Subject: "Bounty suggestions." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1066
Show all folders

KadsuaneThu 15-May-03 05:06 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
169 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1066, "Bounty suggestions."

There should be a little more freedom with the Bounty system I thinks. For starters you should be able to remove them after they have been set. For a cost ofcourse, say you lose half of what you offered up if you recall the bounty. But things change you know your enemy one day maybe your friend the next, so being able to remove a bounty can sometimes be in a persons's interest.
Other Idea I had for bounty was to make it anonymous, more in secret type stuff. So no one knows who put the bounty on someone, keeps you guessing and for obvious reason makes the use of bounty more likely. I figure you guys coded this stuff to actually see it used.
Anyway thats my two rupees

Much Love
Crazy Injun

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply bounty cancel available next crash/reboot (n/t), Zulghinlour, 16-May-03 08:55 PM, #10
Reply :-) nt, Xaannix, 18-May-03 12:18 AM, #12
Reply RE: Bounty suggestions., nepenthe, 16-May-03 05:30 PM, #9
Reply The two suggestions, DwE, 16-May-03 04:50 PM, #8
Reply RE: Bounty suggestions., Zulghinlour, 16-May-03 01:38 PM, #2
Reply actually that's a good idea, incognito, 16-May-03 02:36 PM, #3
Reply What if, Xaannix, 16-May-03 03:35 PM, #4
Reply RE: What if, Zulghinlour, 16-May-03 04:01 PM, #5
Reply RE: What if, Xaannix, 16-May-03 04:33 PM, #7
     Reply Uhhh, Valkenar, 17-May-03 12:38 AM, #11
Reply RE: What if, Valguarnera, 16-May-03 04:05 PM, #6
     Reply RE: What if, Kadsuane, 18-May-03 12:23 AM, #13
     Reply RE: What if, Xaannix, 18-May-03 04:43 AM, #15
     Reply Humm. I sing First Tenor..., Cassman, 07-Jun-03 10:33 AM, #16
Reply RE: Bounty suggestions., Kadsuane, 18-May-03 12:31 AM, #14
Reply maybe pay extra fo anonymity, incognito, 16-May-03 03:43 AM, #1

ZulghinlourFri 16-May-03 08:55 PM
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1087, "bounty cancel available next crash/reboot (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0

n/t

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

XaannixSun 18-May-03 12:18 AM
499 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1091, ":-) nt"
In response to Reply #10

nt

nepentheFri 16-May-03 05:30 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1085, "RE: Bounty suggestions."
In response to Reply #0

>There should be a little more freedom with the Bounty system
>I thinks. For starters you should be able to remove them after
>they have been set. For a cost ofcourse, say you lose half of
>what you offered up if you recall the bounty. But things
>change you know your enemy one day maybe your friend the next,
>so being able to remove a bounty can sometimes be in a
>persons's interest.

I can see just being able to remove a bounty you placed. Getting the money back I don't like, lest the bounty system become a poor man's fence skill.

(Granted, you could sort of do this already to some degree by going into cahoots with someone, getting them to place bounties on you and letting them kill you, but that's such obviously poor RP that I have no problem busting out the whooping stick on it.)

DwEFri 16-May-03 04:50 PM
358 posts
#1083, "The two suggestions"
In response to Reply #0

1) You can cancel a bounty you placed without refund. (The bounty office is under no obligation to correct the assumption that a bounty exists with hunters in the field)

2) A limited anonymity could reasonably come into play.
* Pay a premium to withhold your identity in the general bounty list
* Know that the office can be bribed to give up your name
- The larger the bounty the higher the bribe? Why stick your neck out against someone with that much copper?

