Subject: "Maladiction Highlighting" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4581
Show all folders

DhoyshdeanFri 23-Sep-16 02:20 PM
Member since 17th Oct 2012
21 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4581, "Maladiction Highlighting"

So I'm getting into pk and something I'd like to reach out to the community for is maladiction messages (preferrably what the target sees), so I can makes some highlights and substitutes. Also I'd like to know what the less obvious ones do, e.g.:

Invisible force jerk your weapon blah blah (-moves -str disarm)

Not knowing these maladictions is quite a hindrance for a new player (couple weeks) in pk.

I killed a druid the other day and almost died bc he put my mv pts in the negative before I realized what was happening.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Maladiction Highlighting, incognito, 24-Sep-16 01:39 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Maladiction Highlighting, incognito, 24-Sep-16 01:41 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Maladiction Highlighting, Dhoyshdean, 25-Sep-16 12:59 AM, #3
               Reply RE: Maladiction Highlighting, incognito, 25-Sep-16 02:26 AM, #4
                    Reply Just play the game and highlight when you encounter the..., Kstatida, 25-Sep-16 04:59 AM, #5
                         Reply RE: Just play the game and highlight when you encounter..., Dhoyshdean, 25-Sep-16 02:19 PM, #6
                              Reply Yup these are typical, Kstatida, 25-Sep-16 03:19 PM, #7
                                   Reply RE: Yup these are typical, Dhoyshdean, 25-Sep-16 08:06 PM, #8
                                        Reply I think there is a slight disconnect between you two, Destuvius, 25-Sep-16 08:15 PM, #9
                                             Reply RE: I think there is a slight disconnect between you tw..., Dhoyshdean, 25-Sep-16 09:19 PM, #10
                                             Reply I think there are a few misconceptions there, Sertius, 25-Sep-16 10:20 PM, #11
                                             Reply RE: I think there is a slight disconnect between you tw..., incognito, 26-Sep-16 12:47 AM, #12
                                             Reply RE: I think there is a slight disconnect between you tw..., Dhoyshdean, 26-Sep-16 01:44 AM, #13
                                                  Reply RE: I think there is a slight disconnect between you tw..., Kstatida, 26-Sep-16 05:21 AM, #16
                                                  Reply Fwiw, incognito, 26-Sep-16 10:43 AM, #17
                                             Reply Check out official Item Search, Kstatida, 26-Sep-16 05:13 AM, #15
                                             Reply Exactly this NT, Kstatida, 26-Sep-16 05:12 AM, #14

incognitoSat 24-Sep-16 01:39 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4587, "RE: Maladiction Highlighting"
In response to Reply #0

So that's telluric surge he is using.

If you are using metal weapons it can make you miss some attacks or pull the weapon from your hand altogether. Generally, use non metal weapons vs Druids because they also get protection from metals as a prayer.

If you are using metal armor it can lag you, and drain moves. I would seriously consider removing metal armor for lowbie Druids.

Druids are a terror at all levels though.

incognitoSat 24-Sep-16 01:41 AM
4495 posts
#4588, "RE: Maladiction Highlighting"
In response to Reply #1

Also, there are some clients and scripts that do what you are asking. Best to ask on the unofficial forums qhcf. Script board or main board.

DhoyshdeanSun 25-Sep-16 12:59 AM
21 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4590, "RE: Maladiction Highlighting"
In response to Reply #2

I'm aware there are clients that do this, and this is the purpose of my message.

To hopefully get a compilation of messages received from target for maladictions landing. I assumed others had these highlighted or substituted.

incognitoSun 25-Sep-16 02:26 AM
4495 posts
#4591, "RE: Maladiction Highlighting"
In response to Reply #3

Yes and no.

I don't think they tend to go as far as capturing the effects of telluric surge, for example. You just get to know those.

They do, if I recall correctly, capture things like kotegaeshi breaking your wrist. Pretty sure they are somewhere on the script board of qhcf. A guy called dwoggurd provided one that seemed popular iirc.

