Subject: "Questions about Hunters" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2472
Show all folders

ilanthasThu 02-Jul-09 03:58 PM
Member since 26th Apr 2009
15 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2472, "Questions about Hunters"

Hello all,
I have tried a few different Elf hunters and failed miserably. So I have a few question.
1. I want a race that can be good so would Half-Elves, Arials, or felars make better hunters?
2. Are the skills that a hunter gets worth what they lose?
3. Is there a trick to mastering defenses once you get to lvl 15?
Thanks for any input,
Ilanthas

Yesterday is forever gone, tomorrow may never come, today is the day of all days

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Questions about Hunters, Welverin, 24-Feb-10 10:30 AM, #8
Reply RE: Questions about Hunters, Daevryn, 24-Feb-10 10:40 AM, #9
     Reply RE: Questions about Hunters, Welverin, 24-Feb-10 12:41 PM, #10
          Reply RE: Questions about Hunters, Daevryn, 24-Feb-10 12:43 PM, #11
               Reply RE: Questions about Hunters, Welverin, 26-Feb-10 04:00 PM, #12
Reply RE: Questions about Hunters, Serial Ranger, 01-Aug-09 10:56 PM, #3
Reply One particular bow, Klaak, 08-Nov-09 06:57 PM, #4
Reply Are you talking about the Whistling Winds one? If so, ..., Serial Ranger, 16-Jan-10 04:56 PM, #5
Reply Wood-elf Hunters with high wilderness time = #1 tank in..., TheLastMohican, 23-Jan-10 12:50 PM, #6
     Reply Except any newbie can go grab couple of iron swords and..., Dervish, 23-Jan-10 08:03 PM, #7
Reply RE: Questions about Hunters, Dervish, 08-Jul-09 11:14 PM, #2
Reply RE: Questions about Hunters, Curmudgeoneer, 02-Jul-09 08:14 PM, #1

WelverinWed 24-Feb-10 10:30 AM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
624 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2602, "RE: Questions about Hunters"
In response to Reply #0

tried a couple of hunters early on a few years ago. Never took them very far, part due to my newbieness at the time. but also due to the fact that I had no knowledge of Bows and such. Finding them was a huge pain. I still only know of a few.... And not many of them good. Maybe I'll have to role one later and start looking for them. I've found human rangers to be my choice, but I'm starting to branch away from the goodies that I play specifically with rangers, cause once I hit 28, it became much more problematic to solo rank with them due to the lack of real areas for a good ranger to rank in.

DaevrynWed 24-Feb-10 10:40 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#2603, "RE: Questions about Hunters"
In response to Reply #8

> lack of real areas for a good ranger to rank
>in.

This is your aforementioned newbishness talking, FYI.

WelverinWed 24-Feb-10 12:41 PM
624 posts
#2604, "RE: Questions about Hunters"
In response to Reply #9

That very well could be, but I should probably clarify, by Solo Rank I am really looking for a place that I can get an average fo 200-250 exp per mob, with perhaps 10% of my health per, that makes the give and take more in my range. I know there are probably tactics that I could employ, but I think it's probably a given that Neutrals and Evils have more options for ranking a ranger up thank Goods do. My experience in limited, that's admitted, but the last two that I did, kind of stalled out at 28 and 30 respectively on solo ranking. I was probably doing something wrong, and if I spent more time at it, could probably figure it out.... The bow part though, it should would be nice to have a few more nice bows at the low/mid ranks. I didn't get a hunter up to fashion bow yet, maybe I will try that, but if Fashion bow and imbue work the way someone else here stated, I would say the same thing, why have it? Maybe it's time to just walk the walk, and see what I find.

DaevrynWed 24-Feb-10 12:43 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#2605, "RE: Questions about Hunters"
In response to Reply #10

>That very well could be, but I should probably clarify, by
>Solo Rank I am really looking for a place that I can get an
>average fo 200-250 exp per mob, with perhaps 10% of my health
>per, that makes the give and take more in my range.

Oh. Then you can't do that period in the game past a certain level, really. The game's not built for solo.

WelverinFri 26-Feb-10 04:00 PM
624 posts
#2606, "RE: Questions about Hunters"
In response to Reply #11

Lesson Learned today. I can't believe I though Solo was a better way to do it. thanks for correction. I will swear at the screen with my next mage every time I hear.... "I learn alone..." or "I train my skills" Ugh.

