Subject: "Help on Religions" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2189
Show all folders

GrudanSun 27-Jul-08 10:54 PM
Member since 21st Sep 2007
57 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2189, "Help on Religions"

I want to try something new in CF I've never done before. I want to take part in a religion. Been playing this game since the first age, and I've never had any serious in game intereaction with a religion.

I did have a tattoo once. About 2 weeks after tattoos came in the game in the first (second?) age, I asked Trouble for his with my dwarvern battlerager and got his, only to have to have him remove it 2 days later when I realized I kept spellbaning and injuring myself on the spells it was casting on me.

I'm not even set on getting a tattoo (wouldn't argue with one) I just want to be part of something greater then just 'level, pk, repeat'.

My problem is I can't really get into the whole concept of it. I've read the mechanics in the helpfile. "Send a note. Find the shrine. Pray. RP the part."

But, what do I say?

"I want to help spread the word". Well I could do that on my own, why bother the gods?

"I want to learn more about your religion?" Well there's the Lyceum, or other followers, etc.

"I want more power for myself and maybe a tattoo?" Isn't that the first rule of CF that people who ask for things usually don't get it?

It just seems to me that most of the major players in this game have this stuff figured out. Most have tattoos. I see level 15's with titles regarding religions "Seeker of.." "blood ...". It can't be THAT hard, can it?

I just keep replaying this over and over in my head and I can't figure out how this 'I'd like to be part of your religion" discussion doesn't end up with me sounding like an idiot? In the end I just don't think I have the vocabulary to get anything out of this.

Any guidance here? I'd really just like to learn how this works. What do people say without outright asking for a tattoo or sounding like 'hey how's it going, just called you to your shrine to shoot the breeze?'

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Help on Religions, Isildur, 30-Jul-08 09:09 AM, #6
Reply RE: Help on Religions, Isildur, 30-Jul-08 09:55 AM, #8
Reply Answers?, Kastellyn, 28-Jul-08 06:05 PM, #5
Reply RE: Answers?, Isildur, 30-Jul-08 09:11 AM, #7
Reply Read 2 threads down., Lyristeon, 28-Jul-08 12:15 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Read 2 threads down., Grudan, 28-Jul-08 08:10 AM, #2
          Reply Play them as you'd play an empowerment class txt..., Amberion, 28-Jul-08 10:26 AM, #3
          Reply RE: Play them as you'd play an empowerment class txt..., Grudan, 28-Jul-08 03:15 PM, #4
          Reply Blood Stuff, Eshval, 30-Jul-08 09:28 PM, #9

IsildurWed 30-Jul-08 09:09 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2204, "RE: Help on Religions"
In response to Reply #0

Take a cue from real life. Prayers typically involve:

1. Adoration. You're voicing praise for your deity because he or she is worthy of praise.

2. Information. You're telling the deity something you're going to do, or stating some other fact about the world.

3. Confession. You're confessing something you did, or some character flaw you have. This is usually followed by...

4. Petition. You're asking for something, though not necessarily something tangible. For instance, maybe you're asking the deity to help you forgive someone.

5. Imprecation. You're praying for your deity to strike someone down. This is less applicable to CF since CF deities typically don't directly mess with "enemy" mortals.

IsildurWed 30-Jul-08 09:55 AM
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2206, "RE: Help on Religions"
In response to Reply #6

Also:

6. Thanks. You're thanking the deity for something he/she did directly, or something else that you want to attribute to them.

KastellynMon 28-Jul-08 06:05 PM
864 posts
#2196, "Answers?"
In response to Reply #0

Since non-empowerment classes don't need Immortal intervention, you can approach a religion from a slightly different perspective. You should have an understanding of the basic tenents and beliefs of the religion, but most Imms will be happy to work with you to teach you the details as you progress.

So my advice would be to head to the shrine as you progress through the levels and "meditate" for a little while after throwing a pray up there. If the levels keep going by and you don't get any interaction, send a quick note to the Imm in question letting them know you're following their religion.

Religions in CF are about sets of beliefs and sometimes require you to act in certain ways, just like religions in RL. When I'm working a religious character in CF, I always make sure I can answer the question "Why does my character want to follow this religion?" before I go seek out my patron Imm. There should be something in the character's past (and hopefully in their role) that drives them towards that particular religion.

Not sure if this helps, but it's worked for me in the past.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

*** Email me your testimonials or two-line blurbs. Help our marketing efforts! ***

IsildurWed 30-Jul-08 09:11 AM
5969 posts
#2205, "RE: Answers?"
In response to Reply #5

> When I'm working a religious character in CF, I always make
>sure I can answer the question "Why does my character want to
>follow this religion?" before I go seek out my patron Imm.
>There should be something in the character's past (and
>hopefully in their role) that drives them towards that
>particular religion.

This is an excellent point, and one that applies to more than just religions. Specifically, I feel like it should apply to cabal membership application.

LyristeonMon 28-Jul-08 12:15 AM
Member since 02nd Jan 2004
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2190, "Read 2 threads down."
In response to Reply #0

Corrlaan gives some good advice in empowerment.

GrudanMon 28-Jul-08 08:10 AM
57 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2191, "RE: Read 2 threads down."
In response to Reply #1

Well, I apprecaite the reply.

My question had nothing to do with empowerment, or empowered classes, however.

I'm talking about the level 15 necromancers walking around with titles like 'Blood Child", or the warriors or the shapeshifters with tattoos in their 30s, etc. Obviously a level 10 healer HAS to talk to an immortal, it's clear to everyone why they're there. But what does the level 15 warrior say in a shrine?

I tend to make very long posts when simple ones would work, so I'm not clear lots of times.

My point simply: How does a non empowered class go about getting into a religion? What is the immortal expecting? Is there some process for that sort of thing outside empowered classes?

The fact even my question on the matter wasn't understood makes me feel very unlikely I'll ever get this working in game.

AmberionMon 28-Jul-08 10:26 AM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
#2192, "Play them as you'd play an empowerment class txt..."
In response to Reply #2

Force yourself to head to a shrine say, every 10th level? Or something like that, just head there. RP a bunch, send a few prayers (maybe 3-4 over the course of 1-1.5 hours). If you don't get interaction, pack up and head out again and pretend that it's was just what your char needed in terms of meditation or whatever. Sooner or later you'll get something done. And I do believe that most imms will notice if you're new to it and maybe throw you a hint or two, or guide your conversations a bit.

Hope that helped. (Btw, had the same problem before...)

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

GrudanMon 28-Jul-08 03:15 PM
57 posts
#2193, "RE: Play them as you'd play an empowerment class txt..."
In response to Reply #3

Thanks, that helps me a lot (both the answer and knowing other people had the same problem!)

Much oblieged.

EshvalWed 30-Jul-08 09:28 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2211, "Blood Stuff"
In response to Reply #2

Those are folks who seek me out. I primarily give them out for a couple reasons. Let me first explain the benefits of my titles: It is a quick reference to me as to who took the time to interact with me (must be one of my spheres); it is a small reward of encouragement to those who take the time to interact and know a 'little' about me and the religion; it provides the other players with a target to beat on - those who get my tattoo have no titles for rp reasons, but until that time they have a big bull's eye on them.

Imms also give out titles for a variety of reasons like you are always getting lost, dying horribly in a variety of new ways, you peform a great act, you tell a good story, you're a dumba** and the imm wants everyone to know it or it's 'Title Tuesday!'

Often you will find more writings and clues about religions within the shrines...if you look.

Check out the other threads on empowerment.

eshval@carrionfields.com

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them. - Source unknown

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2189 Previous topic | Next topic