Subject: "Using Windows Vista" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1118
Show all folders

TorakSun 29-Apr-07 06:05 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1118, "Using Windows Vista"

Anyone got some feedback with using it? Not looking for the typical "it's bloated" or "MS sucks" type of arguement, just looking mostly for general use problems like "it won't load X software". I know I want to install it for DX10 (got the video card) but just curious the hiccups I might run into.

Thanks

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TwistTue 15-May-07 10:59 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1121, "Installation went smooth..."
In response to Reply #0

I was a tad scared about doing an upgrade (but had to, for work purposes) to Vista on my work laptop. I had this vision of my huge ridiculous amounts of email going bye bye. But the upgrade went very smoothly.

Until I wanted my address book. It was *there* but wouldn't import. I ended up importing it into like three different other email programs to eventually export as something that I could import.

Then there were all the problems with Microsoft Office - basically it was running fine (the 2000 version) but Vista would not "see" some of the required files. I ended up having to copy a bunch of files from here to there from that directory to this directory to make stuff work.

It also destroyed all of my various site-specific certificates (for logging into cert-protected websites) so I had to reimport them. Some of them still don't work exactly right, but good enough.

All in all I agree with Eskelian - it's been a pretty major PITA...but it seems to be working pretty good now.

Oh, and to install, it required 15 (FIFTEEN!) GB of free space. It doesn't actually USE that much space, but it won't install if you don't have it. Which is annoying on a laptop with 40GB.

EskelianMon 30-Apr-07 10:25 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1119, "RE: Using Windows Vista"
In response to Reply #0

Main issues I noticed was resource contention, domain isolation causing security issues in domain environments and a lot of legacy applications having UI issues.

EskelianTue 15-May-07 09:46 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
#1120, "RE: Using Windows Vista"
In response to Reply #1

Further, I found installing software to be a pain in the ass often. Quicken balked yet miracualously eventually installed, needed a special version of Cisco VPN, BitDefender seems to be running sluggish as ####, no doubt due to the security restrictions, printer wouldn't install, ultimate has no SMPT/POP server (wtf?), can't seem to chance the logon screen, etc.

Frankly, its a total pain in the ass.

Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #1118 Previous topic | Next topic