Subject: "Yep, Newbie Empowerment Question" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #601
Show all folders

AriaThu 17-Feb-05 10:49 PM
Member since 11th Feb 2005
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#601, "Yep, Newbie Empowerment Question"

Hi all,

I'm a new player to CF, though I'm very experienced with muds in general. I've created my first character to explore and familiarize myself with the lands and learn the mythos of the game and having a blast. I realize that empowerment classes are not recommended for new players, but I would like to plunge into the deep end with a healer role I've been fleshing out. However, as I was doing some research for the role, I realized the goddess that would best fit the character is no longer an immortal (Shazirah). My question is if it is possible to still roleplay a priestess of hers (Example: A priestess that still observes religious rites in her memory. A priestess that still believes that the essence of the goddess remains though scattered without a personified identity, etc.) and what is involved in getting empowered for a sphere that doesn't have a god. Obviously, if it is possible to pursue a role of this sort, I should know what happened to Shazirah in the context of Thera. I would inquire in game, but such an important event seems like it should be common knowledge to everyone in Thera especially one that seeks to be her priestess. Any input would be appreciated even if it's as simple as "try it and see" or "find out in game".

Thanks!

"And in much of your talking, thinking is half murdered. For thought is a bird of space, that in a cage of words may indeed unfold its wings but cannot fly."

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

LarcatFri 18-Feb-05 11:17 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#603, "Some advice on this...."
In response to Reply #0

About half the chars I play are empowered, and about half of those have been empowered by made up/generic forces or beings.

I think that, assuming you can rp well, and learn the easily accessable history of Thera quickly, that empowerment chars are perfect for beginners. You are much less gear/prep/whatever dependant than other chars. Especially a healer. So if you are an experienced enough rper to get empowered, and stay that way, a healer is probably the best possible first char possible.

If you have a fun role, and pray to something general or original, in my experience, empowerment is easier, and usually a more fun experience than getting empowered by a specific god (because usually when you pray to something non IMM, it fits more exactly with your role, and there for the empowerment session meshes more exactly with your char). However, there is one big drawback. You will never get a tattoo, unless some imm decides your char is so cool that they are going to code one up for you, and that would probably be on the level of getting a quest form or lich quest or something, so rather than having a specific immortal to have that priestly relationship with, you will have to generate your religious stuff personally, which I think is fun, but puts the entire onus on you.

All that being said, I would strongly, strongly, strongly suggest against praying to an imm who is dead or inactive. The imms have posted repeatedly that they do not want to touch each others followers like that, unless they have made specific arrangements.

Good luck.

"New payment options w/ Iron Realms"

LarcatFri 18-Feb-05 11:22 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#604, "One more thing..."
In response to Reply #2

Although Shazirah is gone, 99% of the roles that would follow Shazirah could probably be modified suitably to work under Innis or Eshval (depending on align, etc), both of whom are very cool imms, seem to enjoy interacting, and are around all the time.

"New payment options w/ Iron Realms"

AarnFri 18-Feb-05 09:14 AM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
#602, "RE: Yep, Newbie Empowerment Question"
In response to Reply #0

While you're certainly free to play an empowerment character under a sphere with no god (some even maintain that it's easier then normal empowerment), I think you're setting yourself up for a really hard path. If you were praying for something generic, or to some made-up diety, any immortal that was interested could come talk to you in one way or another. But if you're praying for Shazirah, you're likely going to be limiting yourself to an immortal that is moderately familiar with the workings of Shazirah's religion. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I wouldn't be able to help you with that very well.

Anyhow, it's certainly not impossible. Try it if you're set on it, but if there's some flexibility in the character you've developed, I would recomend either aiming for an existing god, or aiming for something generic and/or original. (Just make sure you explain it in your role)

Aarn

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #601 Previous topic | Next topic