Subject: "Outlander Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3492
Show all folders

Newlander (Anonymous)Tue 04-Oct-11 07:07 AM
Charter member
#3492, "Outlander Questions"

I'm fairly new to cabals and thinking of trying Outlander, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Are Outlanders not able to carry coins or just not supposed to use/spend them in cities? It seems nearly impossible for me not to acquire coins accidentally (at level one I found myself with 155 copper... not sure if it's part of outfit or what). I drop them when I remember. Can coins be used in "wilderness" areas (Grove, etc)?

2) Are Outlanders okay with ranking on animals? Does align matter here (good vs. evil etc)?

3) Are there places in game I can go to find more information on the cabal and its history? Some library, maybe?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Some more tips and opinions, BaronMySoul (Anonymous), 04-Nov-11 08:38 AM, #24
Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Elerosse, 04-Oct-11 09:04 PM, #12
Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Isildur, 04-Oct-11 12:59 PM, #2
Reply These aren't secret? I know the third, Tsunami, 04-Oct-11 02:57 PM, #6
     Reply RE: These aren't secret? I know the third, Isildur, 04-Oct-11 09:41 PM, #13
Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Twist, 04-Oct-11 09:43 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Newlander (Anonymous), 04-Oct-11 01:36 PM, #3
     Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Nreykre, 04-Oct-11 01:51 PM, #4
     Reply OK to barter with healer by Eternal Star? n/t, Newlander (Anonymous), 04-Oct-11 02:33 PM, #5
     Reply Yes., Elerosse, 04-Oct-11 08:59 PM, #9
     Reply On that note.., Tsunami, 04-Oct-11 02:59 PM, #7
     Reply Good question. Answer within., Nreykre, 04-Oct-11 03:57 PM, #8
     Reply What about role-related coin use?, Someone that planned on using them (Anonymous), 05-Oct-11 02:55 PM, #15
          Reply It's easy as Battle quaffing potions., DurNominator, 05-Oct-11 11:17 PM, #16
               Reply That's not the point, that someone (Anonymous), 06-Oct-11 01:18 PM, #18
                    Reply I think you're misunderstanding:, Daevryn, 06-Oct-11 01:24 PM, #19
                         Reply I considered that, someone again (Anonymous), 06-Oct-11 03:41 PM, #20
                              Reply RE: I considered that, Daevryn, 06-Oct-11 04:07 PM, #21
                              Reply Just barter for your booze., DurNominator, 06-Oct-11 11:36 PM, #23
     Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Elerosse, 04-Oct-11 09:01 PM, #10
     Reply This., Twist, 04-Oct-11 10:34 PM, #14
     Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Elerosse, 04-Oct-11 09:03 PM, #11
          Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Asthiss, 06-Oct-11 03:19 AM, #17
               Reply RE: Outlander Questions, Elerosse, 06-Oct-11 08:09 PM, #22
     Reply If...., Stupid Outtie (Anonymous), 22-Nov-11 08:02 AM, #25
          Reply Role command/note, Tsunami, 22-Nov-11 11:38 AM, #26
          Reply I'd say that's up to the mortal leaders..., Twist, 22-Nov-11 11:40 AM, #27

BaronMySoul (inactive user)Fri 04-Nov-11 08:38 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #0

1) I basically consider anything done pre-level-5 to not count towards the character's ideology. That said, I usually keep coins long enough to go through the Newbie Academy (buy enough food to get me by until I can trade for some, water, and a sack). Reasoning for this is that Daevryn has said on numerous occasions that Academy time doesn't count towards the civilized/wilderness time, which means (for me) that it's outside of the realm of 100% roleplay.

"Drop coins" is a valid command, btw, to dump all the coins you're carrying (if you didn't know). I really wish there were a "nogive coins" command where I could accept other items, just not coins.

2) I've ranked on wild animals as several Outlanders and have always found a good reason why. However, I believe that I've either heard firsthand or seen it mentioned in a thread by an imm that there's a penalty for killing too many wild creatures.

3) Once you're in the Outlander cabal, look around the Tree. There's some info there. Outside of the cabal, people have already mentioned several locations.

