Subject: "For the US military OEF/OIF Vets" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1879
Show all folders

JavaTue 09-Dec-08 04:20 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1879, "For the US military OEF/OIF Vets"

I posted this on that "other" board yesterday, but it occured to me that there might be a few folks here that might be interested but don't frequent that other place. So here ya go:

There's this program, paid for by the Sierra Club and run by Outward Bound, where basically they pay for an entire vacation, for you to enjoy some sort of a wilderness excursion. There's probably 10 different programs, and they all run through most of the year.

I spent last week backpacking/rock climbing at the Joshua Tree National Park through there. Exhausting as hell, but it was definitely an experience worth it. They pay for literally everything. Including airfare and a hotel the night before and after the trip. If you're a US OEF/OIF Veteran, you should really consider it. It is military vets only, so you can't bring any family or buddies.. but it's a pretty fun time regardless.

Don't be put off if they say that the program is full when you apply, they did that for me too. They'll put you on a wait list, and since something like 80% of people on the trips are from the wait list, you have a good chance of going anyways.

Let me know if you want any more details.

The website is: http://www.outwardbound.org/index.cfm/do/cp.veterans

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

LyristeonWed 10-Dec-08 10:16 AM
Member since 02nd Jan 2004
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1880, "RE: For the US military OEF/OIF Vets"
In response to Reply #0

After spending a year stationed at 29 Palms, I think I will stay away from Joshua Tree. I remember the party I didn't go to that got a lot of Marines in trouble for the damage to that park back in 1985.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1879 Previous topic | Next topic