Subject: "Gygax is no more." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1695
Show all folders

QuixoticTue 04-Mar-08 03:25 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
829 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1695, "Gygax is no more."

For those of us who started out with the beloved boxed sets and fell in love with the various editions of AD&D, our patron saint of the RPGs is no more. Gary Gygax, through his games and those games influenced highly by his creative efforts, is to blame for thousands of hours and hundreds of dollars just in my personal decades touched by his vision.

Thank you, Mr Gygax, for sparking the imagination of millions and inviting me into that magical world of "What if".

obituary

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BajulaWed 05-Mar-08 01:53 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
929 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1696, "RE: Gygax is no more."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Wed 05-Mar-08 01:57 AM

ouch, I JUST started my grandkids playing the old red box set of basic
b3 the palace of the silver princess and then we'll go into b2 the keep on the borderlands (my first module, and most of the people I got started playing I ran them through it first, but hey my granddaughter has the typical little girl thing about princesses so...
b3 it is!)

I hadn't thought about it in years, and the kids found my collection of gaming stuff.
{yes the ubergeek collection, some of the most obscure systems around haha. including (sadly only a xerox after a battle over who would gain custody) a copy of the original bunnies and burrow by flying buffalo. That whole gurps thing is sad if you ever get your hands on the old one grab it; simple, well written, and just loads of fun.} So they asked.. the answer was met with 'You mean like diablo?'
Heh. I only await the teachers bringing me the report of what I did over summer vacation and it reads like a high fantasy short story.

It's more than a little sad to me when you consider all of the games people play today that kind of evolved out of those early concepts they had way back in the day. People may scoff at the old-time gamers, but seriously take old-school d&d out of the timeline and look at what would be different. I'm not saying that umpteen billion dollars and about as many man hours playing games is the most productive use of time, but then again... screw production. Hah!
I'm not in it to have a bunch of stuff that I don't need and costs too much so I can impress my neighbors. I'm in it to enjoy what little time I have on this planet. Good old fashioned pen and paper rpg's are a blast.

For the death thread:
Thanks Gary, good to hear you were playing damn near to the end, good for you! If they have dice in whatever afterlife you eneded up in, roll me up something and save me a spot at the table, I'll play anything... maybe you believed in re-incarnation, in which case good luck with the next, go battle next time!

edited for what I think is a little better article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/arts/05gygax.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

IsildurThu 06-Mar-08 02:42 AM
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1697, "RE: Gygax is no more."
In response to Reply #1

Red box is D&D, not AD&D.

I'm not sure if I sold it, trashed it, or if it's still at my parents house somewhere, but I used to have 2nd printing (1978) version of the basic rules. Probably not worth anything, but it's funny to think that it's 30 years old.

BajulaThu 06-Mar-08 08:13 PM
929 posts
#1698, "RE: Gygax is no more."
In response to Reply #2

I don't think I once mentioned Ad&d in the above post...
??? yes the red box is old basic. and the blue box, and the
mutant turquois?? and black. hehe. rock on with the 78 man.
I'm pretty sure that's what this one is we are using now.
First time I played was in '79 ... kinda makes a fella feel
old don't it? *rofl*

IsildurFri 07-Mar-08 11:01 AM
5969 posts
#1699, "RE: Gygax is no more."
In response to Reply #3

If you want to feel old...I was 4 in 1979.

StunnaThu 13-Mar-08 01:43 PM
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1700, "I was -2, oldies n/t"
In response to Reply #4

sdf

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1695 Previous topic | Next topic