Subject: "Newbie channel." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #156
Show all folders

ATKTue 03-Jun-03 02:27 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
59 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#156, "Newbie channel."

I think you need to make the newbie channel useable from 1-20(?) for people who state they are new to the mud. I have experienced a few newbies that really struggle with basic commands and the like that linger in the 11-> . I suggest that you add lenght to the newbie channel, for those who state they are new to the mud. That way I would not have needed to go OOC in tells, to explain the most basic things. Things..that are far to small to pray for you to deal with.

ATK

ATK

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

incognitoWed 04-Jun-03 03:55 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#159, "good, but has drawbacks"
In response to Reply #0

Newbie1: Help! Someone necromancer has me slept on eastern road.

Newbie2: Don't discuss that on this channel.

Newbie3: Don't worry. I'm coming.

NewbieNecro: Bastards.

===========

Personally I'd be happy to stay on the newbie channel from 1 to hero provided that I have the option of switching it off when annoying people start yapping.

However, you would always have the problem of people trying to abuse it to call for help, or ask questions that they shouldn't. The only way I can see of deterring everyone from this would be mass slayings, and that would catch a lot of newbs and put them off the game.

Being in pk range and having access to a universal channel don't really compliment each other that well.

Personally, if I have to explain a concept suited to a newbie channel, I'll use tell to do it, and explain that ooc questions are to be avoided if it is at all possible to.

ATKWed 04-Jun-03 05:28 AM
59 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#160, "You can.."
In response to Reply #2

Either make it so only heroes/imms can hear it from 11->, and the right of newbie channel can easily be taken away from them at the slight rule break.

ATK

incognitoWed 04-Jun-03 07:15 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#161, "don't think that works either."
In response to Reply #3

If only heros and imms could hear it from 11 up, it would defeat the point of it.

Why? Because if I'm a level 20 using the newbie channel, I can't hear the replies to my question on the newbie channel. Then someone has to use a tell to give me the answer, and we are back to square one.

ValguarneraWed 04-Jun-03 12:51 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#162, "Yup."
In response to Reply #2

Also, a lot of aspects of the CF system basically say "Once you're level 11, you're expected to have learned at least how to look up answers to most questions." In addition to PK range, cabal induction can come into play, the areas are tougher, etc. The newbie channel gets abused enough as is, and I think expanding its reach will just create more headaches for its moderators.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

DeavrTue 03-Jun-03 08:12 PM
32 posts
#158, "I second this great idea. (nt)"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #156 Previous topic | Next topic