Subject: "Good start to learn coding..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2040
Show all folders

OnewingedangelWed 19-Jan-11 09:38 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2040, "Good start to learn coding..."

I've been wanting to learn to code for a few years...but I haven't really had the time, as I'm only 19 now. I was thinking about trying to learn on my own for now, some basics, and I was wondering, would learning basic HTML help a bit? I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EskelianMon 01-Aug-11 12:25 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2084, "RE: Good start to learn coding..."
In response to Reply #0

Don't start with HTML - it is a markup/layout language not a programming language. Start with C/C++.

IsildurThu 20-Jan-11 07:14 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#2044, "RE: Good start to learn coding..."
In response to Reply #0

Unlike Tac I wouldn't say the language and platform are irrelevant. Learning anything is a time investment and you don't want to invest time into something with very limited value going forward.

You need to figure out what kinds of projects you eventually want to be working on, then choose your miniature "self education" project accordingly.

If you want to create something other people might actually use while picking up employable skills then I might suggest doing a Java/Android or ObjectiveC/iPhone smart phone app. There are books available that walk you through the process.

I would also point out that much of what makes someone a good developer has nothing to do with knowing a particular language or SDK. Object-oriented methodology and design, data structures, algorithmic analysis, memory management (esp. in garbage collected languages where it tends to get ignored), etc.

OnewingedangelFri 21-Jan-11 11:35 AM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
#2045, "RE: Good start to learn coding..."
In response to Reply #2

How about something regarding a MUD? One of my neighbors used to really be into mudding, and he knew how to code, but he never had the time to teach me, and now it's a bit too late. I was always interested in what he did tell me, though. I wanted to, when I had more time and a more notable character, to try and Imm someday..I know it's not what most think, but I want to help out someday, and not have to bother about asking to learn, especially since it'll be hard to teach me over the MUD. I'm expecting this to be a large time investment, but I feel it's for a greater cause, for me to have more knowledge, and possibly help out the current or even future Imms who are only a few who have to do it all. I know not everything goes as planned, I may not ever be able to help out or something, but hey, it's still something I'd like to learn.

Thanks for all the advice, though I already had something specific in mind, guess I should've mentioned it before.

TacThu 20-Jan-11 10:07 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#2043, "Best advice I've ever heard on learning programming...."
In response to Reply #0

Find a project that interests you. The language doesn't matter, the platform doesn't matter, none of that means anything so long as you find an application that you want and will be personally useful for you. Learn to code that. Rinse, Repeat.

I'm sure the original way I heard it was better stated, but this is what I remember, so it is what you get. If you want your own website, then HTML might be a good fit, but if you aren't interested in investing serious time in having a cool website (obviously it will start simple) then do something else.

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #2040 Previous topic | Next topic