would you think I choose to age die when it's happened to me once and I'm currently bitching about it? Daft.

TacMon 23-Jan-06 09:50 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#11988, "ADD"
In response to Reply #6

I didn't bother to see who started the thread, and I *thought* it was you that played a muter fortie not to long ago that your didn't want to delete, and didn't want to play anymore, so you basically age deathed him on purpose, but obviously I was mistaken.

EskelianTue 24-Jan-06 02:08 AM
2023 posts
#11998, "No..."
In response to Reply #1

But if it was nearly as effective as "7.5 years avg, 3/4 times its cast", you can bet your ass I'd have used it a lot more . I hit one person with the aging affect. Maybe I was just unlucky. I don't disagree with Marcus, merely that I used it in pretty much every defense/raid/gang-beat-down where I wasn't solo (since, wither, solo, is usually relatively pointless) and I never got to age die anyone.

Maybe you got unlucky, or maybe you were mistaken about some ID's on your gear, or maybe +16 rings plus 3 ages that are less than 7.5 each could get lucky and age die you at under 83 years old.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #11968 Previous topic | Next topic