Subject: "New functionality to detect charm." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #24635
Show all folders

KoeKhaosSun 10-May-09 03:35 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24635, "New functionality to detect charm."

Make it be able to tell the happiness level of a servitor when you look at it? Might be reall hard to do, but it would be soo nice and make detect charm more useful.

look elemental
You sense that an elemental is content.
You sense that an elemental is ambivalent.
You sense that an elemental is upset.

Something like that would be a really cool tool to have. Maybe even as an edge you can get for the spell. Thanks for the thought!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply There's a very easy way of detecting servitor happiness, WraithOfLight, 13-May-09 04:04 PM, #10
Reply What about passive-aggressive servitors?, DurNominator, 14-May-09 09:45 AM, #11
     Reply Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible., WraithOfLight, 14-May-09 04:05 PM, #12
          Reply I think that's exactly it., Splntrd, 14-May-09 04:28 PM, #13
          Reply I was just pointing out that you oversimplified things, DurNominator, 15-May-09 03:07 AM, #14
               Reply The over-simplification was deliberate, WraithOfLight, 15-May-09 02:59 PM, #15
                    Reply Conjuring used to be easier., KoeKhaos, 16-May-09 12:37 AM, #16
                         Reply RE: Conjuring used to be easier., Daevryn, 16-May-09 08:39 AM, #17
                              Reply RE: Conjuring used to be easier., Isildur, 16-May-09 08:43 AM, #18
                              Reply Is that a bad thing? nt, WraithOfLight, 16-May-09 11:38 AM, #19
                                   Reply In many ways and for many reasons yes., Turing, 16-May-09 01:36 PM, #20
                                        Reply AFAIK, WraithOfLight, 16-May-09 07:29 PM, #21
                                        Reply Daytime for goodly night time for evil too., KoeKhaos, 16-May-09 07:34 PM, #22
                                        Reply I know this is going to bite me in the ass someday, WraithOfLight, 16-May-09 07:43 PM, #26
                                        Reply So I'm not insane?, KoeKhaos, 16-May-09 07:46 PM, #27
                                        Reply No difference for day/night, Daevryn, 16-May-09 09:05 PM, #35
                                             Reply Really?, KoeKhaos, 16-May-09 10:36 PM, #39
                                        Reply RE: AFAIK, Daevryn, 16-May-09 09:06 PM, #36
                                        Reply Further:, Daevryn, 16-May-09 09:09 PM, #38
                                        Reply RE: In many ways and for many reasons yes., Zulghinlour, 16-May-09 07:43 PM, #25
                                             Reply No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Turing, 16-May-09 08:39 PM, #28
                                                  Reply True, it's the time sinks that sucks as a conjurer., KoeKhaos, 16-May-09 08:06 PM, #30
                                                  Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Zulghinlour, 16-May-09 08:09 PM, #31
                                                  Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Turing, 16-May-09 08:14 PM, #32
                                                       Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Daevryn, 16-May-09 09:06 PM, #37
                                                            Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Turing, 17-May-09 09:11 AM, #42
                                                                 Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Daevryn, 17-May-09 10:55 AM, #43
                                                                      Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Turing, 17-May-09 11:52 AM, #44
                                                  Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Daevryn, 16-May-09 09:02 PM, #34
                                                       Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Isildur, 16-May-09 10:44 PM, #40
                                                       Reply RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with., Turing, 17-May-09 09:05 AM, #41
                              Reply Well, being insane isn't a bad thing., KoeKhaos, 16-May-09 07:33 PM, #23
                                   Reply RE: Well, being insane isn't a bad thing., Zulghinlour, 16-May-09 07:38 PM, #24
                                        Reply Well, it was much earlier than that when I noticed the ..., KoeKhaos, 16-May-09 08:22 PM, #29
                                        Reply RE: Well, being insane isn't a bad thing., Daevryn, 16-May-09 09:00 PM, #33
Reply Don't need it, and the imms have already said they are ..., Scrimbul, 10-May-09 02:58 PM, #4
Reply hurr hurr, Turing, 11-May-09 04:04 PM, #5
     Reply It doesn't. nt, KoeKhaos, 11-May-09 10:53 PM, #6
          Reply Yes, it does., Turing, 12-May-09 10:06 AM, #7
               Reply Ok, let me rephrase. You're semi-wrong., KoeKhaos, 12-May-09 11:58 AM, #8
                    Reply Internet battle go, Turing, 12-May-09 05:53 PM, #9
Reply Never played a conjurer. Probably never will. But this ..., _Magus_, 10-May-09 10:10 AM, #3
Reply GREAT IDEA -nt-, Turing, 10-May-09 09:51 AM, #2
Reply Nice idea n/t, Dervish, 10-May-09 04:46 AM, #1

WraithOfLightWed 13-May-09 04:04 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2008
45 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24687, "There's a very easy way of detecting servitor happiness"
In response to Reply #0

If it's not pounding on you, all is well.