Whether those sound good to the staff is one thing and whether they are worth doing is another. The first suggestion is something that has never crossed my mind, but the second.. I'd pay an extra 5-10% to get my name off the list. At the very least I know I'd be forcing someone to pay that much to find out who I am. }>

ZulghinlourFri 16-May-03 01:38 PM
9792 posts
#1075, "RE: Bounty suggestions."
In response to Reply #0

>There should be a little more freedom with the Bounty system
>I thinks. For starters you should be able to remove them after
>they have been set. For a cost ofcourse, say you lose half of
>what you offered up if you recall the bounty. But things
>change you know your enemy one day maybe your friend the next,
>so being able to remove a bounty can sometimes be in a
>persons's interest.

If this went into affect, it'd likely be that you lost everything. The bounty office doesn't care if you guys are now friends, he's still got overhead to clear. You don't want it anymore, fine...he keeps it.

>Other Idea I had for bounty was to make it anonymous, more in
>secret type stuff. So no one knows who put the bounty on
>someone, keeps you guessing and for obvious reason makes the
>use of bounty more likely. I figure you guys coded this stuff
>to actually see it used.

So what's to stop the guy you are paying to keep it anonymous from selling that information to someone else for an even higher price? Is this acceptable, or do you just want complete anonymity (in which case, it likely isn't going to happen).

incognitoFri 16-May-03 02:36 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1078, "actually that's a good idea"
In response to Reply #2

One reason for a bounty office not to reveal who placed the bounty is the same reason that Lokrin kept people who put bounties though him anonymous. Anonymity is good for the business. Keep the placers of bounties secret, and more people should place them.

But if you don't like the idea of secret bounties, then I submit that the idea of allowing someone to pay more than the bounty just to find out who placed it is a good one.

XaannixFri 16-May-03 03:35 PM
499 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1079, "What if"
In response to Reply #2

the guy who wants to find out who put the bounty, he has to pay for that information, 50% of the bounty value? Making the info available to everyone kind of defeats the purpose of a contract killer and authorizing a contract.

>You don't want it anymore, fine...he keeps it.

That has no logic whatsoever. You say it like it is OBVIOUS that this is how things MUST be...*roll* Why does everything with you have to be so extreme? Overhead would be a certain % of the total bounty to make things worth it.
As for losing everything if you recall the bounty, thats retarded and unrealistic, from any point of view. 50% would be reasonable, and would also be a lot of money if the sum is great enough.

I like the secrecy part, its nice. Keeps people guessing as to who their enemy is. Could be someone in their own cabal.

ZulghinlourFri 16-May-03 04:01 PM
9792 posts
#1080, "RE: What if"
In response to Reply #4

>>You don't want it anymore, fine...he keeps it.
>
>That has no logic whatsoever.

Really...You pay a guy $50,000 to kill someone. Two weeks later you come back and tell him, nevermind I don't want him killed, can I have my money back? The outcome I see here is you getting killed and him keeping the money.

>As for losing everything if you recall the bounty, thats
>retarded and unrealistic, from any point of view. 50% would be
>reasonable, and would also be a lot of money if the sum is
>great enough.

In regards to the bounty office. There are people actively hunting this guy that you have a bounty on. You suddenly yank the bounty on him...these guys are gonna be pissed off. The bounty guy has to cover his ass. The bounty office doesn't give a rats ass about you and changing your mind. He cares about profit, and his own ass.

>I like the secrecy part, its nice. Keeps people guessing as to
>who their enemy is. Could be someone in their own cabal.

As I said...it will never be truly anonymous, there will always be a way to find out who placed the bounty. Money buys information.

XaannixFri 16-May-03 04:23 PM
499 posts
#1082, "RE: What if"
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Fri 16-May-03 04:33 PM

**Really...You pay a guy $50,000 to kill someone. Two weeks later you come back and tell him, nevermind I don't want him killed, can I have my money back?**

Actually the 'market' has a 50% contract cancelation fee. Some go as high as 70%, depending on the expenses incurred and trouble so far and the nature of the contract.

You could go, 15% if person is between rank 11-20, 30% for 20-30, 50% for 30-40, 80% for 40-51. SO you get back money depending on what rank your contract target is. So the above % is retained based on what your target's rank is now, not on what he was when you placed the bounty. *shrug*

**The outcome I see here is you getting killed and him keeping the money. **

No, that build a bad reputation and eventually nobody is going to place contracts with you anymore. That only happens in the slums and ghetto, not with organized bounty hunters (offices) or 'respectable' contract killers.

