Subject: "Connection problem" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #540
Show all folders

MeladoriMon 01-Nov-04 05:00 PM
Member since 30th Aug 2003
42 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#540, "Connection problem"

After moving to California, I decided to take up this game once again, I guess I enjoy it quite a bit. Anyway, after zmud wouldn't work on my computer, I tried gmud. Though it worked, I had this problem where my commands would stop going through after a few minutes of gameplay. I would see my spells, supplications, or anyone else speaking or acting in anyway, but I could no longer give my character commands of any kind or quit the mud. The game is running faster for me than it ever has before, but it keeps locking my commands after a while. I thought gmud was the problem, but found that telnet was doing the same. If anyone has had the same problem and knows how to solve it, or if anyone could help me translate my tracert to carrionfields.com I'd greatly appreciate it.

Some people wake up every day thinking the world is going to make sense. How fun would that be anyway?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Talking about connection, daeragn, 23-Dec-04 12:01 PM, #15
Reply ARG! Someone help please, Meladori, 21-Dec-04 09:46 PM, #14
Reply RE: Connection problem, JamesC, 09-Dec-04 10:55 AM, #12
Reply RE: Connection problem, Meladori, 17-Dec-04 11:14 PM, #13
Reply Okay, found something I hope, but still need advice, Meladori, 18-Nov-04 11:45 PM, #9
Reply RE: Okay, found something I hope, but still need advice, Scarabaeus, 19-Nov-04 08:21 AM, #10
     Reply Yeah, Meladori, 19-Nov-04 01:17 PM, #11
Reply sounds to me..., Odrirg, 15-Nov-04 05:21 PM, #3
Reply I don't really have sessions, the internet just kind of..., Meladori, 16-Nov-04 08:05 PM, #7
Reply RE: Connection problem, Scarabaeus, 15-Nov-04 03:46 PM, #2
Reply Not sure with mel but with me..., Bajula, 15-Nov-04 10:24 PM, #4
Reply I think that's the case, Meladori, 16-Nov-04 08:04 PM, #6
Reply RE: Connection problem, Amaranthe, 16-Nov-04 08:21 PM, #8
Reply I know I'm late here but is is still happening?, Bajula, 13-Nov-04 02:29 AM, #1
     Reply Ummmmm... a little lost in that post somewhere, Meladori, 16-Nov-04 08:06 PM, #5

daeragnThu 23-Dec-04 12:01 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2004
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#574, "Talking about connection"
In response to Reply #0

Same here. Can't play as often as I like. Some hours I just can't connect....SIGH

What happened to the MCCP thing that was mentioned a while ago here? Would that help solve/improve some of the connection problems that we face? What are the imms' thoughts on that?

MeladoriTue 21-Dec-04 09:46 PM
42 posts
#572, "ARG! Someone help please"
In response to Reply #0

This is incredibly frustrating. I think it is my internet provider,
Adelphia or something like that. If we do have the limited packet
thingie... whatever Odrirg said, is there anyway I could change it?
I miss playing for more than five minutes.

Some people wake up every day thinking the world is going to make sense. How fun would that be anyway?

JamesCThu 09-Dec-04 10:55 AM
Member since 28th Oct 2004
7 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#567, "RE: Connection problem"
In response to Reply #0

I think you have a spy/ad-ware problem if you are using windows, expecially windows XP without SP2. Try running 'ad-aware' and/or 'spybot search and destroy' to remove all of the spy and ad software. A friend of mine had the same problem with thier connection. And the cause of it was a malicious program running that hijacked their connection for a few mins while it up/downloaded whatever. This might not be your problem but it won't hurt to check.

MeladoriFri 17-Dec-04 11:14 PM
42 posts
#568, "RE: Connection problem"
In response to Reply #12

I think that helped a little, but I'm still getting booted, just seems like it takes a couple of minutes more for it to happen now. But it's better than nothing, thank you very much.

MeladoriThu 18-Nov-04 11:45 PM
42 posts
#556, "Okay, found something I hope, but still need advice"
In response to Reply #0

There's something running on this computer called "Internet Connection Firewall" and it says it limits or prevents access to this computer from the internet. Is that the culprit? Would it be safe to turn it off?

