Subject: "Log in initiative?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3466
Show all folders

highbutterflyMon 26-Sep-11 10:23 AM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3466, "Log in initiative?"

From AD&D, I know that initiative refers who strikes first in a melee round. Someone on gameplay just posted that there is a well known effect of logging in/out on initiative in CF. Is this true?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TwistMon 26-Sep-11 11:03 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3467, "Sorta"
In response to Reply #0

It used to be that if X and Y were involved in a PK situation, and X had logged in more recently (or linkdropped and reconnected), X's swings would come first in melee, and Y's would come after.

That has been changed to the reverse, making it even more beneficial to remain logged in. This coincided with the WHO list becoming 'flipped', showing characters at the top who had been logged in longer and more recent logins at the bottom.

highbutterflyMon 26-Sep-11 01:15 PM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
#3471, "Thank you!"
In response to Reply #1

That's a really nice balance act, like most of what you guys put into the game: a reward for taking the risk of being around longer, but not so much reward that it's unbeatable.

Thanks for explaining it, it's hard not to get paranoid when everyone really is trying to kill you

OldrilWed 28-Sep-11 09:51 PM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3482, "Awesome change"
In response to Reply #1

Never knew this got put in. Thanks for this.

JavaFri 30-Sep-11 03:58 AM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#3484, "One thing I'm not sure if you guys are aware of.."
In response to Reply #1

It isn't based on who actually "logs in" first. It's based on who connects to the game first. The difference? You can theoretically connect and stare at the skull for an hour or so, then connect and the game will pop you at the middle/top of the who list, rather than at the bottom where you belong.

Not sure if it's significant enough to fix, but it's something I noticed when ZMud likes to auto-reconnect when I quit out, and sits there til I log back in.
I know the game will disconnect idle connections after a while.. but it seems to take over an hour or so.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3466 Previous topic | Next topic