Another option would be, that once you cancel more than 2 contracts on the bounty office, you care no longer allowed to place bounties on anyone for quite some time.

**As I said...it will never be truly anonymous, there will always be a way to find out who placed the bounty. Money buys information.**

Im not saying to have it completely anonymous. What im saying is to make people pay for that information. Not to get it for free.

ValkenarSat 17-May-03 12:38 AM
1203 posts
#1088, "Uhhh"
In response to Reply #7

Out of curiosity, do you happen to be a contract killer? You seem very sure you know exactly how it works.

ValguarneraFri 16-May-03 04:05 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1081, "RE: What if"
In response to Reply #4

I would first like to express my appreciation for statements like:

Why does everything with you have to be so extreme? .... As for losing everything if you recall the bounty, thats retarded and unrealistic, from any point of view.

Now that my irony quota is out of the way, my retarded and unrealistic point of view is that the bounty industry isn't going to be populated by the Floofi Paladin Glee Club. This is the reason bounty offices are relegated to places like Arkham and Dagdan. If you cut a deal with them, you can't just back out. It'd be like trying to explain to your Mafia loan shark that you just don't need the money any more, and you'd like to return the original sum and part of the accrued interest.

I could also see some form of "bounty cancel" command (it's no skin off their back to toss out an unfulfilled contract), but I don't see them cutting the rebate check.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

KadsuaneSun 18-May-03 12:23 AM
169 posts
#1092, "RE: What if"
In response to Reply #6

The idea about money back.. that was just a spur of the moment thing. Being able to cancel bounties was my main point. Now that I think about it, getting your money back from a merc operation isnt something that should be possible. From a rp point of view im not even sure a character would want to try.

Much Love

Cuddly Parv

XaannixSun 18-May-03 04:43 AM
499 posts
#1094, "RE: What if"
In response to Reply #6

>I would first like to express my appreciation for statements
>like:
>
>Why does everything with you have to be so extreme? .... As
>for losing everything if you recall the bounty, thats retarded
>and unrealistic, from any point of view.

Always a pleasure Valg, youre welcome.
Cheers.

CassmanSat 07-Jun-03 10:33 AM
257 posts
#1173, "Humm. I sing First Tenor..."
In response to Reply #6

the Floofi Paladin Glee Club

Do you have to be Lawful Good ? 'cause that would suck.

-Cassman-

KadsuaneSun 18-May-03 12:31 AM
169 posts
#1093, "RE: Bounty suggestions."
In response to Reply #2

>>Other Idea I had for bounty was to make it anonymous, more
>in
>>secret type stuff. So no one knows who put the bounty on
>>someone, keeps you guessing and for obvious reason makes the
>>use of bounty more likely. I figure you guys coded this
>stuff
>>to actually see it used.
>
>So what's to stop the guy you are paying to keep it anonymous
>from selling that information to someone else for an even
>higher price? Is this acceptable, or do you just want
>complete anonymity (in which case, it likely isn't going to
>happen).
>

Yeah I agree here. Make anonymity breakable if someone comes in and pays a sum equivalent to the initial bounty that was set, to find out who set it. From the bounty office's stand point this would be a two fer. This would also promote healthy competition in the bounty system. And tempt people into setting higher bounties than what I have been seeing, some of them have been down right pitiful. 10-12k bounties on hero lvl chars. Come on

P.S appreciate the changes you already made

Thats my two rupees!

Much Love
Crazy Parv

incognitoFri 16-May-03 03:43 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1071, "maybe pay extra fo anonymity"
In response to Reply #0

I know from when I played Lokrin that having the bounty office publish you as the placer of a bounty put a lot of people off.

Usually they are placed by people who cannot handle the guy the bounty goes on. So the last thing they want is for that person to know they placed it.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1066 Previous topic | Next topic