- As Chaisse, I used to "steal wine" from a fountain that had it. This was an effective, cheap source of booze when I filled a big container with it.

- After you get inducted into the cabal and you've ranked up a bit, take advantage of your windwalk ability and explore every nook and cranny you can find. There are secret Outlander things that no one can tell you about and no one can discuss.

- Take notes about what you find with every character you play. You may find a useless item, but may be light, easy to obtain, and valuable. These are good items to know about since you can use them to barter with as an Outlander.

ElerosseTue 04-Oct-11 09:04 PM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3504, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #0

>3) Are there places in game I can go to find more information
>on the cabal and its history? Some library, maybe?
>

You may know this but there are rooms in the academy that have some basic information about each cabal.

IsildurTue 04-Oct-11 12:59 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3494, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #0

There are three special rooms with items in them that give Outlander background. A mortal Outlander leader pushed to have these installed.

One's due west in the Ashes of Nowhere. One's due north in the Prosimy Forest. Sadly I can't remember where the other one is right now, but I'm guessing some outlander probably knows.

TsunamiTue 04-Oct-11 02:57 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#3498, "These aren't secret? I know the third"
In response to Reply #2

I thought they had something to do with the "secret." However, since I haven't played Outlander I've no clue and I'm sure you know all about it. In which case I'll assume it is safe info:

The third is in that mazey forest east of the Manor and south from the eastern crossroads. It's hidden closer to the western entrance than the northeastern one.

IsildurTue 04-Oct-11 09:41 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#3505, "RE: These aren't secret? I know the third"
In response to Reply #6

So far as I know they're just there for historical purposes. Yhorian's druid spearheaded the effort to get them put in.

TwistTue 04-Oct-11 09:43 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#3493, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #0

>I'm fairly new to cabals and thinking of trying Outlander,
>but I have a couple of questions:
>
>1) Are Outlanders not able to carry coins or just not supposed
>to use/spend them in cities? It seems nearly impossible for me
>not to acquire coins accidentally (at level one I found myself
>with 155 copper... not sure if it's part of outfit or what). I
>drop them when I remember. Can coins be used in "wilderness"
>areas (Grove, etc)?

Coins are bad. You have a few options via the autoloot/autogold/nogive toggles but yeah sometimes even Outlanders end up with coins in their inventory. As long as you drop them when you notice you should be good. Never OK to buy things with coins.

>2) Are Outlanders okay with ranking on animals? Does align
>matter here (good vs. evil etc)?
Depends on the animal. I could definitely see evil Outlander app leveling on non-wilderness animals (like domesticated type ones), or killing a wild animal for food and stuff, but in general it'd be better to go kill those dirty orcs or duergar or trolls or cityguards or dwarves or whatever.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the Oneheart encampment east of Udgaard has some good background info. Also, speak with those that you know are Outlanders in game and ask more about their ideology.

>Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Avoid adamantite items, mercs/pets of any kind, and spend as much time out of civilized areas as you are able. Good luck!

Newlander (Anonymous)Tue 04-Oct-11 01:36 PM
Charter member
#3495, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #1

Isildur: Thanks, I will look in those areas.

Twist: Very helpful as well. Mostly I'm irritated that I can't sac stuff (especially corpses) without a token coin. It's easier to loot and occasionally I use sac to destroy junk I don't want. I read somewhere about Outlanders sacrificing adamantite... doesn't that give coins as well?

I did speak with an Outlander and got a vague-ish response (made sense from a RP standpoint but didn't help me as a new player know where to look). I'll look east of Udgaard as well.

To anyone:

--Does Outlander make a distinction between nonsentient and sentient creatures then? If an evil outlander is willing to kill, say, elven children, what makes the foxes and wolves of Aldevari worse?

--"Never OK to buy things" means no pracs or trains with coins either?

NreykreTue 04-Oct-11 01:51 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2011
90 posts
#3496, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Tue 04-Oct-11 01:51 PM

>--"Never OK to buy things" means no pracs or trains with coins
>either?

(Edit: Obligatory.. "I'm not an Outlander, but...")

