Subject: "Issue with Zmud" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1779
Show all folders

RayihnTue 13-May-08 07:22 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1779, "Issue with Zmud"

Hoping someone will have a suggestion here because this is driving me crazy. Lately, zmud will time me out if I don't have enough text coming through on my screen. Sometimes, it'll time me out after only 2 minutes. I don't tend to be constantly entering commands when I'm on, so this is pretty much happening to me constantly. It doesn't just time me out, it stops accepting text and basically just hangs instead of disconnecting me. Has anyone had this problem and if so how do you fix it??

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I've had similar, Odrirg, 13-May-08 03:43 PM, #4
Reply Vista+zmud, Dave, 13-May-08 06:21 PM, #10
Reply I think there must be another issue, Mekantos, 14-May-08 02:11 AM, #13
     Reply I ran Zmud on Vista and, Stunna, 14-May-08 08:17 AM, #16
     Reply RE: I think there must be another issue, Isildur, 14-May-08 08:57 AM, #17
          Reply Pardon me, 2007., Mekantos, 16-May-08 12:00 AM, #24
Reply I've had this too! Frustrating! n/t, Stunna, 14-May-08 08:14 AM, #15
Reply Dude, I really hope this isn't the same problem I had....., TheLastMohican, 14-May-08 11:12 PM, #21
Reply RE: Issue with Zmud, Isildur, 13-May-08 08:16 AM, #1
     Reply Roadrunner, Rayihn, 13-May-08 01:26 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Roadrunner, Isildur, 13-May-08 03:27 PM, #3
               Reply RE: Roadrunner, Isildur, 13-May-08 04:15 PM, #5
                    Reply Infamously, he uses telnet to pk, Rayihn, 13-May-08 05:00 PM, #6
                         Reply None of my dealings with zuggsoft have been good..., Stunna, 13-May-08 05:33 PM, #7
                         Reply Dude, Dwoggurd, 13-May-08 06:04 PM, #9
                         Reply RE: Dude, Isildur, 13-May-08 08:37 PM, #11
                              Reply Exactly, it's the principle, Stunna, 14-May-08 08:13 AM, #14
                                   Reply I find it hard to believe, Dwoggurd, 14-May-08 09:18 AM, #18
                                        Reply Jerk, Stunna, 14-May-08 02:42 PM, #19
                                             Reply I still find it hard to believe, Dwoggurd, 14-May-08 03:01 PM, #20
                                                  Reply Hey, I'm just sharing my experience, Stunna, 15-May-08 09:47 AM, #22
                                                       Reply Perhaps it was a miscommunication?, DurNominator, 19-May-08 12:02 AM, #25
                         Reply Hrmm Hrmm, Super please?!, Seilclavin, 15-May-08 08:19 PM, #23
                         Reply RE: Infamously, he uses telnet to pk, Isildur, 13-May-08 05:49 PM, #8
                         Reply found my problem, at least, Isildur, 13-May-08 09:07 PM, #12
                              Reply RE: found my problem, at least, Daevryn, 20-May-08 08:54 AM, #26
                                   Reply RE: found my problem, at least, Isildur, 20-May-08 08:06 PM, #28
                         Reply RE: Infamously, he uses telnet to pk, Eskelian, 20-May-08 11:16 AM, #27

OdrirgTue 13-May-08 03:43 PM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1783, "I've had similar"
In response to Reply #0

I too have roadrunner, but my problem isn't about timing out.

a couple times a login, text will stop scrolling in zmud. I think if I enter commands cf gets them but I don't see the commands or anything else.

I have to shut down and restart zmud, and I get some sort of weird error.

I figured my problem was a vista+zmud problem.

DaveTue 13-May-08 06:21 PM
Member since 15th Aug 2007
34 posts
#1789, "Vista+zmud"
In response to Reply #4

From what I've read on the zmud website, zmud doesn't bode well will vista. That is why they made Cmud.

MekantosWed 14-May-08 02:11 AM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1792, "I think there must be another issue"
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Wed 14-May-08 02:11 AM

I ran zMUD on my vista machine and never had anything freakish like that happen. Not just once or twice, mind you, but for a couple years.

Edited to add:

Of course, I build mine from parts. I don't like all the crap software packages that come with pre-builts.

StunnaWed 14-May-08 08:17 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1795, "I ran Zmud on Vista and"
In response to Reply #13

I had no problems with the two interfacing. I did have trouble figuring out how to do certain things within Zmud, and when I asked for support on building alias/triggers etc. I was told that (even though I'd purchased Zmud just a few days prior) that I could not have support because I was using Vista. Never mind that the issue had nothing to do with Vista...

