Subject: "Quick question on rules" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #712
Show all folders

JoeCloudThu 14-Apr-05 03:58 PM
Member since 14th Nov 2004
36 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#712, "Quick question on rules"

Is it against the rules to drop link / quit out when in an area that says, "You don't feel safe enough to quit here," assuming that it's not being done to avoid consequences or escape PK, etc.?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ValguarneraThu 14-Apr-05 04:22 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#714, "Not really."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 14-Apr-05 04:23 PM

We understand that sometimes, people just have to leave(*). It's only a rules issue if you're noticed doing it while being chased by a PC or NPC, etc.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes link drops look like silence on your end to the game. (This is a largely unavoidable problem that plagues even many big-budget commercial multiplayer games.) Your character will stand around and remain connected and unprotected until you void out after several minutes of inactivity. This can be unfortunate if a PC or NPC attacks you in this state(**).

So while we recommend using 'quit' to leave the game in those situations, we won't take action if you just drop link. However, if you log on at your pit with no gear the next time, that's a punch you'll just have to roll with.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

(*): If you are level 1-9, or a ghost, you can use the 'recall' command to get back to your hometown's temple, where you can quit normally. This will only take a second longer than dropping link, and is worth doing.

(**): People complain about PCs doing this often, but keep in mind that your opponent may well have no idea that you are link dead. If they're furiously stuffing in commands to lag you, your inaction might look like success on their part.

JoeCloudThu 14-Apr-05 05:40 PM
Member since 14th Nov 2004
36 posts
#715, "RE: Not really."
In response to Reply #1

Thanks for the quick response! I asked because often I *do* have to go rather quickly, and can't take the 5-8 minutes to get back to civilization. After skimming HELP RULES I just wanted to make sure I wasn't inadvertently cheating. As for the possibility of being PK'ed while linkdead... I'm willing to take that chance.

BajulaFri 15-Apr-05 08:42 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
929 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#717, "RE: Not really."
In response to Reply #1

(**): People complain about PCs doing this often, but keep in mind that your opponent may well have no idea that you are link dead. If they're furiously stuffing in commands to lag you, your inaction might look like success on their part.

I've done that a few times, once even another who saw the fight thought I had just lagged the guy bad. when he wimpy fled, it looked like a flee, and I finished him off.

On the other side of it, I can't count the number of times I've logged back in naked at the pit. If for whatever reason you have to drop link, when you log back in and you aren't dead, just do a little jig, cheer for being lucky and move along.

When I 'complain' about it because I lagged out the connection.
It usually is from being bothered by not even seeing the fight.
Being permalagged is better than not knowing what is going on.
Like driving in heavy traffic and a truck is headed right for you, you try to swerve and the wheel won't run, and then before it hits, you go blind... that sick feeling of waiting.. you already know...
but you recconect anyway. and sure enough the truck plastered you
all over the road.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #712 Previous topic | Next topic