Subject: "CF Marketing question" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #650
Show all folders

ORBSat 02-Jul-11 01:31 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
993 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#650, "CF Marketing question"

How much is getting an icon for your mud on Top Mud Sites? Also how much would it be to get it as a default in Zmud? I'd be willing to contribute heavily to that or outright pay it if it's not overly expensive.

That which does not kill us,
makes us stronger.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Bumping again - Any response for the $240.00 something ..., Batman (Anonymous), 09-Aug-11 05:14 PM, #21
Reply I'm busy as #### and don't have time to look into this, Zulghinlour, 09-Aug-11 05:28 PM, #22
     Reply Thanks and sorry. ~, Batman (Anonymous), 09-Aug-11 05:45 PM, #23
     Reply I'd be busy too if I suddenly had $240 to blow., Tsunami, 09-Aug-11 05:51 PM, #24
     Reply So postpone it., robdarken_, 09-Aug-11 06:03 PM, #25
Reply Bumping again for any response. NT, Batman (Anonymous), 06-Aug-11 03:52 PM, #20
Reply Valg helped me out with something like this a few years..., Lokain, 05-Aug-11 06:22 PM, #19
Reply Re: Zmud, Zulghinlour, 02-Jul-11 10:51 AM, #4
Reply RE: CF Marketing question, Nnaeshuk, 02-Jul-11 07:36 AM, #1
     Reply Pay to Play Muds. booooooooo. n/t, Lhydia, 02-Jul-11 10:00 AM, #2
     Reply Thanks to Nreykre!, Nnaeshuk, 02-Jul-11 10:16 AM, #3
          Reply RE: Thanks to Nreykre!, ORB, 03-Jul-11 04:43 AM, #5
               Reply RE: Thanks to Nreykre!, ORB, 13-Jul-11 07:06 PM, #6
                    Reply RE: Thanks to Nreykre!, Nnaeshuk, 14-Jul-11 06:01 AM, #7
                    Reply RE: Thanks to Nreykre!, ORB, 25-Jul-11 05:34 PM, #9
                         Reply BUMPING THIS BECAUSE IT IS WORTHWHILE, Batman (Anonymous), 30-Jul-11 06:02 PM, #10
                              Reply THIRDING THIS, Gaspar, 30-Jul-11 07:52 PM, #11
                              Reply Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..., Homard, 04-Aug-11 06:13 PM, #12
                              Reply RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..., Nreykre, 04-Aug-11 08:10 PM, #13
                                   Reply I'll label the $60.00 as specific for advertisements., Batman (Anonymous), 04-Aug-11 08:21 PM, #14
                                   Reply Add another 60$ from me to advertisment then., Amberion, 05-Aug-11 02:21 AM, #15
                                        Reply Mark me down for $60 as well. nt, N b M, 05-Aug-11 10:46 AM, #17
                                   Reply RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..., ORB, 29-Sep-11 12:35 PM, #26
                                        Reply RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..., HammerSong, 29-Sep-11 12:37 PM, #27
                                             Reply RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..., HammerSong, 29-Sep-11 12:39 PM, #28
                                             Reply RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..., ORB, 29-Sep-11 05:03 PM, #29
                                                  Reply RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..., HammerSong, 29-Sep-11 07:20 PM, #30
                                                  Reply Ugg, I should have responded to this a long time ago..., Nnaeshuk, 30-Sep-11 05:34 AM, #31
                              Reply I'm in for $60, Canadian though, so I'll take more cred..., demos (Anonymous), 05-Aug-11 10:44 AM, #16
                                   Reply Dude that wouldn't even get 1 pbf. n/t, Lhydia, 05-Aug-11 03:38 PM, #18
                    Reply RE: Thanks to Nreykre!, N b M, 14-Jul-11 06:07 PM, #8

Batman (inactive user)Tue 09-Aug-11 05:14 PM
Charter member
#681, "Bumping again - Any response for the $240.00 something ..."
In response to Reply #0

Anything?

I mean, anything?

ZulghinlourTue 09-Aug-11 05:28 PM
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#682, "I'm busy as #### and don't have time to look into this"
In response to Reply #21

There's your response.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Batman (inactive user)Tue 09-Aug-11 05:45 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #22

~

TsunamiTue 09-Aug-11 05:51 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#684, "I'd be busy too if I suddenly had $240 to blow."
In response to Reply #23

huehuehue

kidding!

robdarken_Tue 09-Aug-11 06:03 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#686, "So postpone it."
In response to Reply #22

I'm willing to throw in a one time 60 dollars, whenever, for the next year or two and I'm sure Bats and a few others are too.

