Subject: "(AGE DEATH) [BATTLE] Fodundleu the Harai Goshi" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #48006
Show all folders

Death_AngelSun 07-May-06 02:44 AM
Member since 18th Apr 2024
16789 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48006, "(AGE DEATH) [BATTLE] Fodundleu the Harai Goshi"

Sun May 7 02:40:14 2006

At 9 o'clock AM, Day of Deception, 2nd of the Month of the Spring
on the Theran calendar Fodundleu perished, never to return.

Race:human
Class:assassin
Level:37
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:64

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Speechless, Fodundleu (Guest), 07-May-06 01:34 PM, #2
Reply Did you wear the rings more than once?, bobbyp (Guest), 07-May-06 01:38 PM, #3
Reply Affects, Fodundleu (Guest), 07-May-06 01:48 PM, #5
     Reply But everytime you rewear the rings(after you die) more ..., shamanman, 10-May-06 03:03 PM, #20
          Reply This is incorrect., nepenthe, 10-May-06 05:23 PM, #21
               Reply Ah. Thanks Nep:-) nt, shamanman, 10-May-06 05:36 PM, #22
               Reply I could have sworn there was an announcement, bobbyp (Guest), 10-May-06 05:50 PM, #23
               Reply I remember differently., TheForsaken- (Guest), 10-May-06 06:56 PM, #25
                    Reply It is fairly easy to check, yourself., elmeri_, 12-May-06 06:06 AM, #26
Reply One thing to note:, shamanman, 07-May-06 01:46 PM, #4
Reply Not true., Marcus_, 08-May-06 03:49 AM, #17
Reply RE: Speechless, nepenthe, 07-May-06 03:38 PM, #6
     Reply Record?, Fodundleu (Guest), 07-May-06 04:17 PM, #7
          Reply And while I am at it, Fodundleu (Guest), 07-May-06 04:28 PM, #8
               Reply RE: And while I am at it, nepenthe, 07-May-06 05:39 PM, #9
                    Reply Aaaahhhhaa, Fodundleu (Guest), 07-May-06 06:08 PM, #10
                         Reply Question for Nepenthe, Lightmaged (Guest), 07-May-06 07:09 PM, #11
                         Reply RE: Question for Nepenthe, nepenthe, 07-May-06 07:47 PM, #12
                         Reply Oh, and:, nepenthe, 07-May-06 07:49 PM, #14
                         Reply Well, Cen_ (Guest), 09-May-06 12:23 PM, #19
                         Reply My thoughts on wither, Farigno, 08-May-06 12:42 AM, #16
                              Reply age vs killing, Fodundleu (Guest), 09-May-06 11:43 AM, #18
                                   Reply RE: age vs killing, Farigno, 10-May-06 06:38 PM, #24
                         Reply RE: Aaaahhhhaa, nepenthe, 07-May-06 07:49 PM, #13
                              Reply Thanks, Fodundleu (Guest), 07-May-06 08:03 PM, #15
Reply Whuh?, AA (Guest), 07-May-06 03:47 AM, #1

Fodundleu (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 01:34 PM

#48013, "Speechless"
In response to Reply #0

Fun character, twenty five years old + two rings + one age wither and the character is over. Got alot of thoughts on it, not gonna say anything cause I'm bias.

Had alot of fun with the Character, first real battle character. Thanks for the fights and such. Wish it could have been alloottttt loooonnnnggger!

bobbyp (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 01:38 PM

#48014, "Did you wear the rings more than once?"
In response to Reply #2

My understanding, is that each time you wear them it ages you a bit. Otherwise, this sounds like maybe wither spazzed out for a second, and you had a critical no-save.

Fodundleu (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 01:48 PM

#48016, "Affects"
In response to Reply #3

Not sure the affects, really not sure on the stats offhand. Somewhere in the neighborhood of like ten+ yrs each, and I was wearing two. As for permanent affects, don't quote me, but logically I had a base age of 25 no matter how many times I had worn them. My math might be majorly wrong. 25 (age base) + 25 (two rings roughly) + x (power of a wither). I aged died for good, at 64 hours of play, at roughly over 50yrs old. Hrm... And I thought rot was powerful.

shamanmanWed 10-May-06 03:03 PM
Member since 05th Jul 2004
244 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#48089, "But everytime you rewear the rings(after you die) more ..."
In response to Reply #5

f

nepentheWed 10-May-06 05:23 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48090, "This is incorrect."
In response to Reply #20

Or rather, you re-age when you re-wear the age gear, but you de-age when you remove it (i.e., die.)

