Subject: "Roleplaying a Shy Character" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #630
Show all folders

SilverduskFri 04-Mar-05 06:53 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2005
3 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#630, "Roleplaying a Shy Character"
Edited on Fri 04-Mar-05 06:54 PM

Hi! I'm new here so feel free to completely disregard anything I say.

Would it be possible to roleplay a shy character on the particular MUD? I've done this with other MUDs and have gotten one or more of the following reactions:

-Someone sees my shy character and offers to take her "under their wing" As she grew out of her shyness, people on the MUD started saying IC "I remember what a shy lass she was back then. Now look at her!" Obviously, this is the best of the reactions.

-People ignore my character. Pure and simple.

-People assume I'm doing some other kind of roleplay.

-People label my character as stuck-up, a snob. (Especially when I am playing an elf. Te-hee-hee!)

-When people send me tells, I reply to them "I walk alone." Then they start to bug me about it and won't leave me alone.

Etc....

I know this is probably an idiotic question, but what the hey.

(And if it is possible, can anyone offer me suggestions about what specific race/class combination I can use this roleplay in?)

Silverdusk

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is dignity in pain, nobility in suffering, but failure is a salted wound, that burns and burns again!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

nepentheTue 08-Mar-05 02:24 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#634, "RE: Roleplaying a Shy Character"
In response to Reply #0

Obviously, I'm coming into this discussion a few days late.

The first question I'd ask is... where are you trying to go with this RP? Is this simply a kind of character you like to play? If so, what about it more specifically appeals to you?

I agree with what's been said already: You can definitely do that here. The better idea we have of where you're trying to go, the better we can tell you how to get there.

AmarantheSat 05-Mar-05 12:40 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2003
536 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#633, "RE: Roleplaying a Shy Character"
In response to Reply #0

I think playing a shy character is a perfectly viable concept on CF.

Contrary to what you might think, to "walk alone" is not uncommon at all in CF. Many people who are involved in our automated quests choose to go solo for a while, as do characters who have concepts of being "honorable", and other loners, etc. It's not unheard of at all. In fact, I might even encourage it at the lower levels for a new player, as new players who blindly follow group leaders around never end up learning their way around the world. However, travelling alone after level 10 can get perilous in our hostile pk-environment, so keep that in mind as well.

If you do intend to spend time as a loner, I would highly also advise choosing a class that is very self-sufficient. I'd probably advise ranger above all else for a new player who is going a loner route... as not only can they hold their own in combat, but they have utility abilities that can help them fill their character's other needs (food, water, concealment, etc.) They do suffer a bit when not in the wilderness, however.

Regarding how characters will react, you could receive any or all of the reactions you describe in your post. We have a diverse playerbase and so you'll probably receive diverse reactions. As a general rule, I'd say more people will be willing to investigate your character's personality and motivations the higher level he or she is. (Although many are social/roleplaying-oriented enough to develop a curiousity at low levels, especially if you do an exceedingly good job of roleplaying your shy character using socials, emotes, etc.)

Good luck and have fun!

DurNominatorSat 05-Mar-05 03:55 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#632, "RE: Roleplaying a Shy Character"
In response to Reply #0

-When people send me tells, I reply to them "I walk alone." Then they start to bug me about it and won't leave me alone.

I can see this happening in CF, as the most effective ranking is done in the groups of three people. If they keep bugging you, it is probably because they need you and want thus want you to join them. Ranking is a good way for you to learn where you can rank your character at certain level and it is also a good way to make friends, as when you start a new character, he doesn't have friends yet.

RodriguezFri 04-Mar-05 11:09 PM
Member since 30th Jan 2005
367 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#631, "RE: Roleplaying a Shy Character"
In response to Reply #0

You definitely should give it a try!

As for the suggestions:

-Elf Healer (great to play and a good excuse to suck at pk

-Woodelf Ranger (If you want to put more emphasis on the "I walk _alone_" part)

-Felar Thief

-Fire AP (well not realy, but I would love to see a shy one... ^^)

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #630 Previous topic | Next topic