Subject: "Sanctuary" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1191
Show all folders

CaptainAverageSun 08-Jun-03 09:22 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
31 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1191, "Sanctuary"

A quick question I had.

Recently, I raided the Warlocks tower and found myself face to face with the angel that guards the outer entrance. Being still young myself, taking the angel was a challenge. This challenge was added when several elder warlocks showed up and cast stoneskin and then sanctuary on the angel. I can understand the decrease in damage against the angel from stoneskin, but why would sanctuary make a difference when my character has a goodly soul? I didn't look at the angel's aura, but I would assume its either goodly as well, or neutral. I thought sanctuary was supposed to protect someone from attacks of the opposite alignment. I don't know. Anyway, I was using a wrathful weapon coupled with a mithril weapon. So, what gives?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FalstaffMon 09-Jun-03 12:19 PM
136 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1197, "RE: Sanctuary"
In response to Reply #0

It's probably the Acolytes healing/sancing the angel. I've seen it before, Warlocks call for help and the dawnies come running.

You as a "young" character would be hard pressed to outdo the damage a few hero healers can repair per round, especially if they've sanc'ed the angel and the warlocks have invoker shielded it. Best bet for you is to get a few elder PC's to go with you next time to occupy the priests that come calling.

-Falstaff

TheerklaMon 09-Jun-03 08:48 AM
1055 posts
#1195, "You seem to have misinterpreted what you saw"
In response to Reply #0

There is no class that can cast stoneskin on another pc or mob. I'm fairly sure there aren't any wands/staves/scrolls that can grant stoneskin to anyone other than the user of said item. Therefore, what you are calling stone skin was likely another spell - invoker shields maybe?

There is no mage that can grant sanctuary and priests can't be warlocks. I'm 99 and 44/100% sure no item does either. So, either someone else gave the angel sanctuary or again this was a different spell.

That and of course, Isildur and Zulghinlour are correct. Sanctuary grants 50% damage reduction against any and all damage, regardless of alignment, type, or source.

incognitoMon 09-Jun-03 11:40 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1196, "Not to be pedantic but a few additions"
In response to Reply #3

> There is no class that can cast stoneskin on another pc or mob.

The nexus bond can allow shifters to do this for their bondmates, unless it has been changed from what I remember.

> I'm fairly sure there aren't any wands/staves/scrolls that can grant stoneskin to anyone other than the user of said item. Therefore, what you are calling stone skin was likely another spell - invoker shields maybe?

I know of a number of stoneskin preps/items and the only one that I think -might- grant stoneskin to anyone other than the user is a scroll. But I'm not sure.

>There is no mage that can grant sanctuary

This is only true if you restrict the mage to casting. There are items that grant sanctuary. One of them is a staff. So I'd say a mage can use this to grant sanctuary. Theerkla is correct that a mage cannot cast the spell though (at least your average mage who has no extra spells).

> and priests can't be warlocks.

This is probably true. Strange things happen though. Once people would have said a necromancer couldn't be a warlock. But I've known communers try to get into warlock and they've all failed.

> I'm 99 and 44/100% sure no item does either.

This is wrong. At least one item could grant it to the angel.

> So, either someone else gave the angel sanctuary or again this was a different spell.

I suspect Theerkla is correct in that a non-warlock priest would have been the source. It would be unusual for a warlock to sanc the angel.

> That and of course, Isildur and Zulghinlour are correct. Sanctuary grants 50% damage reduction against any and all damage, regardless of alignment, type, or source.

Yep. It is the protection spell that only works against though of opposite alignment, as stated by others.

IsildurMon 09-Jun-03 08:30 AM
5969 posts
#1194, "RE: Sanctuary"
In response to Reply #0

You're thinking of protection.

ZulghinlourSun 08-Jun-03 09:44 PM
9792 posts
#1192, "Sanctuary damage reduction is not alignment dependant (..."
In response to Reply #0

n/t

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1191 Previous topic | Next topic