DurNominatorThu 14-May-09 09:45 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24699, "What about passive-aggressive servitors?"
In response to Reply #10

That don't quite help you as much as they could because they don't like your face. A passive-aggressive archon, for example, wouldn't be a nice thing to have when you are relying it to heal you in a fight.

WraithOfLightThu 14-May-09 04:05 PM
45 posts
#24702, "Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible."
In response to Reply #11

Instead... only try to realize the truth ...

I don't understand why you people want to de-mystify things, when it's exactly that mystery, that makes it fun/rewarding.

Conjurers are clearly designed to be hard to figure out, just accept that, or play something else.

SplntrdThu 14-May-09 04:28 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24703, "I think that's exactly it."
In response to Reply #12

They've put a great deal of effort into designing ways for the process to wrong. Yes, there's a system for finding out how to make things go "more right", but if it was too obvious there'd be no point in implementing "wrong" ways to do it, because then no one would ever do it wrong.

Splntrd

DurNominatorFri 15-May-09 02:37 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24704, "I was just pointing out that you oversimplified things"
In response to Reply #12
Edited on Fri 15-May-09 03:07 AM

Or are you saying that evil conjurer's archon performs just as well as goodie conjurer's archon if they happen to be same kind of archons of the same level? When I levelled with an evil conjie who called an arhon, he decided to use a demon/devil instead since the archon was clearly being passive-aggressive and didn't really dish out healing for the conjie.

I'm just pointing out that the happiness is a sliding scale as far as I know and not quite as simple two-state happy/whacking you -system you let out. My point was not to demystify conjies, just to show that there's something there, I don't know all the details. I think it is better that it is known that there is more content and depth into the servitor happiness than the sudden state switch from happy to whacking you.

BTW. I never said that I wanted a more thorough means for conjies to find out the servitor happiness. The disagreement was what you said and not with what your policy decision was, which I think was fine.

WraithOfLightFri 15-May-09 02:59 PM
45 posts
#24708, "The over-simplification was deliberate"
In response to Reply #14

And aimed to point out what I said on the follow-up post.

At high level, happiness is rather easy. You just know an evil conjie isn't going to do as good with an Angel/Archon as an actual goodie. That's just obvious.

Other than that, it's try your luck. Which is what the entire class is about.

KoeKhaosSat 16-May-09 12:37 AM
400 posts
#24710, "Conjuring used to be easier."
In response to Reply #15

They've made conjurers harder and more of a crap shoot over the years and it's kinda annoying. It also seems like when they added conjurer edges, they made conjuring harder to compensate, so now with edges is what it used to be like before edges. I could be insane, but with around 10 hero conjurers under my belt, this is my general feeling. It's really such a pain now days.

DaevrynSat 16-May-09 08:39 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#24711, "RE: Conjuring used to be easier."
In response to Reply #16

You're insane.

I'm just saying.

IsildurSat 16-May-09 08:43 AM
5969 posts
#24712, "RE: Conjuring used to be easier."
In response to Reply #17

He is. But the overall point that there's a lot of "black box" stuff related to conjurers is still semi-valid, I think.

WraithOfLightSat 16-May-09 11:38 AM
45 posts
#24713, "Is that a bad thing? nt"
In response to Reply #18

TuringSat 16-May-09 01:36 PM
Member since 06th Apr 2009
112 posts
#24714, "In many ways and for many reasons yes."
In response to Reply #19

Take a skill which you can use every 50 ticks.. Which has vague and incomplete helpfiles and requires him to use all of his mana several times over which has a VERY good chance of killing you. If you ask "why is this skill killing me". You will be called a noob and told you should of used your full mana bar in the circle & binding & dismissal. Without fail the answer to every death is "you made a mistake".

In truth servitors happiness is RNG to begin with, and involves too many unknown to be managed perfectly.

