Subject: "Tiger claw vs Shaman?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2726
Show all folders

vorianThu 29-Jul-10 05:29 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
212 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2726, "Tiger claw vs Shaman?"

Hello,

I wonder if tigerclaw will render a shaman (or any communer) unable to use its maledictions on me. Also, I'd like to know, if tigerclaw works, for how many rounds the communer will be 'disabled' and if it lags.

Since, as an assassin, I can't hide from duergar Shamans, any tips on how to win a fight (beside using their light and wrath vulns and dual wield) would be most welcomed: I've been fighting many and only able to flee or die. Is tigerclaw the key to success? Shall I only fight near a city Healer so I can heal plague?

Thank you

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Other questions about Assassin's skills, vorian, 30-Jul-10 06:00 PM, #3
Reply RE: Other questions about Assassin's skills, Daevryn, 31-Jul-10 10:54 AM, #4
     Reply Thank you! n/t, vorian, 31-Jul-10 01:18 PM, #5
     Reply acidic darts, incognito, 01-Aug-10 02:04 PM, #6
Reply I spent a couple minute in game ICly going over this wi..., Gobl, 30-Jul-10 01:28 PM, #2
Reply RE: Tiger claw vs Shaman?, Daevryn, 29-Jul-10 06:03 PM, #1

vorianFri 30-Jul-10 06:00 PM
212 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2729, "RE: Other questions about Assassin's skills"
In response to Reply #0

Thank you for the answers about dealing with Shamans.

My other questions are:

1)About the 3 differents poisondarts...

a)How many rounds sleep last?
b)What are the effects of confusion and how many rounds do they last?
c)What are the effects of acidic and how many rounds do they last?

2) And about Kansetsuwasa...

Somebody told me that if I land Kote before, I have a better chance to land Kan...
a) I suppose it's because save vs Kan is based on dex?
b) Is it easier to land earlier title skills ? (ex: trip easier to land than Kote; kote easier than Kan; etc...)
c) What is exactly the effect of 'slow' when I crunch with Kan? Does it only lower the dex? does it also slow recuperation rate?, does it also reduce the number of attack per round (that would be especially good against warriors)?

Thank you for helping me understanding this great game!

DaevrynSat 31-Jul-10 10:54 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#2730, "RE: Other questions about Assassin's skills"
In response to Reply #3

>1)About the 3 differents poisondarts...
>
> a)How many rounds sleep last?

None; the sleep poison has more of a lethargy/slowing effect.

> b)What are the effects of confusion and how many rounds do
>they last?

The main effect is that when you attack or use a targeted ability, you may get the wrong target.

> c)What are the effects of acidic and how many rounds do they
>last?

Ongoing damage.

I don't remember how many ticks/hours these things last. It probably is a little random and varies by level.

>2) And about Kansetsuwasa...
>
>Somebody told me that if I land Kote before, I have a better
>chance to land Kan...

They are mistaken.

> a) I suppose it's because save vs Kan is based on dex?
> b) Is it easier to land earlier title skills ? (ex: trip
>easier to land than Kote; kote easier than Kan; etc...)

Not necessarily; different skills have different success factors, and different skills are more likely to succeed than others.

To use your examples, trip generally IS more likely to succeed than kotegaeshi IS more likely to succeed than kansetsuwaza, but that's not based on the level you get them. Mountain storm kick, for example, will tend to succeed more than kansetsuwaza even though it's later.

Kotegaeshi and kansetsuwaza, in many cases, won't be much more than a check against a fraction of your skill. Both of those skills have decent fail rates even at 100%, but they're very powerful and both have a lot of potential to completely turn the appropriate kind of fight around.

> c) What is exactly the effect of 'slow' when I crunch with
>Kan? Does it only lower the dex? does it also slow
>recuperation rate?, does it also reduce the number of attack
>per round (that would be especially good against warriors)?

Essentially, it makes it harder for them to defend themselves (parry/dodge/etc.), it makes it easier for you to defend against their attacks (same), and makes them less likely to take as many attacks. So, yeah, it's primarily of value against people who are beating you down with melee attacks.

vorianSat 31-Jul-10 01:17 PM
212 posts
#2731, "Thank you! n/t"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Sat 31-Jul-10 01:18 PM

incognitoSun 01-Aug-10 02:04 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2732, "acidic darts"
In response to Reply #4

Acidic darts also do a -5 str if I recall correctly.

The damage they inflict can also be useful for bringing people out of hiding on the tick (if you have allies after them, for example).

GoblFri 30-Jul-10 01:25 PM
Member since 30th Jul 2010
2 posts
#2728, "I spent a couple minute in game ICly going over this wi..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 30-Jul-10 01:28 PM

I went over this with you while we were grouped.

DaevrynThu 29-Jul-10 06:03 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#2727, "RE: Tiger claw vs Shaman?"
In response to Reply #0

>Hello,
>
>I wonder if tigerclaw will render a shaman (or any communer)
>unable to use its maledictions on me.

Nope. You don't need to speak to commune.

>Since, as an assassin, I can't hide from duergar Shamans, any
>tips on how to win a fight (beside using their light and wrath
>vulns and dual wield) would be most welcomed: I've been
>fighting many and only able to flee or die.

1) If you're hidden in forests or many other kinds of wild terrain, a duergar can't see you.

2) NPC healers and malediction cure potions/pills are helpful; so is bindwounds.

3) Having a teleport potion in your inventory is a good way to escape if you have to.

4) Getting the shaman's weapon and/or shield out of his hands via your crippling techniques (mostly kote/kans) is usually possible. While this doesn't stop communing, it will reduce their melee damage and more importantly, their ability to deflect your melee attacks.

5) Command denial (lag) attacks will slow down communing. Throw is a good early option and remains good in the case that protective shield isn't up; otherwise, you're probably looking at mountain storm kick or double spin kick.

6) -spell gear will make most communes less likely to land; +strength gear will make it harder for poison/plague/weaken/famish/wither/etc. to disarm you.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2726 Previous topic | Next topic