You don't go back age categories if you've pushed into middle age, old, etc. but the age goes back down.

shamanmanWed 10-May-06 05:36 PM
244 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#48091, "Ah. Thanks Nep:-) nt"
In response to Reply #21

f

bobbyp (Guest)Wed 10-May-06 05:50 PM

#48092, "I could have sworn there was an announcement"
In response to Reply #21

That age gear would permanently age you if worn.

TheForsaken- (Guest)Wed 10-May-06 06:56 PM

#48094, "I remember differently."
In response to Reply #21

Could you check it? Because I remember it being changed to when you wear a +age item, it throws it on EACH TIME you wear it. However, the -age items only go into effect when you die while wearing it. I wouldn't mind if you verified this topic, not that I've ever had issues with it.

elmeri_Fri 12-May-06 06:06 AM
Member since 13th Dec 2004
252 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48117, "It is fairly easy to check, yourself."
In response to Reply #25

sc
check age (years, not hours)
wear 'age item'
sc
rem 'age item'
sc

And you will see that the years in your score go up and down. Now, if the item affects age by 10, it will give you 10 years. For an arial or human or some other young race this is huge, at the most 10 years would be roughly 100 hours of game time for a human. For an elf instead, 10 years would be more like 8 hours of game time lost pre age death. I would imagine the same applies for wither. Solution: if you want a long lived charachter, play an elf.

shamanmanSun 07-May-06 01:46 PM
244 posts
#48015, "One thing to note:"
In response to Reply #2

My current character killed you two times with said rings. Everytime you rewear +age gear, the affect stacks..so if you died 6 times with those rings..thats like 12 times of +age goodness.

Marcus_Mon 08-May-06 03:49 AM
681 posts
#48041, "Not true."
In response to Reply #4

+age affect from items don't become permanent... It's all about the wither (and the +age he was wearing when he died)

nepentheSun 07-May-06 03:38 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48019, "RE: Speechless"
In response to Reply #2

It was a lot more than one age wither, if you're curious. You might even hold the lifetime CF record for eating age wither.

Fodundleu (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 04:17 PM

#48020, "Record?"
In response to Reply #6

I had only be in the shaman's pk range for not even a week, so if I was withered 10 times from him in those encounters, how could I be so lucky? Seems like something odd, I mean, even with the two rings, it still seems very unbalanced somehow. Guess I'm just greedy and wanted more from three days of my life I lost to this character.

Fodundleu (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 04:28 PM

#48021, "And while I am at it"
In response to Reply #7

For the record, I assume that my displayed age of twenty five doesn't change when things affect my age? Such to say, if there is a predetermined age for my death, a destiny of sorts, that these age factors reduce that number, not increase my current age? I have the log, I was fourty one before the fight on my score sheet. Of which it shows me at 67 hours and the board shows me at 64. Alot of things don't add up for me, maybe I'm missing variables or just the order of addition.

nepentheSun 07-May-06 05:39 PM
3430 posts
#48022, "RE: And while I am at it"
In response to Reply #8

>For the record, I assume that my displayed age of twenty five
>doesn't change when things affect my age? Such to say, if
>there is a predetermined age for my death, a destiny of sorts,
>that these age factors reduce that number, not increase my
>current age?

That's all correct, at least with respect to wither and similar effects. I'm not sure about +age gear.

Fodundleu (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 06:08 PM

#48023, "Aaaahhhhaa"
In response to Reply #9

I have calmed down quite a bit. I appreciate the affirmation. I never should have called the first reply speechless. One last thing. I have looked through the logs I have(which are not a complete record), and this was the second age wither I was able to confirm. So let me run somthing by you. I am assuming my predetermined age was in the sixties. I also assume this eq only hits you on the bottom and not the top, since my score sheet displays 41 as my age just prior to the fight wearing the rings. So I can only assume the difference between the two split per wither. Breaks down roughly at 5 - 10 yrs per age wither. Hrm... Am I that far off?

ps Humans and other shallow aged characters beware.

Lightmaged (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 07:09 PM

#48024, "Question for Nepenthe"
In response to Reply #10

Why is wither age affect even a part of the game? It has no PK advantage once the person has been afflicted with strength loss...

Why make a skill that permanently kills a char? All the work developing a role, getting in a cabal...and start working away...can get wiped out. I think this age thing should be removed.

I never said anything before but there was a pretty tough Outlander warrior a while back that also got shafted like this.

Its almost the same thing as having Kansetsuwaza permanently weakening ones wrists after they have had it applied a dozen or so times. Maybe someone cant dual wield anylonger or hold a shield...

Get rid of it!!

nepentheSun 07-May-06 07:47 PM
3430 posts
#48025, "RE: Question for Nepenthe"
In response to Reply #11

It's something we'll probably look at if/when shamans see at least a medium revamp.