You should never use coins for any purpose. No buying stuff, using healers (for that reason and others), and no practicing/training with coins. If you ever notice yourself carrying coins, get rid of them.

With my last Outlander I used various lightweight gems and other small treasures (which I collected in a container) to practice with. You could probably get by just grabbing junky gear too, like the stuff on the ground in Arkham Crypts.

Newlander (Anonymous)Tue 04-Oct-11 02:33 PM
Charter member
#3497, "OK to barter with healer by Eternal Star? n/t"
In response to Reply #4

n/t

ElerosseTue 04-Oct-11 08:59 PM
423 posts
#3501, "Yes."
In response to Reply #5

General rule of thumb is too stick with merchants, healers, etc that are outside of major cities.

TsunamiTue 04-Oct-11 02:59 PM
1509 posts
#3499, "On that note.."
In response to Reply #4

What did Outlanders do before barter? Or did barter come first? I've played forever now, but my memory of events is always muddled up.

NreykreTue 04-Oct-11 03:57 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2011
90 posts
#3500, "Good question. Answer within."
In response to Reply #7

2001/05/08 The BARTER command has been added. See the HELP.

2004/02/15 The Ancients have empowered the Outlanders of Thar-Eris to
fight the pox of civilization on Thera. See HELP OUTLANDER
for more details.

Someone that planned on using them (Anonymous)Wed 05-Oct-11 02:55 PM
Charter member
#3507, "What about role-related coin use?"
In response to Reply #4

I had planned on using coins to buy one specific thing, that gave me no game related advantage. In fact, it disadvantages me in 2 ways. One, using the thing I buy disadvantages me (and brings no advantages) and two, carrying coins, if I recall correctly, prevents me from benefitting from one of the outlander powers.

Specifically, I put something in my role about being an alcoholic, and needing to buy alcohol despite the fact that I hated everything I had to do in order to buy it. (Yeah, I know I can kill mobs for it, but that kind of defeats the rp angle.) Being drunk doesn't help me, and using the coins for that (and nothing else) doesn't help me.

In the end, I chucked this bit of my role because imms seemed to be giving me gentle hints that I didn't get what outlander was about. I figured if they didn't get it, even with the ability to read my role, then probably the players wouldn't get it either.

DurNominatorWed 05-Oct-11 11:17 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3508, "It's easy as Battle quaffing potions."
In response to Reply #15

Outlanders do not use coins in any situation. It is hard-coded that way. Find something to barter for your booze and try to find an outlander-friendly merchant to do that with.

that someone (Anonymous)Thu 06-Oct-11 01:18 PM
Charter member
#3510, "That's not the point"
In response to Reply #16

I could very easily do it in an outlander compatible way.

It's a bit like you telling me to rp a cop that obeys the law when my role is that I'm a celebrity obsessed cop who keeps looking up the police records of celebs when he's not allowed to.

Sure, my cop could get the information on the internet without breaking the rules, but that's not a particularly interesting character flaw, is it?

DaevrynThu 06-Oct-11 01:24 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#3511, "I think you're misunderstanding:"
In response to Reply #18

He's saying in both cases it's mostly hardcoded so you can't.

(Which I think is correct, but I'm not 100% on it)

someone again (Anonymous)Thu 06-Oct-11 03:41 PM
Charter member
#3512, "I considered that"
In response to Reply #19

But at this point, I'm not in the cabal, so the hard-coding doesn't factor into it yet, unless it prevents me from getting inducted.

I seem to remember from a previous outlander that having coins on me made me lose the benefits of unfettered spirit, and that using civilized stuff got me plagued, but I might be smoking purple crack. Again. Anyway, if it is just stuff like that I'd quite happily live with it.

DaevrynThu 06-Oct-11 04:07 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#3513, "RE: I considered that"
In response to Reply #20

I'm like 90% sure that once you're inducted you literally can't buy things with coins.

I may be wrong.

DurNominatorThu 06-Oct-11 11:36 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3517, "Just barter for your booze."
In response to Reply #20

Giving up coins is part of being an Outlander. Just get some valuable item and find wildernessy enough merchant you can barter your booze from. That would work role-wise well for a true Outlander that is a drunkard, not a ####ty on purpose Outlander who shouldn't get inducted.