So I bought Cmud and, as previously mentioned, they charged me twice for it and wouldn't refund my money because it was after 30 days.

I'm not a big zmud fan anymore.

IsildurWed 14-May-08 08:57 AM
5969 posts
#1796, "RE: I think there must be another issue"
In response to Reply #13

Uh. Has Vista even been out for "a couple years"?

MekantosFri 16-May-08 12:00 AM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1803, "Pardon me, 2007."
In response to Reply #17

Forgive me o' Lord of Factual Accuracy.

StunnaWed 14-May-08 08:14 AM
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1794, "I've had this too! Frustrating! n/t"
In response to Reply #4

asdf

TheLastMohicanWed 14-May-08 11:12 PM
Member since 25th Oct 2005
342 posts
#1800, "Dude, I really hope this isn't the same problem I had....."
In response to Reply #4

Because, honestly, the solution was soooooooooooooo ####ing easy that when I figured it out, I immediately kicked a puppy (I don't really have a puppy, so, yeah...).

There is command/button/whatever, that if you hit or click it or whatever, it was give you a blank ZMUD screen. You then will type stuff, and you won't see any text scroll or any type of knowledge that you even typed what you just did. It will seem buggy as ####, and closing and reopening ZMUD will not fix it.

But if you find whatever it is that you hit (BTW, is it obvious I haven't had ZMUD for 3 years?) you can just hit it again and everything will be fixed.

IsildurTue 13-May-08 08:16 AM
5969 posts
#1780, "RE: Issue with Zmud"
In response to Reply #0

I've had that problem, and I don't use Zmud. I think it may be something my ISP is doing, or possibly my DSL modem. There's no reason a TCP connection shouldn't be able to stay open indefinitely.

Do you have AT&T/SBC/Yahoo DSL?

RayihnTue 13-May-08 01:26 PM
1147 posts
#1781, "Roadrunner"
In response to Reply #1

Though we did get a new cable modem recently...might be the culprit. Doesn't affect my 'roomie' though...

IsildurTue 13-May-08 03:27 PM
5969 posts
#1782, "RE: Roadrunner"
In response to Reply #2

Hmm. I used to have Roadrunner before switching to DSL, and never noticed it back then. That was over a year ago, though. Either it's some annoying thing that both SBC and Roadrunner are doing, or it's something between your box and CF. Or possibly an OS setting on the box CF runs on. Though, I doubt that's changed recently. Maybe the hosting service CF uses decided to start terminating inactive TCP connections for security purposes?

I'll try it from work with a throwaway lowbie and see if I get the same behavior. If so, then it's probably not anything related to our respective ISPs. Will try to narrow down what the exact inactivity threshold is too.

IsildurTue 13-May-08 04:15 PM
5969 posts
#1784, "RE: Roadrunner"
In response to Reply #3

Just tested it from work. I can send nothing for 500 seconds (i.e. long enough to void) and still "come back" after that delay when I send some text.

Will try again when I get home.

btw, does roomie also use Zmud? If you share the same internet connection and one of you experiences the problem but not the other, then it's probably client related after all.

RayihnTue 13-May-08 05:00 PM
1147 posts
#1785, "Infamously, he uses telnet to pk"
In response to Reply #5

So maybe it is client related...I'm sure if I email zuggsoft about the problem they'll try and pimp me some Cmud. Le sigh!

StunnaTue 13-May-08 05:33 PM
1048 posts
#1786, "None of my dealings with zuggsoft have been good..."
In response to Reply #6

Over the years they've always had a way to weasel out of giving me any real support.

When I bought Cmud they charged my card twice... I didn't notice for 30 days, and they wouldn't refund my money.

I basically told them that if they wanted to screw me out of $20 bucks, and lose me as a lifetime customer, fine. They said it was their policy not to do refunds after 30 days.

I said "OK" and now (if I were to be mudding) I'd use wintin.

DwoggurdTue 13-May-08 06:04 PM
Member since 20th Jan 2004
668 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1788, "Dude"
In response to Reply #7

They need money to live.
Just think how many CMUD copies they should sell each month to make some adequate profit. And then think how many copies people will buy cosidering that muds become less popular.
Be lucky that they at least do something and sell for a low price (it is not like you need to pay 30$ every day).

IsildurTue 13-May-08 08:37 PM
5969 posts
#1790, "RE: Dude"
In response to Reply #9

Just to be clear, you're trying to justify them stealing $30 from him. He bought one license. They charged him for two. That's not okay, even if they're having a tough time financially.

