Subject: "Our target audience and how to reach them." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #154
Show all folders

jasminThu 15-Nov-07 01:43 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
237 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#154, "Our target audience and how to reach them."

I think we need to compile a list of players/imms that are willing to actively work on marketing CF in their area. Next, we do a list of those people's states/countries that they live in. This will determine our coverage concerning actual footwork marketing. At this point we create flyers that say the most in the least amount of reading. I think the old flyers are cool looking, but are VERY vague. We do the flyers in a bulletpoint style, include the web addie, and a cool picture (yes covers do actually sell books some times). Make the flyer downloadable/printable, and each person will be responsible for their printing costs, which should be negligible. From there I think our main targets should be the following: college bulletin boards, college rpg/video game clubs, college newspapers, internet cafes/internet game lans, comic book shops, and any kind of place that is D&D friendly. This will really nail our target market, and spread the cost and workload. I will be the first one to volunteer to help cover Iowa, and I know a buddy of mine would be willing to help.

Let's quit bickering back forth and comparing e-peens, and do something about it.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Our target audience and how to reach them., Tahren, 19-Nov-07 10:32 AM, #5
Reply RE: Our target audience and how to reach them., Tahren, 19-Nov-07 12:15 PM, #6
Reply There's some info on our marketing page that might prov..., Sebeok, 16-Nov-07 11:35 AM, #4
Reply Good idea: A suggestion, Elerosse, 16-Nov-07 11:24 AM, #3
Reply This is a good post., Lyristeon, 15-Nov-07 02:09 PM, #2
Reply Great!, Daevryn, 15-Nov-07 02:05 PM, #1

TahrenMon 19-Nov-07 10:32 AM
Member since 25th Oct 2003
70 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#251, "RE: Our target audience and how to reach them."
In response to Reply #0

I wonder if it's possible or desirable to create a trifold pamphlet to distribute at comic book / gaming stores. I'm trying to think of a way to appeal to the hobbyists who read and/or write fantasy and sci-fi. So on the front of the pamphlet, you'd have the logo, "by what name" message, and the website - like a standard flyer. Take one, open the pamphlet, and you find one of the short stories from the website intro page. Or a log snippet, showing room desc and first strike? Something like:

-605/796hp 359/462ma 428/726mv 20710tnl-

>west

A Muddy Intersection
A small mud statue of something stands in the center of this intersection.
It seems nothing but mud exists here. The floor and walls are completely
bare with not plants or lifeform of any sort. There is a strange gold
shimmer coming from the northern room. To the south is just more mud.

(Exits: north east south)
A pale male storm giant stands guard here.
Cabdru is here.

>knife cabdru

You drive your dagger into Cabdru's side!
Your knifing MANGLES Cabdru!
Cabdru yells 'Help! Lyristeon knifed me!'
Cabdru has some small but disgusting cuts.

Double bonus if you have a short story on the left, and a related or corresponding log snippet on the right. For instance, Nep's "A Cold Night In Azuremain", which ends at a decision point, could be coupled with a log like the one above - where the decision has been made, and an action taken.

If you don't play the game, anything more than one round of combat won't make sense. But, if I'm familiar with Zork-style adventure games, and D&D style RPG accounting, then I'll recognize a room description with items and exits, followed by an input command, and some tangible reaction based on that command (i.e., first round of combat). Maybe I can throw something together later as an example.

TahrenMon 19-Nov-07 12:15 PM
Member since 25th Oct 2003
70 posts
#252, "RE: Our target audience and how to reach them."
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Mon 19-Nov-07 12:15 PM

This is sort of what I was talking about. Bifold pamphlet. Logo, art, webpage on front. Bulletized game features on back. Open the pamphlet for a short story on the left, and related log snippet on the right. Have 4 or 6 versions of the pamphlet (front/back stay the same, inside changes with new stories/logs)

I'm sure that someone more artistic than I, or with better editting skills, could come up with something more professional looking or eyecatching...

Edit: attachment is a zipped MS Word Document.

Attachment #1, (zip file)

SebeokFri 16-Nov-07 11:35 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
940 posts
#222, "There's some info on our marketing page that might prov..."
In response to Reply #0

It's reachable via the "about us" link on the left. http://www.carrionfields.com/Marketing.html

ElerosseFri 16-Nov-07 11:24 AM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
#221, "Good idea: A suggestion"
In response to Reply #0

If it was possible to post a downloadable link to any flyers/ad materials created that would help a lot. I am eager to help and can cover printing costs for any flyers I put up but am limited in my ability to create something worth looking at.

I live in Minneapolis and could hit up the local universities.

LyristeonThu 15-Nov-07 02:09 PM
Member since 02nd Jan 2004
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#157, "This is a good post."
In response to Reply #0

This is exactly what I wanted to see from someone who wants to volunteer.

DaevrynThu 15-Nov-07 02:05 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#156, "Great!"
In response to Reply #0

I have no talent for flyer-creation graphically, but I'd like to toss this thought out:

It might make sense to tailor the fliers somewhat based on where you're planning to post them or what kind of people you're hoping to see them.

For example, if you're going after a D&D crowd, maybe let's talk about why CF is better/different than D&D. (I could also argue that D&D is better/different than CF; both are going to have their strengths and it's our job to highlight some of ours.) If you're going after (possibly poor) college students, maybe it makes sense to mention that CF is completely free and all you need to play is any computer with an internet connection, etc.

Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #154 Previous topic | Next topic