One question I've always had (for example) is: "How do you conjure servitors which aren't pissed off on arrival?". This seems to be the most glaring problem for the class imo.

WraithOfLightSat 16-May-09 07:29 PM
45 posts
#24716, "AFAIK"
In response to Reply #20

- Don't summon within cabal grounds
- Don't summon within the guild

- Don't summon orderly oriented servitors unto wild areas
- Don't summon wild servitors into civilized grounds
- Some may like to see your familiar around, others don't

- Some servitors would likely be happy to find something in particular, upon their arrival

- Don't play a neutral/evil conjie before trying a goodie.

- If all else fails, a strong bind is your friend.

And so on ...

Just put yourself in a servitor's shoes. Basically, you grab them by the proverbial collar and drag them into a new environment. If they're happy or not depends upon how welcoming it is to the servitor, or not.

But what do I know ...

KoeKhaosSat 16-May-09 07:32 PM
400 posts
#24717, "Daytime for goodly night time for evil too."
In response to Reply #21
Edited on Sat 16-May-09 07:34 PM

Never did notice a differance in wilderness/civilization though. Also always seemed to get better conjurations outdoors than indoors. For archons anyhow. Also, I think Nep just posted the other day that familiars don't help you get better conjurations.

WraithOfLightSat 16-May-09 07:43 PM
45 posts
#24721, "I know this is going to bite me in the ass someday"
In response to Reply #22

But don't take everything Nep says as the literal truth
Doesn't necessarily mean it's not true though.

KoeKhaosSat 16-May-09 07:46 PM
400 posts
#24722, "So I'm not insane?"
In response to Reply #26

Good to know. Seriously though, all I play are neutral conjurers pretty much and they have been much more diffacult to play since edges came in. I rarely died to a lesser arch-angel prior to edges being put in the game. Now a lesser arch-angel is a no #### 50% chance of death. Ah well.

DaevrynSat 16-May-09 09:05 PM
11117 posts
#24731, "No difference for day/night"
In response to Reply #22

Honestly, y'all make this more complicated than it actually is.

KoeKhaosSat 16-May-09 10:36 PM
400 posts
#24737, "Really?"
In response to Reply #35

Through all of my characters I've had a MUCH higher chance of getting a strong archon during the day. That's archons from around 10 conjurers. I'd do the math, but I am way too lazy. If this is true... wow... I'm going to start playing differant.

DaevrynSat 16-May-09 09:06 PM
11117 posts
#24732, "RE: AFAIK"
In response to Reply #21

>- Don't summon orderly oriented servitors unto wild areas

Doesn't matter. Although that's an interesting idea this isn't currently a factor.

>- Don't summon wild servitors into civilized grounds

Doesn't matter. Same commentary.

>- Some may like to see your familiar around, others don't

Doesn't matter.

DaevrynSat 16-May-09 09:09 PM
11117 posts
#24734, "Further:"
In response to Reply #21

Here is the complete list of factors as to whether a servitor is angry or not upon initial arrival, in the general case:

- What kind of servitor it is (demons are more murderous than archons, etc.)

- Your alignment/ethos relative to the servitor's alignment/ethos.

- Your charisma.

And then there's some luck. Sometimes even if you're good you get an angel that isn't all that happy. Them's the breaks.

Exceptions to the above or cases where there are additional factors are mostly obvious or stated in helpfiles, such as svirf and earth elementals.

That's it. It's really not that mysterious or complicated.

ZulghinlourSat 16-May-09 07:43 PM
9792 posts
#24720, "RE: In many ways and for many reasons yes."
In response to Reply #20

>Take a skill which you can use every 50 ticks.. Which has
>vague and incomplete helpfiles and requires him to use all of
>his mana several times over which has a VERY good chance of
>killing you. If you ask "why is this skill killing me". You
>will be called a noob and told you should of used your full
>mana bar in the circle & binding & dismissal.

Uhm, no you won't. And it's not required.

>In truth servitors happiness is RNG to begin with, and
>involves too many unknown to be managed perfectly.

No, it's fairly stable to begin with.

>One question I've always had (for example) is: "How do you
>conjure servitors which aren't pissed off on arrival?". This
>seems to be the most glaring problem for the class imo.

