Subject: "The Hogfather! On Sky at christmas..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #765
Show all folders

GinGaSat 02-Dec-06 03:06 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#765, "The Hogfather! On Sky at christmas..."

And I'm going to be in Berlin with no sky tv access. Phooey.

From the looks of things there are no currently planned dvd releases either. I'll have to ask a mate to record it. I pray to god its popular enough that they consider one, because I love Terry Pratchett and the production actually looks to be great quality. David Jason is playing Albert and I think he'd do the character a great deal of justice. Though in my head, I'll always see him as Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses...

I know Zulgh is a Pratchett fan, how many more are eager to see how his book translates to the screen?

Yhorian.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Youtube links to Hogfather 'behind the scenes' previews, GinGa, 11-Dec-06 03:04 PM, #7
Reply Will be airing next Sunday!, GinGa, 10-Dec-06 11:50 PM, #6
Reply I'm so downloading it =) nt, Marcus_, 03-Dec-06 11:00 AM, #2
Reply Eh...?, Saith, 03-Dec-06 10:36 AM, #1
     Reply Explanation within!, GinGa, 03-Dec-06 02:52 PM, #3
          Reply Pratchett rocks Nuff said. -NT, Daelen, 03-Dec-06 08:22 PM, #4
          Reply Wow... that sounds awesome!...nt, Saith, 04-Dec-06 10:26 PM, #5

GinGaMon 11-Dec-06 02:53 PM
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#815, "Youtube links to Hogfather 'behind the scenes' previews"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 11-Dec-06 03:04 PM

A summary!
Welcome to the Hogfather.

12 days of Hogfather:
Day 1
Day 2
More to come there...

Meet the man himself and hear his part:
Interview with Terry Pratchett!
(Much like Stan Lee, he's snuck into the cast too)

And my favourite subject. A special on DEATH!
(ME... ME AGAIN... STILL ME... OH, I THOUGHT YOU COULD HEAR ME. AH WELL.)

Death the character! Played by a dutchman. Despite the classic 'dutcsh' accent, he is actually very good at it.

Enjoy!

Yhorian

GinGaSun 10-Dec-06 11:50 PM
996 posts
#808, "Will be airing next Sunday!"
In response to Reply #0

If you can get it on Sky, prepare to download it soon after.

I'll find a bittorrent link and seed it just for you guys.

Yhorian.

Marcus_Sun 03-Dec-06 11:00 AM
681 posts
#769, "I'm so downloading it =) nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

SaithSun 03-Dec-06 10:36 AM
Member since 28th Feb 2005
144 posts
#768, "Eh...?"
In response to Reply #0

I have no idea -what- you're talking about.

Please explain.

"Then hunger proved more powerful than grief." - Count Ugolino and the Tower of Hunger

GinGaSun 03-Dec-06 02:34 PM
996 posts
#770, "Explanation within!"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Sun 03-Dec-06 02:52 PM

Here's my own brand summary of the novel from memory.
(Disclaimer: Statements may not be accurate!)

The Hogfather is a Terry Pratchett novel (number 20 in the discworld series, according to my girlfriends numerically arranged collection) that concerns a holiday known in Ankhmorpork as Hogswatchnight.

On this day, a mythical man known as the Hogfather hops from house to house delivering presents. Children eagerly await his appearance when his sleigh, led by four wild boars, lands on their rooftops. It is said he comes from far away, where his presents and pork-based treats are made by his elven companions. But only those who make the list, that list of names that distinguishes who has been nice and who has been naughty, will the children be getting anything they deserve.

This holiday season, the assassins guild has had a very unusual client buy a writ. Someone has paid a great sum of money to kill the Hogfather himself! They're naturally up for the challenge but they stun the world when the man they place on the writ actually succeeds.

The story goes, that one day Albert (the Hogfather's PE, personal elf) discovers that the Hogfather is missing. Up until this point, no mythical man had ever been assassinated. Mostly because they're mythical and therefore not real or living. But also because Death has a problem collecting his mythical associates. It sort of puts a bad air on things and he would hate to not be invited to their mythical soire's. Which, it should be noted, are also not real. Not one to let his mythical associates down either, Death steps up to take his place. Much to the embarassment of his granddaughter, Susan Sto-Helit.

The tale follows how she discovers a terrible plot construed by a bunch of very angry Auditors and executed by a mad assassin. When holiday cheer is being spread by the Grim Reaper (with, I hope, a cameo appearance by the Death of Rats!) and Unseen University is having to document the sparse creation of unusual gods, is it really important that the tooth fairy seems to be doing the kids a bum deal?

Watch (or read) and find out!

If you have never read Terry Pratchett, I would first like to say I pity you. Truly. Watch the TV adaptation and read one of his books, his humour is uniquely eccentric and mocks reality in a way so subtle as to be obvious. He has been an inspiration of mine since childhood and more recently Neil Gaman's works have reminded me why I enjoyed a similar style of writing. I should mention now, that while Neil Gaman and Terry Pratchett are somewhat different in style - if you like one, you'll like the other.

Hope that helps. Excuse the length of my explanation - its the anticipation that's driving me crazy. I've never heard of a 'nervous writer' but I'll be damned if thats going to stop me being the first.

Yhorian.

DaelenSun 03-Dec-06 08:22 PM
Member since 02nd Nov 2006
51 posts
#771, "Pratchett rocks Nuff said. -NT"
In response to Reply #3

nt means no text silly.

SaithMon 04-Dec-06 10:26 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2005
144 posts
#772, "Wow... that sounds awesome!...nt"
In response to Reply #3

Yeah Buddy!

"Then hunger proved more powerful than grief." - Count Ugolino and the Tower of Hunger

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #765 Previous topic | Next topic