Subject: "Clients and logging" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4662
Show all folders

dudemanFri 06-Jan-17 09:31 AM
Member since 27th Dec 2016
14 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4662, "Clients and logging"

Trying to figure out what client is easy to use. I've messed around with mudlet and mushclient, the the logging still eludes me. Any suggestions on a client that is easy to use ie triggers, aliases, and logging? Or what is the best client?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Now you didn't read two other replies, did you?, Kstatida, 08-Jan-17 06:35 PM, #7
Reply Wintin++ and zmud/cmud are probably the most popular. , KoeKhaos, 06-Jan-17 09:54 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Wintin++ and zmud/cmud are probably the most popula..., dudeman, 06-Jan-17 11:47 AM, #2
          Reply JMC is the most simple client out there NT, Kstatida, 06-Jan-17 01:07 PM, #3
          Reply JMC., Murphy, 06-Jan-17 01:10 PM, #4
          Reply Not sure what you read in my post, but here is some mor..., KoeKhaos, 06-Jan-17 02:15 PM, #5
               Reply RE: Not sure what you read in my post, but here is some..., dudeman, 08-Jan-17 10:32 AM, #6
                    Reply RE: Not sure what you read in my post, but here is some..., Mudlet (Anonymous), 12-Jan-17 06:09 PM, #8
                    Reply Logging has had nasty bugs in Mudlet for a long time it..., KoeKhaos, 13-Jan-17 11:57 AM, #9

KstatidaSun 08-Jan-17 06:35 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4677, "Now you didn't read two other replies, did you?"
In response to Reply #0

NT

KoeKhaosFri 06-Jan-17 09:54 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4664, "Wintin++ and zmud/cmud are probably the most popular. "
In response to Reply #0

Wintin++ on Windows or just tintin++ is free and pretty solid with a lot of tutorials and scripts out there. It's simple and easy. Zmud or the newer cmud are windows clients you pay for but have a lot of features and work well with graphical UI. I've used both as well as mudmaster and ended up just sticking with wintin++ because it's so easy but powerful.

dudemanFri 06-Jan-17 11:47 AM
14 posts
#4665, "RE: Wintin++ and zmud/cmud are probably the most popula..."
In response to Reply #1

I'm terrible at any kind of code. Was hoping for a something more simple, but thanks for the info.

KstatidaFri 06-Jan-17 01:07 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4666, "JMC is the most simple client out there NT"
In response to Reply #2

NT

MurphyFri 06-Jan-17 01:10 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4667, "JMC."
In response to Reply #2

nt

KoeKhaosFri 06-Jan-17 01:56 PM
400 posts
#4668, "Not sure what you read in my post, but here is some mor..."
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Fri 06-Jan-17 02:15 PM

Both clients are easy to install and use and require no coding. You will, however, always need to make use of the clients basic scripting to make use of it for anything other than pure telnet. All of them are extremely simple and not really comparable to coding in complexity. For example my most basic script I have for my first characters is at the bottom after links. I removed anything more advanced but it should show how simple it can be. Here are some links to popular Mud clients.

Zmud/CMud This is the most popular MUD client there is and possibly most feature full. It is not free though.
http://www.zuggsoft.com/index.php?p=cmud

wintin++/tintin++ Simple, free, powerful, cross-platform, purely text base so no GUI, but it's for playing a text game so I don't really need a GUI slowing it down. I currently use this.
http://tintin.sourceforge.net/index.php

I used to use this back in the day so I don't know how well it works anymore, but it's a graphical interface like Zmud/Cmud. If I recall, that actual scripting system is taken from tintin++.
http://mm2k6.sourceforge.net/mm2k6/

Other popular ones I don't know too much about.
MUSH Client
http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/mushclient.htm
JMUD
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jmud/
GGMUD
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ggmud/

My most basic scripts for wintin++ if you are interested. All of these can literally just be typed into wintin++ as you see them. You would just follow the steps below.

1. Copy each line below into wintin++ by right-clicking on the window and clicking paste.
2. Type #var character Dudeman or whatever your characters name is.
3. type #write CF when you are done to save it as CF.
4. Any time you open wintin++ you simply type #read CF and the type connect. That's it.

You can also set this to PLAIN instead of HTML if you want but if using plain I would suggest using notepad++ for reading, which also has a powerful search in files option for finding keywords in your docs. Just edit the directory for logging to wherever you want to log to, just note that each \ or . requires another \ in front of them as shown. E.g. #log append {C:\\CF\\Logs\\$character$date\.html}. More simply you could just do #log append $character and skip the date but you could end up with a maybe 50MB or larger single file as all of your logs would be in one file. The way I have it set is each day gets a new date on the end of the file name so one file per day. Everything below here can be copied and pasted into wintin++ in one go.

#CONFIG LOG HTML

#VARIABLE character Dudeman
#VARIABLE container knapsack
#VARIABLE date -2015-11-01
#VARIABLE food bread
#VARIABLE water canteen

#ALIAS water {get $water $container; drink $water; put $water $container}

#ALIAS fillw {get $water $container; fill $water;put $water $container}

#ALIAS food {get $food $container; eat $food}

#ALIAS connect {#session CF carrionfields.net 4449; #split; #format date -%Y-%M-%D; #log append {C:\\Users\\Admin\\Desktop\\Logs\\$character$date\.html}}

dudemanSun 08-Jan-17 10:32 AM
14 posts
#4676, "RE: Not sure what you read in my post, but here is some..."
In response to Reply #5

Thanks for all the help. I actually have logging working now in mudlet, but it does not log my input commands. Was hoping to have those as well for figuring out directions and such.

Mudlet (Anonymous)Thu 12-Jan-17 06:09 PM
Charter member
#4683, "RE: Not sure what you read in my post, but here is some..."
In response to Reply #6

Anyone have experience with mudlet? Seems like a great program, but I feel I'm in over my head with it. Advices much appreciated.

KoeKhaosFri 13-Jan-17 11:52 AM
400 posts
#4686, "Logging has had nasty bugs in Mudlet for a long time it..."
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Fri 13-Jan-17 11:57 AM

I see people complaining about it from 2009 and the response being that the next update, being 2.2 or later, would fix it. Mind that 2.1 is still the current version. There seems to be a 3.0.0 preview version that is available now though since November but it may be buggy and I haven't tried Mudlet at all so can't help much...

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4662 Previous topic | Next topic