Ripping someone from their plane of existince, bringing them into yours and binding them to your will isn't a "happy" thing. Take it a step further, being an evil conjurer and ripping an archon from its plane of existence and binding it to do your bidding is likely going to make it even more pissed. Taking that archon, and hunting down some dude in Fortress goes against everything the archon stands for (but is bound to do your bidding so ultimately can't resist, but sure as hell can get pissed off about it).

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

TuringSat 16-May-09 08:02 PM
112 posts
#24723, "No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #25
Edited on Sat 16-May-09 08:39 PM

A conjurer can conjure a servitor of the -same- alignment and it will come angry. If it's angry, it'll turn at an inopportune time even if the conjurer has made an effort to please it.

KoeKhaosSat 16-May-09 08:04 PM
400 posts
#24725, "True, it's the time sinks that sucks as a conjurer."
In response to Reply #28
Edited on Sat 16-May-09 08:06 PM

Which is why I made a post about making contact other planes not so painful. That was actually much more important to me than this post. Not sure why it blew up like it did while the other post got ignored. However, I don't think conjurers are broken. Don't take that awayt from my posts. If you are smart, you will rarely die. But it takes a #### ton of patience.

ZulghinlourSat 16-May-09 08:09 PM
9792 posts
#24726, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #28

>At 36% health the demon turns and kills the conjurer.

And this has absolutly nothing to do with how happy or sad the harmentia demon is. It's just a bloodthirsty bastard preying on your weakness.

TuringSat 16-May-09 08:14 PM
112 posts
#24728, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #31

But this type of demon doesn't turn on you when your health is low. And 36%? That's not a threshold any demon uses.

DaevrynSat 16-May-09 09:06 PM
11117 posts
#24733, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #32

>And 36%? That's not a threshold any demon uses.

I wouldn't say that's true.

TuringSun 17-May-09 09:11 AM
112 posts
#24740, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #37
Edited on Sun 17-May-09 09:11 AM

The didn't didn't turn just because of health. It turned because it was angry on arrival, and I had fled a few times, and I was low health.

This wishy-washy mysterious nature behind how happy or how sad servitor is has really got to be clarified better, if you expect players to enjoy the class.

To put things in perspective, you tell players what their morale is.

You tell them what their stats are at level 1.

For as important servitors are to a conjurer, why wouldn't you tell conjie players what the servitor morale is?

DaevrynSun 17-May-09 10:55 AM
11117 posts
#24742, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #42

>This wishy-washy mysterious nature behind how happy or how sad
>servitor is has really got to be clarified better, if you
>expect players to enjoy the class.

Yet you always play conjurer, you always do reasonably well with it, and you always complain about it.

You must be enjoying yourself, and I'm pretty sure you're going to find something to complain about no matter what I do.

TuringSun 17-May-09 11:51 AM
112 posts
#24743, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #43
Edited on Sun 17-May-09 11:52 AM

>
>>This wishy-washy mysterious nature behind how happy or how
>sad
>>servitor is has really got to be clarified better, if you
>>expect players to enjoy the class.
>
>Yet you always play conjurer, you always do reasonably well
>with it, and you always complain about it.
>
>You must be enjoying yourself, and I'm pretty sure you're
>going to find something to complain about no matter what I
>do.

I don't think I'm complaining. I'm just throwing in my two cents, because honestly.. I don't think most people (most immortals included) understand or appreciate the challenges of the class.

The suggestion that Khaos made was a very good one.

DaevrynSat 16-May-09 09:02 PM
11117 posts
#24730, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #28

>A conjurer can conjure a servitor of the -same- alignment and
>it will come angry.

Shockingly, this is more true as the servitor gets closer to chaotic evil.

Surely you're not surprised that the demon doesn't want to hug a chaotic evil conjurer just because they both have black hats.

IsildurSat 16-May-09 10:44 PM
5969 posts
#24738, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #34

But what if it's my conjurer's role that he was the Prince of Demons who was accidentally transported to the prime plane and trapped in a human body? Huh? Huh?

TuringSun 17-May-09 09:05 AM
112 posts
#24739, "RE: No, it's fairly stable to begin with."
In response to Reply #34

>>>>In truth servitors happiness is RNG to begin with, and
>>>>involves too many unknown to be managed perfectly.
-Turing

>>>No, it's fairly stable to begin with.
-Zulg

>>A conjurer can conjure a servitor of the -same- alignment
>and
>>it will come angry.
-Turing

>Shockingly, this is more true as the servitor gets closer to
>chaotic evil.
>
>Surely you're not surprised that the demon doesn't want to hug
>a chaotic evil conjurer just because they both have black
>hats.
-Nep

I just want to show why there is so much confusion.