I know it's an issue of time and you probably don't feel it's worth the time expense, but no harm done. I'm not trying to be pushy, I'm just saying, if you ever want to look into it at any point, you have a sure 120 to start with. If you never want to look into it that's no big deal.

I'd even try to make the thing if you give the okay.

Chill out.

Batman (inactive user)Sat 06-Aug-11 03:52 PM
Charter member
#679, "Bumping again for any response. NT"
In response to Reply #0

Boomp

LokainFri 05-Aug-11 06:22 PM
Member since 03rd Jul 2009
173 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#678, "Valg helped me out with something like this a few years..."
In response to Reply #0

Maybe he is the one to help us get the ball rolling?

A few years back I paid for the banners on TMS for a 3 or 6 month period, I don't remember exactly. He was the one who walked me through the steps in finding the right icon and what not, and then I just sent the money to the TMS people and voila!

The Z/CMUD thing seems much better. I'm sure we could find enough people to pony up 60-100 bucks to get it up there. I think it's worth a shot.

ZulghinlourSat 02-Jul-11 10:51 AM
9792 posts
#654, "Re: Zmud"
In response to Reply #0

Zmud is auction based, and only happens once a year if I recall. This is from an email I received from them in 2008

If you haven't used the bidding system before, please be sure to read the instructions linked to the page given above. Bidding works similar to eBay, with a minimum starting bid of $1000 for a year of icon display in CMUD and zMUD. The top ten bids are selected for icon display. Last year the last winning icon was $1500 and the top winning icon bid was $3000.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

NnaeshukSat 02-Jul-11 07:36 AM
Member since 13th Apr 2010
141 posts
#651, "RE: CF Marketing question"
In response to Reply #0

I don't remember exactly how much each of these are, but we did check into both of these. The default icon on ZMUD was retarded expensive. I'll see if I can dig up the actual prices, but I remember being completely astounded by how expensive it really was. I don't know how some of them do it.

Nae-nae

LhydiaSat 02-Jul-11 10:00 AM
2377 posts
#652, "Pay to Play Muds. booooooooo. n/t"
In response to Reply #1

gr

NnaeshukSat 02-Jul-11 10:16 AM
141 posts
#653, "Thanks to Nreykre!"
In response to Reply #1

http://www.topmudsites.com/advertise.shtml

Nae-nae

ORBSun 03-Jul-11 04:43 AM
993 posts
#655, "RE: Thanks to Nreykre!"
In response to Reply #3

I'd like to make a $60 donation so we get it for 14 months. Should I just send it with pay pal? Do you have a cool Icon we could use?

makes us stronger.

ORBWed 13-Jul-11 07:06 PM
993 posts
#658, "RE: Thanks to Nreykre!"
In response to Reply #5

Do you guys not want to do this even if I pay for it? I think it will help bring people in.

makes us stronger.

NnaeshukThu 14-Jul-11 06:01 AM
141 posts
#659, "RE: Thanks to Nreykre!"
In response to Reply #6

I don't mind this one bit, but in the end, it's not my call to give it an official thumbsup or thumbsdown. I'll let you know after I get feedback from others.

Nae-nae

ORBMon 25-Jul-11 05:34 PM
993 posts
#661, "RE: Thanks to Nreykre!"
In response to Reply #7

Any updates?

makes us stronger.

Batman (inactive user)Sat 30-Jul-11 06:02 PM
Charter member
#663, "BUMPING THIS BECAUSE IT IS WORTHWHILE"
In response to Reply #9

I second this. I'll gladly pay for half (or full if nobody else is) for an icon on the primary Mudlisting site.

Otherwise if there is some advertising limit that needs to be met, let's get on it. Name a price that would need to be hit for X advertisements in Y methods for Z length of time - Even if it's not spectacular, it's SOMETHING.

I paid like sixty bucks for an image slot on a different forum a while back that linked here - It only got like fifteen hits, but I know I witnessed(And this is an underestimate, but likely more accurate) about four noobs on the newbie chat recently afterwards.

Anyway, primary concern is that I would be totally up for paying for some advertisements if someone would give me(And Orb, since he's interested) an idea of how much it would cost.

Thanks

GasparSat 30-Jul-11 07:52 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2007
367 posts
#664, "THIRDING THIS"
In response to Reply #10

yes, thirding!

I want to see the days of 70-90 people online again!

