Subject: "My world is shaken. There is no creativity." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2089
Show all folders

TMNSMon 17-Oct-11 03:29 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2089, "My world is shaken. There is no creativity."

So, I just found out that two of my favorite book trilogies basically stole a lot of their names/ideas from a British comic book in the 60s.

Dammit. For reference, I'm talking about the Coldfire trilogy (Gerald Terrant aka the Hunter is the main character) and the Millennium trilogy (basically, Lisbeth Salander is nearly a carbon copy of this Modesty Blaise character).

Woe is Sam's imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesty_Blaise

God dammit!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TsunamiMon 17-Oct-11 11:29 AM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2091, "Who cares?"
In response to Reply #0

Also, while it has been quite a while since I read the Coldfire... I would pin the other guy as the main character. Damien something? Man, I might pick it back up again just because I remember it being so good. I've got a thing for the "bible and a gun" type characters though, so maybe Damien just stood out to me more.

TMNSMon 17-Oct-11 01:59 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#2092, "For the first novel you're right. "
In response to Reply #2

Damien Vryce was the name, if I remember correctly.

However, once you got into the second two books and realized that Tarrant was the Prophet and the dude who started the whole religion, you can basically make the assumption that although he didn't get the most "air-play" in the books, he was by far the main character (that and the fact he was on those badass Brom covers for the books).

Just kinda interesting to me. I wonder if C.S. Friedman or Stieg Larsson read those comics/books and inadvertantly used names/character ideas without even conciously knowing it.

TsunamiMon 17-Oct-11 02:22 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#2093, "Ah, now that you say it."
In response to Reply #3

I do kind of remember all that.

LhydiaMon 17-Oct-11 09:43 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2379 posts
#2090, "Coldfire trilogy was awesome. n/t"
In response to Reply #0

gr

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2089 Previous topic | Next topic