Subject: "Not really expecting much from this query..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Twist / Gurgthock Topic #303
Show all folders

TheLastMohicanSun 29-Nov-09 06:41 PM
Member since 25th Oct 2005
342 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#303, "Not really expecting much from this query..."

...but it's been on my mind.

Who was the first person to use forceduel?

How did you all come up with that idea? How hard was the original implementation?

Did the playerbase lose their #### when it was first introduced?

Could you ever see a character getting forceduel again?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DaevrynTue 01-Dec-09 01:23 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#306, "RE: Not really expecting much from this query..."
In response to Reply #0

>How did you all come up with that idea? How hard was the
>original implementation?

I think the original idea was mine, with Cador (who wrote the code) and I think Twist contributing ideas as we hashed it out.

My idea at the time being that most cabals had some kind of power which in some sense either forced you to play by their rules or set some kind of consequence for not doing so, e.g., Battle's spellbane made casting spells on them, something you'd normally want to do as a mage, not such a great idea, Tribunal's wanted let them assign consequences for breaking the law, and so on. Knights didn't really have that, and it seemed interesting to give them some kind of capacity to force an enemy to fight them with numerical parity if not honor in a broader sense.

TwistSun 29-Nov-09 09:03 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#304, "That's actually several questions, but:"
In response to Reply #0

>Who was the first person to use forceduel?
Pretty sure this was Lachdanan, my mortal Avatar of Cador. At that point, FD was given to select Knights of Thera who were bloodied. Soon after, Challen got it. Not sure who after that.

>How did you all come up with that idea? How hard was the
>original implementation?
Basically it was a power to give to Knights to get them an honest-to-goodness 1v1 fight. The original implementation was that it was a Knight cabal power, and sent the caller and the victim to a one-room area in a fight to the death. I don't know how difficult it was to code.

>Did the playerbase lose their #### when it was first
>introduced?
I'm pretty sure there was some bitching about Lachdanan getting it, but then I used it on people that tooled me (Kah, Llorenthos, Zharradam, for instance) and the bitching about it seemed to decrease greatly.

>Could you ever see a character getting forceduel again?
Well keep in mind that FD was reworked quite a bit when it came back (Knights had been gone for a while, and the Ehren Guard was an honor-based concept.) Being in the EG meant you got some internal healing (ala having Knight golden weapons) while in combat, FD, xpmod 3 (solo leveling got you the same xp as if you were in a group of 3), and it was expected that you'd never fight someone in a group, you'd always solo-level, and you'd never join a cabal. Oh and FD took you to a 3X3 arena, to better allow for fleeing/prepping/etc.

I highly doubt this would be a viable thing in today's game. Nothing's impossible though.

TheLastMohicanMon 30-Nov-09 12:26 AM
Member since 25th Oct 2005
342 posts
#305, "You da man. NT"
In response to Reply #1

SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE

Top Twist / Gurgthock Topic #303 Previous topic | Next topic