StunnaWed 14-May-08 08:13 AM
1048 posts
#1793, "Exactly, it's the principle"
In response to Reply #11

Doesn't matter if it's $3, or $3,000 - the fact that they overcharged and wouldn't refund the money says something about them as a company. Says something about them as people too.

DwoggurdWed 14-May-08 09:16 AM
668 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1797, "I find it hard to believe"
In response to Reply #14
Edited on Wed 14-May-08 09:18 AM

That they charged you twice AND refused to refund.
I just find it hard to believe.
More likely there are other circumstances or you are just lying about them.

P.S. And when I paid for my CMUD copy they charged me only once, so I don't have to use tintin/wintin to annoy them

StunnaWed 14-May-08 02:42 PM
1048 posts
#1798, "Jerk"
In response to Reply #18

I said there reasoning that it was after 30 days that I was notifying them.

DwoggurdWed 14-May-08 03:01 PM
668 posts
#1799, "I still find it hard to believe"
In response to Reply #19

30 days is a period for a product full refund, not for a double credit card charge. If they took your money by mistake they must return them regadless when you notified them, 30 days later or a year later.
Maybe you just tried to trick them by buying CMUD, using it for a month and then asking for refund?

Anyway, I highly doubt that they would steal money from credit cards AND not return them even when caught.

StunnaThu 15-May-08 09:47 AM
1048 posts
#1801, "Hey, I'm just sharing my experience"
In response to Reply #20

you buy their crap if you want.

DurNominatorMon 19-May-08 12:02 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1804, "Perhaps it was a miscommunication?"
In response to Reply #22

It's Americans bombing Chinese embassy stupid not to return an accidental double payment. Maybe the person there mistook it for a regular refund?

SeilclavinThu 15-May-08 08:19 PM
Member since 07th Nov 2005
43 posts
#1802, "Hrmm Hrmm, Super please?!"
In response to Reply #7

Well depending on your credit company you may be able to go through them for a double charge. Visa Mastercard and my Fav Amex will back you 100%. Some bankcards will even help.

Tell them the situation, tell them you need a solution to the problem,
and Ta Da.

Working in a Customer Service field myself and dealing with Complaints I'm really floored that they'd take that stance.

Do like I do, be nice, throw them some Honey, and say in a flu flu bunney Voice.

Let. Me. Speak. To. Your. Supervisor.
Just keep going that route till you hit the 12 year kid who made Zmud in the first place...

IsildurTue 13-May-08 05:49 PM
5969 posts
#1787, "RE: Infamously, he uses telnet to pk"
In response to Reply #6

Try logging on using telnet (w/ your imm account, so you don't...you know...die or anything) and see if you can make the same thing happen. You'll have to use a wall clock to count time between entering commands.

You should be able to (at least) go 300s between commands and not void. So maybe try that in Zmud and see if the connection craps out, then try the same thing in telnet.

When I get home, I'm going to see if I can pinpoint the inactivity threshold at which my connection craps out. Will let you know.

IsildurTue 13-May-08 09:07 PM
5969 posts
#1791, "found my problem, at least"
In response to Reply #8

Looks like my timeouts were caused by how I had my router configured. I set the "max connections" and "inactivity timeout" settings to the recommended values for P2P use. That is to say a higher number of allowed connections (4096 instead of 512) and a shorter timeout (120s vs. 3600s).

That may not be your problem, since apparently you see the connection problems and roomie doesn't. Though, if he's playing mortals, maybe he just never reaches the required level of inactivity for the connection to be severed?

DaevrynTue 20-May-08 08:54 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#1806, "RE: found my problem, at least"
In response to Reply #12

Note: For anyone not paying quite enough attention, I'm the infamous roommate.

Doesn't seem like our router has configuration options like that. Granted, it's several years old at this point.

It does turn out that I get disconnected a lot as well -- not the most fun when you're reading two billion role chapters for a contest.

IsildurTue 20-May-08 08:06 PM
5969 posts
#1808, "RE: found my problem, at least"
In response to Reply #26

Mine isn't especially common. Linksys with non-stork (DD-WRT) firmware. In DD-WRT, the settings are at:

Administration -> Management -> IP Filter Settings

EskelianTue 20-May-08 11:16 AM
2023 posts
#1807, "RE: Infamously, he uses telnet to pk"
In response to Reply #6

Have the hubby monitor it with netstat and figure out if the connection itself is dropping or what. You can check with a telnet client to see if its a client situation or networking thing.

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1779 Previous topic | Next topic