Serial RangerSat 01-Aug-09 10:56 PM
Member since 01st Aug 2009
21 posts
#2496, "RE: Questions about Hunters"
In response to Reply #0

Hello there, Elf Hunter.

I happen to enjoy playing rangers quite a bit, but for me to try to PK with them is relatively silly. I like them mainly for the ease of exploring some areas that I could not otherwise explore. Hunters happen to be my favorite for this, too.

1) If I were to choose an Elven race, it would be wood-elf, simply for the major bonuses they seem to get with this particular wilderness class. But my favorite rangers happen to be Felar. High con, High Dex and if you are not playing a hunter, you get bonus claw attacks while wielding your Ranger Staff/Spear.

2) I rarely miss any of the skills I lose as a Hunter. As I said, I tend to play felar, so I don't use axe very often anyway, however I dislike having a harder time defending against it. And I miss blindness scrolls just for the fun of them.

3) And there is no real trick, really that I can think of. I spend a lot of time in my character's early life traveling alone to give me more chance to improve my defenses and they are usually pretty high by the time I get to level 30 or so.

My major complaint about Hunters, however, is the issue of Bows. Whereas half the teenies are running around with Avg 20 or better weapons, Hunters get a hard shaft(no pun intended). If your knowledge of bows isn't good, or at least half-decent, then you are going to be boned hard. I know some obscure bows, but most of those I wouldn't be able to get unless dead or level 30+, more like 40+ in some cases, though. And Fashionbow is a joke. Remove it, there's no point to it. The Damage sucks, it doesn't seem to Prog for healing or anything else, and by the time you can make it, there actually ARE better bows you can get. Bleh.

KlaakSun 08-Nov-09 06:57 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
350 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2537, "One particular bow"
In response to Reply #3

that I know of is fairly decent, and is very easy to run and get as a ghost the first time you die. It's almost always in, so even if you lose it, you can usually go back and get it again right away. If you can enlist the aid of a conjurer, it can be can be gained very easily with his familiar. Once you're able to creep, you can do it while alive fairly easily, with only minimal consequences.

Serial RangerSat 16-Jan-10 04:56 PM
Member since 01st Aug 2009
21 posts
#2573, "Are you talking about the Whistling Winds one? If so, ..."
In response to Reply #4

And not all rangers can creep there so well, so chances are you need to be dead.

TheLastMohicanSat 23-Jan-10 12:50 PM
Member since 25th Oct 2005
342 posts
#2577, "Wood-elf Hunters with high wilderness time = #1 tank in..."
In response to Reply #3

Seriously.

DervishSat 23-Jan-10 08:03 PM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#2578, "Except any newbie can go grab couple of iron swords and..."
In response to Reply #6

nt

DervishWed 08-Jul-09 11:14 PM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#2482, "RE: Questions about Hunters"
In response to Reply #0

If you fail with this combo maybe you try another?

Elf hunter is not very good or easy for PKilling. Its mostly exploring combo, as for me.

1. Each race has its own advantages, but I'd suggest felar. Felars are great rangers, you tank a bit worse, your INT sucks, which means you must spend much more time practicing your skills, but felars are good with spears and have high CON. So I'd advice this race.

3. Find mist wraiths (ask about them IC), its very good place to master defences. But imo your skills will be mastered just during ranking, just stand in front and take the blows. Especially when you get wilderness familiarity.

CurmudgeoneerThu 02-Jul-09 08:14 PM
Member since 02nd Jul 2009
2 posts
#2477, "RE: Questions about Hunters"
In response to Reply #0

3) I hero'd an elven forester/hunter without serious issues. I had no chance at pk because I am not that good at it. I should say that I had a dozen chances at cheap kills and passed them up. That is just my style. But from a survivability stand point elf forest/hunter is exceptional. Post 35 go underwater.

2) Each has pluses and minuses. I think each are doable with the right build and cabal set up. Just avoid lightning axes, iron axes, or axes in general. Did I say AXES? Someone out there has the solution for this but I don't.

3) Losing axe is miserable. Simply painful. Iron axe wielding devils from hell.

I think the bottom line is that good talent in this game would rap a role/cabal/religion around any of these, exploit the advantages and minimize the weaknesses.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2472 Previous topic | Next topic