HomardThu 04-Aug-11 06:13 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#667, "Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..."
In response to Reply #10

and no one is interested?

I say let the playboy billionaire help us get back to the days of a thousand players online at once.

Seriously, though. Why hasn't anyone official responded to this?

NreykreThu 04-Aug-11 08:10 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2011
90 posts
#668, "RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..."
In response to Reply #12

I don't think any of the Immortals are necessarily opposed to this in theory, it's just that there is a lot of maneuvering involved in making something like this happen even though it sounds simple.

To my knowledge, only one person (if not one, very few) deals with the TMS account. Ditto on the PayPal. Furthermore, the donations would need to be separated out from the PBF stuff and either used to buy the widget on TMS (do they take PayPal?) or an IMP would need to pay personally and be reimbursed. All of this requires an Immortal to spearhead, follow up on, make a graphic, and so on.

That might not sound so hard, but when people with busy lives already have plenty of obligations and responsibilities on CF, sometimes stuff like this never makes it to the top of the list.

Personally, I don't see much value in this, as I doubt having a 32x32 icon next to "The Carrion Fields" on the listing will drive more traffic or otherwise have much impact. It's possible that if the powers that be feel similar (I don't know if they do or not) they may not feel like going through the trouble of attaching their name to the task in the first place.

Batman (inactive user)Thu 04-Aug-11 08:21 PM
Charter member
#669, "I'll label the $60.00 as specific for advertisements."
In response to Reply #13

Nor am I holding CF liable to anything if the exact $60.00 isn't worked directly.

And I do think adding an icon, when people are looking through a list of MUDs, is pretty sexy - and though it may not pull 50 players in - If it pulls even ONE in for the 1 year the icon stays up, I'd view the payment as worthwhile.

We may disagree there, though, obviously. But my mindset is stuck around "Anything that isn't extraordinarily ridiculous to pull off" - And getting a free $60.00 to thumbnail an image to the advertising website isn't too terrible.

If I can just get the okay for "Yeah, if you toss us $60.00 we'll work on getting the icon up" - I'll do it. I don't even want immediate results if time IS required to do so.

How loudly must I scream "TAKE MY MONEY!"

AmberionFri 05-Aug-11 02:21 AM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
#671, "Add another 60$ from me to advertisment then."
In response to Reply #14

What's that? 180$ in total? Same disclaimer as Batman.

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

N b MFri 05-Aug-11 10:46 AM
Member since 29th Sep 2005
444 posts
#676, "Mark me down for $60 as well. nt"
In response to Reply #15

Yup.

ORBThu 29-Sep-11 11:37 AM
993 posts
#706, "RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..."
In response to Reply #13
Edited on Thu 29-Sep-11 12:35 PM

I honestly don't get you guys sometimes. Bringing more players in never makes of the top of the list? Players are willing to donate hundreds of dollars for something that, what might take an hour or three to do tops and Zhulg's response after a month is basically #### off I'm busy. An email to TMS hey how much and how do I pay what are the icon requirements, have people put Icon as the note in their PayPal, take the CF Icon which already exists and make it the size they need, and have the person who collects the PayPal money already pay for it. If Zhulgh is too busy then give authority to one of the other IMPS, does everything need to be so insanely micromanaged? Seriously let's not pretend it's some kind of massive ordeal. It seems like to me that since our past marketing attempts have obviously overall been a massive failure it might be worth it to try something new? And the argument that having an icon on TMS, an icon in CMUD/ZMUD or hell even getting our info right in CMUD/ZMUD won't bring in any new players is ####. I can tell you right now that I would click any of the ones with an icon way before one without if I was going to pick a random new mud to play. Hell even if I saw CF's desc in Zmud/Cmud list and picked it to have it be the wrong IP, I would just pick another in the list. Having 20 new types of ghoul is great but you would think having more than 15 players at what used to be peak hours would come first.

P.S. Don't mean to come off harsh, just completely mystified at this attitude.

makes us stronger.

HammerSongThu 29-Sep-11 12:37 PM
679 posts
#707, "RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..."
In response to Reply #26

I'm going to disagree with you here (and here's why).

- Our last two Marketing events have not been a failure. Why would you make such a statement? Our goals have been to retain players and to gradually attract players. We have a social media presence (which Nnaeshuk devotes a tremendous amount of his time towards maintaining), revamped our website (thanks to Nrekyre and other contributors), pushed an imm-funded racial art project (thanks to a very talented Mike Dubisch)...and here's another one - MAINTAIN THE MUD.

