Subject: "Areas command" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1589
Show all folders

LundSun 24-Dec-06 11:28 AM
Member since 15th Dec 2006
21 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1589, "Areas command"

I seem to be doing something wrong. I type things like the following:

areas 1 5

areas 5 10

areas

And I get the same answer no matter what - the entire list of areas.

How do I get a smaller list, specific to newbies?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Areas command, Rayihn, 24-Dec-06 09:59 PM, #2
Reply He, like me, may have thought, (NOT Pro), 25-Dec-06 02:47 AM, #3
     Reply RE: He, like me, may have thought, Lund, 25-Dec-06 05:34 AM, #4
          Reply RE: He, like me, may have thought, Kastellyn, 25-Dec-06 09:38 PM, #5
               Reply RE: He, like me, may have thought, Lund, 26-Dec-06 03:38 AM, #6
                    Reply RE: He, like me, may have thought, Sandello, 04-Jan-07 06:47 PM, #7
Reply RE: Areas command, TheFrog, 24-Dec-06 01:03 PM, #1

RayihnSun 24-Dec-06 09:59 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1591, "RE: Areas command"
In response to Reply #0

If I type, 'areas 1 5' I get a list of probably 30 areas, all of which have level range in what you're looking for. I'm not sure why it would be giving you the entire list of areas.

I think most helpful for newbies is 'help newbie3' which gives a good listing of basic newbie levelling areas and some directions on how to find most of them. Try that out. If you have further questions beyond that, ask on the newbie channel or here. I, naturally, recommend the Seaport of Hamsah for levels 1-10.

Pro (inactive user)Mon 25-Dec-06 02:47 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #2

It would show you areas that fell within those parameters, not areas that included them.

LundMon 25-Dec-06 05:31 AM
21 posts
#1593, "RE: He, like me, may have thought"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Mon 25-Dec-06 05:34 AM

>It would show you areas that fell within those parameters,
>not areas that included them.

Yup. You hit the nail on the head. Otherwise, why include the higher parameter? If I say - areas 1 5 - and I get a list of areas good for 1 to 30 - what did the "5" accomplish? I understand what the lesser digit "1" accomplished and I see the value of showing more areas as opposed to less, I just don't understand the significance of the "5" in the syntax employed.

KastellynMon 25-Dec-06 09:38 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
864 posts
#1594, "RE: He, like me, may have thought"
In response to Reply #4

>>It would show you areas that fell within those parameters,
>>not areas that included them.

All of those areas have at least one end of their range within your parameters. If you limited it to areas that fell between both of your parameters, how would you see a great lower level ranking area that also worked well for higher level ranking?

Yup. You hit the nail on the head. Otherwise, why include the higher parameter? If I say - areas 1 5 - and I get a list of areas good for 1 to 30 - what did the "5" accomplish? I understand what the lesser digit "1" accomplished and I see the value of showing more areas as opposed to less, I just don't understand the significance of the "5" in the syntax employed.

Say there is an area that's good for levels 5 to 15; that area will show up if you type in 'areas 1 5'. It won't show up if you type in 'areas 1 4'. That's what your upper-limit accomplished - it brought in the areas that have a lower lower-limit.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

LundTue 26-Dec-06 03:38 AM
21 posts
#1595, "RE: He, like me, may have thought"
In response to Reply #5

>Say there is an area that's good for levels 5 to 15; that area
>will show up if you type in 'areas 1 5'. It won't show up if
>you type in 'areas 1 4'. That's what your upper-limit
>accomplished - it brought in the areas that have a lower
>lower-limit.

OK. Thanks! So both parameters are employed to filter the lower bound. The upper bound remains unfiltered. Makes sense now. I appreciate the explanation.

SandelloThu 04-Jan-07 06:47 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
175 posts
#1602, "RE: He, like me, may have thought"
In response to Reply #6

Actually, no, it does filtering on the upper bound as well - it makes sure the upper bound is bigger than the smaller of the two parameters. So if you enter 'areas 20 30', the area that is good for levels 15-25, will make it into the list, but the area that is good for levels 5-15 won't.

It basically returns the areas whose level ranges intersect with the level range specified by the parameters you enter.

TheFrogSun 24-Dec-06 01:03 PM
Member since 23rd Dec 2005
77 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#1590, "RE: Areas command"
In response to Reply #0

I think you can only use "area 5" or "area 10"

Or you can use "area newbie" which bring everything between 1 and 10 I think...

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1589 Previous topic | Next topic