Personally I don't use them as I prefer to deal with less text and just learn them. Even some vets fall for the telluric surge movement drain sometimes, by the way. But if you aren't wearing metal armor it won't lag or drain your moves. If you aren't using metal weapons it won't disarm or feint your attacks. If a Druid is what you are fighting it is worth trying to switch to a non metal set. Just watch out for when he gets entangle, which halves moves each time it is used on you. And also pay attention to the weather in case they kill you from a distance with lightning after you flee.

KstatidaSun 25-Sep-16 04:59 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4592, "Just play the game and highlight when you encounter the..."
In response to Reply #4

You don't really need the comprehensive list of maladicts, and nobody ever bothered to gather it.

There aren't many anyway worth immediate reaction, so you'll most likely encounter them all through the course of 2-3 characters.

DhoyshdeanSun 25-Sep-16 02:16 PM
21 posts
#4593, "RE: Just play the game and highlight when you encounter..."
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Sun 25-Sep-16 02:19 PM

I'm sure there aren't many that require IMMEDIATE reaction, but without the knowledge of these things you won't even know what's happening.

Learning these in character will probably widely include dying to them and then scrolling up to figure out what happened.

I use things like this to pick up on these maladictions.

#high {%1 sags with exhaustion a moment, but quickly regains {its|her|his} vigor.$} {<faa>}

Or you could:

#sub {%1 sags with exhaustion a moment, but quickly regains {its|her|his} vigor.$} {%1 sags with exhaustion a moment, but quickly regains {its|her|his} vigor. < muscular lethargy >}

I'll check the script board.

KstatidaSun 25-Sep-16 03:19 PM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4594, "Yup these are typical"
In response to Reply #6

Well until you die to them, you won't grasp which of them are dire and which are not even if you've highlighted them beforehand

DhoyshdeanSun 25-Sep-16 08:06 PM
21 posts
#4595, "RE: Yup these are typical"
In response to Reply #7

That's some pretty flawed rhetoric.

Just an easy example.

You feel uncomfortable.

By knowing these maladiction messages and results would keep you from dying a lot of ignorant deaths. But I see where this is going... Mudders are a dying bread...

DestuviusSun 25-Sep-16 08:15 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#4596, "I think there is a slight disconnect between you two"
In response to Reply #8

It seems like you are saying knowing that "You feel uncomfortable = curse" will mean you are better prepared for it. I think that he is saying is that knowing that is curse doesn't really matter if you don't know what curse does.

Also, knowledge of what an affect does to you does not generally prepare you for how to survive it. You either have the necessary tools in place before the affect hits you or you do not.

As with most things, you will probably be better suited to learn these things through your own tests and trials. You may find certain affects to be a bigger concern than other players do, so they may not even highlight or echo or whatever them where you feel its necessary.

Even with all the highlights of affects, the dings that go off for being bashed or whatever it is that you have built in, you are still probably going to die a lot on CF. That's part of the fun.

DhoyshdeanSun 25-Sep-16 09:19 PM
21 posts
#4597, "RE: I think there is a slight disconnect between you tw..."
In response to Reply #9

Know that it does for the things I'm not super familiar with do help.

E.g. You feel uncomfortable. (Don't waste your return potion and eat the lag for nothing)

Of course I need to know what they do or a highlight does diddly squat. That's why my original post asked for the message and what it does.

Dying isn't the issue. Dying due to igo rance is. The whole "die and learn" isn't really appealing on a MUD where if you die 3 times between level 10 and 13 your character gets crippled a bit due to hp loss. Throughout the entirety of leveling to hero (what 20ish hours?) You are SEVERELY crippled. Just saying.

SertiusSun 25-Sep-16 10:20 PM
Member since 17th Nov 2008
360 posts
#4598, "I think there are a few misconceptions there"
In response to Reply #10

Hey, don't take this the wrong way please, trying to help.

