Subject: "Scientists create Minotaurs!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1722
Show all folders

TJHuronWed 02-Apr-08 11:35 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1722, "Scientists create Minotaurs!"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23921668/wid/11915773?GT1=31037

Next up.... Arials!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DurNominatorTue 08-Apr-08 12:16 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1731, "Arials are next in turn indeed"
In response to Reply #0

Bob the lab janitor was bitten by a radioactive parrot and next thing we know, the first arial of the World had emerged.

GinGaMon 07-Apr-08 10:23 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1725, "The last segment of that article."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 07-Apr-08 10:24 AM

Bush really needs to ease up on the embryonic research. It makes me really itch when it comes up. There's a lot more that needs to be done and it's shooting science in the foot to rule out a whole nation of scientists from helping out in the later stages. If the US doesn't pick up soon, it runs a serious risk of falling far behind in these technologies - and when a final and practical use is finally made, such as developing 100% compatable replacement organs or anti-cancer treatments that focus on the cancer's stem cells instead of nuking entire tissues, then they'll be behind on that too.

Letting naive, right-leaning republicans rule does this. The fact is that the US has already made cross-species splices and chimeras - whatever sin against god they fear is pretty much already walking around going 'baa'. I don't know how they can highlight scary things like 'minotaurs' when there's such a huge possibility of profit involved in allowing them. I mean real money! Isn't that what drives those guys?

It makes me want to wave a finger at any of them that needed an organ transplant and scream 'DEMON! You have taken anothers flesh that you might live!!'. We should go picket them on how chimeric humans must be devils too. It's basically the same damn thing.

TJHuronWed 09-Apr-08 12:57 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1737, "RE: The last segment of that article."
In response to Reply #1

I somewhat agree. I see the whole religion side (being Catholic) as well. However, it seems to me from this article that they are technically destroying cow embryo's to make these stem cells not human? Only human DNA is being used. I don't know, not a scientist. But, I had thought that I read another place that they had found alternative methods (like this) to creating stem cells that don't require the destruction of human embryos. If that is true then it should make a compromise suitable for both sides, and any whining beyond it is just a bunch of asses wearing blinders. And they do use these chimeras for lots of other stuff. I saw a deal on the science channel where they crossed goats with spider DNA so the goat milk produced the same protein that spiders use to make spider silk allowing them to extract the protein and duplicate the strongest material on earth.

EskelianThu 10-Apr-08 07:35 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1740, "RE: The last segment of that article."
In response to Reply #1

The Republican party has typically attracted fiscally conservative capitalists as well as religious conservatives. They're not the same thing. You'll note a lot of Americans consider themselves fiscally conservative capitalists without being part of the religious right. That being said, the religious right is a very powerful voting force in America.

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1722 Previous topic | Next topic