KoeKhaosSat 16-May-09 07:32 PM
400 posts
#24718, "Well, being insane isn't a bad thing."
In response to Reply #17
Edited on Sat 16-May-09 07:33 PM

But last three neutral conjurers had about twice as many deaths to servitors as my previous four neutral conjurers. Could all just be coincidence!

ZulghinlourSat 16-May-09 07:38 PM
9792 posts
#24719, "RE: Well, being insane isn't a bad thing."
In response to Reply #23

I just ran through the source code for conjureres, and I honestly don't think we've changed anything specific to the mechanics of conjuring in years (I went back through 2007). We've changed/added/removed echoes, added edges, but that's really it.

KoeKhaosSat 16-May-09 08:03 PM
400 posts
#24724, "Well, it was much earlier than that when I noticed the ..."
In response to Reply #24
Edited on Sat 16-May-09 08:22 PM

These are only my hero conjurers. I had multiple level 30-45 ones not counted.
2001-2 Warlock, can't remember the name. First CF hero, other than my Lord Adept of Necromancy
2002 Unalim, Warlock
Missing one here.
2003 Gyronalis, neutral
2004 Kedewyn, neutral
2005 Sotino, neutral
Missing one or two here.
2008 Ashtalar, neutral
2009 Current, neutral

So basically, I've died a lot more post somewhere between 06-07 time frame. Some time after edges were added. I rarely died to arch angels with Kedewyn or Gyronalis, with ashtalar and the other more recent I can't recall, it was literally every other that would break binding and kill me or just be flat out impossible to bind. I don't even bother with an arch-angel as a neutral conjurer anymore. Demons are much less likely to kill me. Like I said though, might be all in my mind like Nep said and is certainly nothing I think you need to waste your time on! Conjurers are still quite nice, even with the major risks. I was just putting a thought out on making detect charm more interesting and it blew up somehow.

DaevrynSat 16-May-09 09:00 PM
11117 posts
#24729, "RE: Well, being insane isn't a bad thing."
In response to Reply #24

This is correct to my memory as well.

Conjurer edges coming in only helped conjurers. If you're dying more now you're either unlucky, have a selective memory, or doing something different.

ScrimbulSun 10-May-09 02:58 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#24662, "Don't need it, and the imms have already said they are ..."
In response to Reply #0

TuringMon 11-May-09 04:04 PM
112 posts
#24666, "hurr hurr"
In response to Reply #4

Because the act of walking around doesn't make it dead obvious already.

KoeKhaosMon 11-May-09 10:53 PM
400 posts
#24673, "It doesn't. nt"
In response to Reply #5

TuringTue 12-May-09 10:06 AM
112 posts
#24678, "Yes, it does."
In response to Reply #6

The speed at which a servitor follows you is directly related to how pleased the servitor is. When you have two servitors out at the same time, it's especially apparent. If your demon lags behind the elemental and takes nearly a tick to enter the room you can bet it's about to turn.

KoeKhaosTue 12-May-09 11:54 AM
400 posts
#24680, "Ok, let me rephrase. You're semi-wrong."
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Tue 12-May-09 11:58 AM

Servitors can and do turn even when they follow you quick. Yes it's true that sometimes they follow slower when mad, but it isn't always a true indication. Perhaps even indicate how strong the binding is holding on them would be nice. I dunno, just seeing that they are bound makes detect charm a rather useless spell. It should tell you a little bit more I wish.

TuringTue 12-May-09 05:52 PM
112 posts
#24683, "Internet battle go"
In response to Reply #8
Edited on Tue 12-May-09 05:53 PM

Average speed of your servitor based on a large enough pool of data IS a true indication of the mood of the servitor. Outliers exist, which is why you move around a lot if you'd like to gauge the morale of your servitor.

I agree that detect charm should be more useful, but damn! When you're wrong, you're wrong.

_Magus_Sun 10-May-09 10:10 AM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
#24655, "Never played a conjurer. Probably never will. But this ..."
In response to Reply #0

nt

TuringSun 10-May-09 09:51 AM
112 posts
#24652, "GREAT IDEA -nt-"
In response to Reply #0

nt.

DervishSun 10-May-09 04:46 AM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#24636, "Nice idea n/t"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #24635 Previous topic | Next topic