1) Con loss is not nothing, but it's nothing major either. The level gains take into account your current, adjusted con. Thus, if you have a max of 20 con and your current con is 18, wear an item or two for +2 con (very easy to find, also known as anti-rot/malice set to pretty much anybody) for when you're about to level and you're set with max hp gains. (Same goes for other stats BTW).

2) There are trains you get every 5 levels plus 10 pracs can become a train. Some use it to train hp, some save them for con loss recovery, it's a personal preference.

3) Leveling to hero CAN be done in 20sh hours, but that would involve some fairly special circumstances and being lucky with the groupmates. My chars (and am a vet of 20sh years) usually take at least 50 hours to level to 51, but more common (for me) is 100sh. Granted, some of it is the desire to get adjusted to the build, sit at the lower ranks or sweet spots at least for a little while, practice key skills, etc, but it would be rather challenging for me to get to hero in 20 hours with the majority of the builds. And even then, it's probably not a good idea as I'd have 77% in most skills/spells, which gets you killed at hero rather easily.

incognitoMon 26-Sep-16 12:47 AM
4495 posts
#4599, "RE: I think there is a slight disconnect between you tw..."
In response to Reply #10

You need to get on qhcf and read lots of logs.

You'll see what things do (or you can then ask) and you'll also get a feel for which things are swinging a fight fast, and why. Often it'll be the combination of things. Eg you can handle a little stat loss but not a second stat loss on top of the first.

DhoyshdeanMon 26-Sep-16 01:44 AM
21 posts
#4600, "RE: I think there is a slight disconnect between you tw..."
In response to Reply #12

Yeah I need to read some logs probably. And yeah, I noticed this about the EQ. This mud has a rather large learning curve as far as EQ goes. The Item Search is a HUGE help though, but this MUD has TONS of equipment (which is pretty cool).

I didn't mean to come off as defensive. I just come from a very elite pking MUD and can be very competitive as far as PK goes. It's very aggravating to die to something you didn't know existed, and you feel pretty silly. Like I said, if it was just death and lose some gold, I wouldn't be too worried about it, but almost dying to that druid the other day and ending up 3 rooms from a healer with -27 mvs while waiting for him to heal up and return for another piece... that pretty much caused me to start this thread. Ignorance isn't always bliss =).

I'll go look at the logs and see what I can see. I wasn't really looking for a "hand-out" per-se, just figured this was probably already in a lot of client scripts for visual aids.

P.S. I wasn't trying to advertise for my old MUD. It's dead.

KstatidaMon 26-Sep-16 05:21 AM
2214 posts
#4603, "RE: I think there is a slight disconnect between you tw..."
In response to Reply #13

>I didn't mean to come off as defensive. I just come from a
>very elite pking MUD and can be very competitive as far as PK
>goes.

Hey cool we need more of that.

On the other hand, you'll find things killing you that you didn't know existed after a few years as well. That's where elite vets go. You've mastered the basics and advanced tactics, and then boom you'll find a necromancer who went to duo dimension with an item you never knew existed. So you thought he quit, but there he is, sleeping your sorry bum when least expected. And that's lots of fun.

P.S. In my previous MUD, I was like one of the strongest PKers around, and boy I've had my ass handed to me so many times here.

incognitoMon 26-Sep-16 10:43 AM
4495 posts
#4604, "Fwiw"
In response to Reply #13

I also suck at gearing after death, unless I am playing paladin or conjurer. And I played for over a decade!

KstatidaMon 26-Sep-16 05:13 AM
2214 posts
#4602, "Check out official Item Search"
In response to Reply #10

You can rank just fine with all the free +con items that you can find through it.

I was getting +15 con for ranks, no troubles.

KstatidaMon 26-Sep-16 05:12 AM
2214 posts
#4601, "Exactly this NT"
In response to Reply #9

NT

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4581 Previous topic | Next topic