And yes, I'm 100% sure that it's hard coded that you cannot buy stuff as Outlander. I have typed in the 'b'-command as Outlander (though not trying to actually buy anything). It gives you an echo that the thought of currency sickens you or something. Carrying coins makes you makes you lose unbound spirit and using items marked with gray taint flag plaques you and makes you lose cabal powers for a duration of time.

ElerosseTue 04-Oct-11 09:01 PM
423 posts
#3502, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #3

>--Does Outlander make a distinction between nonsentient and
>sentient creatures then? If an evil outlander is willing to
>kill, say, elven children, what makes the foxes and wolves of
>Aldevari worse?
>

This is more alignment & roleplay dependant. In general I would avoid ranking on & needlessly killing things like aldevari wolves.

TwistTue 04-Oct-11 10:34 PM
3431 posts
#3506, "This."
In response to Reply #10

Also, keep in mind what your reasons would be to kill those wolves - would it be to help "secure that area" for the people in the civilized keep? Or is it for the thrill of the hunt, the wind in your hair as you leap upon your prey - that prey that generally considers itself predator?

ElerosseTue 04-Oct-11 09:03 PM
423 posts
#3503, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #3

>Isildur: Thanks, I will look in those areas.
>
>Twist: Very helpful as well. Mostly I'm irritated that I can't
>sac stuff (especially corpses) without a token coin. It's
>easier to loot and occasionally I use sac to destroy junk I
>don't want. I read somewhere about Outlanders sacrificing
>adamantite... doesn't that give coins as well?
>

If you use the toggles Twist suggested and turn off autosac then you should only end up with coins when you use the sac command so it should be easy enough to drop the coins immediately after.

AsthissThu 06-Oct-11 03:19 AM
Member since 26th Oct 2004
191 posts
#3509, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #11

Doesn't nogive and nogold make it so that you do not get gold for sacrificing? So keep autosac but turn on nogive and nogold

ElerosseThu 06-Oct-11 08:09 PM
423 posts
#3514, "RE: Outlander Questions"
In response to Reply #17

>Doesn't nogive and nogold make it so that you do not get gold
>for sacrificing? So keep autosac but turn on nogive and
>nogold

IIRC nogold stops you from autolooting coins, nogive stops party members from sharing coins with you and any one else handing you coins. But, you still get coins from saccing. Been awhile but almost 100% certain that is how it works.

Stupid Outtie (Anonymous)Tue 22-Nov-11 08:02 AM
Charter member
#3641, "If...."
In response to Reply #1

I was unaware of the dwarf dislike thing as a low level and had grouped with a dwarf, is it all over or can I indicate in my role when the realisation of the path I wanted to take happened, post mistake?

Also if I was stupid, and I was, and I grouped with a Minotaur because I was half-asleep IRL and thought he was a fire giant, is it game over for me in getting inducted or do I just have to pleade ignorance and try and show my worth still?

TsunamiTue 22-Nov-11 11:38 AM
1509 posts
#3642, "Role command/note"
In response to Reply #25

I'd say put it in your role command to let immortals know you didn't know and/or note them. Players can't tell who you have grouped with and when you come back to destroy that dwarf/mino in the future, they will just have to deal with it.

Worst case scenario you don't get into Outlander and your roleplay it out another way. Let it affect your character as something like that would instead of abandoning it.

TwistTue 22-Nov-11 11:40 AM
3431 posts
#3643, "I'd say that's up to the mortal leaders..."
In response to Reply #25

...and imms watching to determine. For someone who looks like a total noob, they might be more lenient. But it's awful easy as Outlander app to go ahead and use coins, group with whoever is convenient, and then decide to apply and feign ignorance when really they are an experienced player who knew it'd be easier.

Kinda like when a neutral mortal of mine grouped many years ago with a Fort app and we killed arial guards because he had lightning weapons and could heal using their gear so we never had to stop - in my head I'm thinking "this guy's RP sucks, I hope he never gets into Fort" but my CHARACTER, being neutral, didn't give a crap, so was unlikely to call him on it.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3492 Previous topic | Next topic