- Many of the Imps and Immortals alike have significant family and professional responsibilities outside of this MUD. Taking on side projects is not a priority in our lives. Projects like this include research, gathering money, creating icons, coordinating information and ultimately follow up through completion. It doesn't take 2-3 hours because if it did, someone with more initiative would have done it by now.

- All of the above efforts have been initiated by passionate players. Some don't require Imm approval. If you want to advertise our mud, do it. Don't expect other people to hand hold you.

We appreciate a players willingness to donate. We don't mandate it. If you feel so strongly about something, make it happen. Don't wait (or criticize) someone else for not making it happen.

HammerSongThu 29-Sep-11 12:39 PM
679 posts
#708, "RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..."
In response to Reply #27

..and to note, I like you Orb, so I'm saying this in the kindest possible way

ORBThu 29-Sep-11 05:03 PM
993 posts
#709, "RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..."
In response to Reply #27

Sorry I was over exaggerating when I said a complete failure, it's not at all. Zhulg's tone in his response just rubbed me the wrong way especially after not giving us any official response for months and numbers lately have me worried. You guys have put in a lot of effort in and I didn't mean to belittle that at all, my apologizes.
I understand this is a hobby for you guys and you are all busy. I guess we just disagree where the most bang for the buck would be found. The twitter stuff is awesome and if I was on facebook I'm sure I would check that out more too. I see how that stuff keeps players and you guys have done agreat job with it. It just seems like a group of us players all agree that things that draw us to a mud and would draw other new people is looking like a top of the line mud on things like the mud connector, or having the right address in Zmud/Cmud or even better having our icon defaulted in Zmud/Cmud. I would be more then happy to do these things if I could, I just didn't think I would be able to. If you think I can though I'll contact Cmud/Zmud and The Mud Connector and see what I can do. At the very least maybe I can get the right address for the mud out there. I'll have my art department look at the logo, and submit it to you guys for final approval once I find out the required measurements and all that. Who is the best person to send my findings to, you directly?

makes us stronger.

HammerSongThu 29-Sep-11 07:18 PM
679 posts
#710, "RE: Bruce Wayne is willing to fund this himself..."
In response to Reply #29
Edited on Thu 29-Sep-11 07:20 PM

Send the information to me. I just got done smashing out 6 Cisco exams in 2 months. My ridiculous evenings of study time now need to go towards my family and my text gaming hobby. I'll be happy to review any of your efforts and champion this cause.

I'll see what I can do about setting up an online account for the donations with blessings from the Imps.

Thanks for retracting your statements and for prompting this discussion again. I know it can be frustrating but I also know that some of the things that have been done to date have taken quite a bit of time. We *all* contribute to this game in some manner. This community has the potential to grow leaps and bounds in more ways than one.

NnaeshukFri 30-Sep-11 05:34 AM
141 posts
#711, "Ugg, I should have responded to this a long time ago..."
In response to Reply #29

Sorry for just now responding. I read this a long time ago and have been tracking it and have been doing things on my end to make certain things happen, but never posted. My bad. Seriously, I'm sorry.

As for the wrong address on CMUD/ZMUD, I've contacted them. They pull their listings from The MUD Connector, so they are the people to contact about the wrong address. I've registered with them, I've sent (a crapton of) emails, I've posted to their forms, but I've gotten zero response. If you feel you can get them to update our address, I would love for you to try, but I've gotten nothing from them. It took me over a month of badgering to even get a response from the folks at CMUD/ZMUD.

Just figured I'd update. Again, I'm really sorry I didn't post something earlier, but this is something I've been working on (via email) for a long time now.

demos (Anonymous)Fri 05-Aug-11 10:44 AM
Charter member
#675, "I'm in for $60, Canadian though, so I'll take more cred..."
In response to Reply #10

nt

Attachment #1, ( file)

LhydiaFri 05-Aug-11 03:38 PM
2377 posts
#677, "Dude that wouldn't even get 1 pbf. n/t"
In response to Reply #16

gr

N b MThu 14-Jul-11 06:07 PM
Member since 29th Sep 2005
444 posts
#660, "RE: Thanks to Nreykre!"
In response to Reply #6

I second this idea.. if the thumbs up was given and we make a play for the bid I will kick in a decent bit as well....

Perhaps you guys could throw out a poll on gameplay to get an estimate on the numbers and then decide?

First impressions like seeing the CF icon as one of the first selectable would absolutely have to make a noticble impact on numbers. (And 12 months is long enough to get quite a few people hooked I bet!)

Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #650 Previous topic | Next topic