ScarabaeusFri 19-Nov-04 08:21 AM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
#557, "RE: Okay, found something I hope, but still need advice"
In response to Reply #9

If the problem you're having comes and goes, I wouldn't attribute that to the Firewall. You were able to connect and have commands go through for a while, correct?

MeladoriFri 19-Nov-04 01:17 PM
42 posts
#558, "Yeah"
In response to Reply #10

But it's strange and inconsistant now. Sometimes it lags really bad for me, and rushes a lot of text across my screen, other times I'll sit there for a long time and see spells and such wearing down, and more commonly now it just freezes until I'm disconnected. It's really making me mad, I've been away for a while and I want to play again. I frequently move between California and the Missouri, but this computer used to run way better, I'm not sure why I'm having these problems now.

OdrirgMon 15-Nov-04 05:21 PM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
#550, "sounds to me..."
In response to Reply #0

Like your internet provider might have some fairly draconian upload limits for your type of account.

You might not see this surfing the net, as you aren't sending much in the way of bytes OUT doing that.

but, mudding, you are constantly sending out bytes.

You might want to ask your IP if they have a dayly or session upload limit

MeladoriTue 16-Nov-04 08:05 PM
42 posts
#554, "I don't really have sessions, the internet just kind of..."
In response to Reply #3

Does that make a difference?

ScarabaeusMon 15-Nov-04 03:46 PM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
#549, "RE: Connection problem"
In response to Reply #0

Wait... so you can successfully log in, and then at some point your commands stop going through, but you continue to receive data from CF?

BajulaMon 15-Nov-04 10:24 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
929 posts
#551, "Not sure with mel but with me..."
In response to Reply #2

That happens sometimes, I'm waiting on a w to go through
on eastern see input of people passing and after a while
I move west. but just as often I type w and nothing for about
a minute if I'm pinging some site at the same time, it times out
a few times and then goes on.
If I'm not pinging or checking email over and over, then I'm just
left hanging.

MeladoriTue 16-Nov-04 08:04 PM
42 posts
#553, "I think that's the case"
In response to Reply #2

I was playing an invoker and at some point it would stop. I thought it was freezing on me, but then I noticed my spells were wearing off and I'd see people walking around or hear them yelling.

AmarantheTue 16-Nov-04 08:21 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2003
536 posts
#555, "RE: Connection problem"
In response to Reply #2

This exact scenario has actually happened to me. I can't explain it has happened, but it has - albeit not in a couple years now.

Fortunately all my experiences with this situation were short-lived, usually resolved by restarting my mud client, or in the worst cases, it would resolve itself in a couple hours. I can't offer any insight to anyone having a perpetual problem with this.

BajulaSat 13-Nov-04 02:29 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
929 posts
#548, "I know I'm late here but is is still happening?"
In response to Reply #0

I have the same problem, and while I have a vague idea
why, I can't really do anything about it.
Here is what I suggest
grab a traceroute prog if you don't already have one
with your os, run a trace to carrionfields.
I recently have piles of dead threads, and packets
just go off into cyber-space somewhere and poof.
The only way I pulled off a half-arsed solution
was to have a dos window open pinging another site
'near-by' I lose a chunck of speed off my lil 56k
connect, but when the pings (on another monitor so
I'm seeing them) go into the 1200+ or time out
I just wait a bit and the pings 'find' thier way
through it is usually 2,4, or 5 timeouts and then
it is going again for a while. I just figure someone
inbetween me and cf has some funky stuff in a name server
'course It might be my isp, need to trace a bunch of other
sites and see if I get the same garbage.
Been real busy at work, so by the time I poke in here
I just want to play instead of check other sites
I'll get around to it someday though.
Lemme know if your trace is clean or had odd stuff in it
so I won't start getting paranoid that it is all me and
me alone.

MeladoriTue 16-Nov-04 08:02 PM
42 posts
#552, "Ummmmm... a little lost in that post somewhere"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Tue 16-Nov-04 08:06 PM

I tried something called a tracert, or something similar sounding, to Carrionfields.com, but I have no idea what all the numbers it gave me meant at all.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #540 Previous topic | Next topic