Subject: "Hoping for some info/advice..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2272
Show all folders

TMNSSun 14-May-17 02:52 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2272, "Hoping for some info/advice..."

Using Windows 10.

Turned off automatic update.

Get an update a few days ago...research it, seems ok. Hear that there are cyber attacks going on/hacking etc...so assume that the update is for that.

Since the update, my computer random freezes. There is no noticeable cause (I have task manager up constantly and notice no unwanted programs nor any excessive memory or CPU use, in fact usually when the computer freezes both of those go to 1% or lower with System Idle Process at 99%...even if I am running Chrome or VLC player or whatever) and thus I am at a loss at what to do.

Have run three separate (as in different products) virus scans, nothing serious found. The only other noticeable difference is one of my chrome extensions has simply stopped working altogether. Is a corrupted file the issue (as in the computer tries to read it and hangs until it gives up?) or should I just restore to the point before the update?

It doesn't crash FWIW, it just (literally) freezes for 2-5 minutes then "comes out of it" and works normally for 20-120 minutes.

Happens most often when it idles for a while, if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance, I know this is mostly a shot in the dark.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hadashdakonFri 30-Mar-18 10:30 PM
Member since 29th Mar 2009
9 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2283, "RE: Hoping for some info/advice..."
In response to Reply #0

So first off its been YEARS since I've played or even read the forum; but this same thing happened to me.

I was running Windows 10 on a 850 Evo SSD and ended up having to do a clean install onto a different SSD. I tried absolutely everything down to modifying registry things no sane person would touch.

My best advise is scrap it. Back up and clean 10 reinstall.

Jarrod

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2272 Previous topic | Next topic