Generally, you have to extremely neglect your saving throws to lose age to wither. I honestly assume, and no offense intended to Fodundleu, that he must have been running into half those fights without even endure and spellbane up.

nepentheSun 07-May-06 07:49 PM
3430 posts
#48027, "Oh, and:"
In response to Reply #12

There's at least one item in the game that can help out with this whole issue, though it's not Battle-friendly.

Cen_ (Guest)Tue 09-May-06 12:23 PM

#48076, "Well"
In response to Reply #12

It can still happen. What pushed dulmisa over the edge were a wither and I'm pretty sure she had divine saves at the moment. If you get withered a lot stuff like that happens and it strikes kinda hard against newbies.

You should just remove it

FarignoMon 08-May-06 12:42 AM
Member since 11th Apr 2006
53 posts
#48035, "My thoughts on wither"
In response to Reply #11

There are times when you fight against people who you know are going to age die, rather than con die. A good example would be many assassins who lean towards assassinating rather than fighting. A combat tactic with these people when playing a shaman is to go for the wither to discourage assassination attempts. There needs to be some risk involved in an assassination attempt, and with a quality player behind the assassin, there is virtually no risk in going after a shaman. Shaman need some way to discourage assassination attempts by adding a bit of risk to the attempt.

My trying to kill them by going after their age is no different then them going after my con to try and get rid of me. Admittedly, I think everyone can agree it's best if people don't die off at 70 hours, but that is far from common. I would be interested to hear why you think it is worse to age someone than to kill them.

"Its almost the same thing as having Kansetsuwaza permanently weakening ones wrists after they have had it applied a dozen or so times. Maybe someone cant dual wield anylonger or hold a shield..."

In reality, it's exactly like permanently taking away a portion of someone's con when you kill them. You might make the argument that you actually have to kill someone to take away con, rather than land just one skill. Both assassinate and power word kill do that though, and I would wager the saving throw for killing someone on a power word kill is somewhat similar to the saving throw for getting aged by wither.

Just my 2 cents.

Fodundleu (Guest)Tue 09-May-06 11:43 AM

#48075, "age vs killing"
In response to Reply #16

I appologize up front for this, but I can't see how you derive your thoughts. Your entire stance is if nothing less than onesided and insulting. Just for starts. 20 con = 51 deaths(+/-) compared to 60-65yrs age death = 5-10 age withers. You have to kill someone nearly ten times to be as effective as each age wither. Now I know there are alot of different factors, and this life expectancy might be shorter or the shortest.

Comparitively you are way off. Your entire thought of wither being defensive in this way is rediculous. If you want to be a shaman and not be assassinated, try being more aware or perhaps try a duergar. But don't ruin entire races out of fear. Age wither brings nothing to the game. It destroyed all the time and effort I gave to the game in developing my character, training my character, and attempting to establisth RP. Player effort pissed away makes it hard to consider this a game worth the effort. Just my view.

I appreciate the overwhelming effort made to keep this game going. I spend a great deal of time here in this little world. Thanks again.

FarignoWed 10-May-06 06:38 PM
Member since 11th Apr 2006
53 posts
#48093, "RE: age vs killing"
In response to Reply #18

As I said "Admittedly, I think everyone can agree it's best if people don't die off at 70 hours." I would say one or two exceptions such as you happen every year, and I would be all for putting in a minimum on hours before age death, somewhere around 200, give or take. Basically, a lot of things went horribly wrong for you to be age dead at 70 hours, including your race, which is hurt far more by wither than most others.

I was not making an argument for wither that really pertained to you, and I apologize for getting off-track on your graveyard post. When you look at history, your are by far the exception, rather than the rule. My post was more directed towards fighting people with 500-700 hours. Just look at it as if the RNG really kicked you in the nuts, brush yourself off, and good luck with the next. If you had fun with the 70 hours you put into that character, which is obvious from your post, then it was not wasted time.

nepentheSun 07-May-06 07:49 PM
3430 posts
#48026, "RE: Aaaahhhhaa"
In response to Reply #10

>Hrm... Am I that far
>off?

I can confirm at least 5 age withers on your character, most of which were very unluckily strong.

It sucks to go out the way you did, but in all honesty it's the exception and not the rule. Most characters, even those that often fight shamans, never lose age to a wither.

Fodundleu (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 08:03 PM

#48028, "Thanks"
In response to Reply #13

I appreciate the attention you have given this. The permanent death of my character or Skryth or any character due in part from repeated combative sitations with a single enemy or class of enemies is outrageous. Thanks for the attention. I hope you fix this.

AA (Guest)Sun 07-May-06 03:47 AM

#48008, "Whuh?"
In response to Reply #0

I confuse. Did he wield that sword?

Or get withered a lot?

Or was it a combination of many things?

I need answers

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #48006 Previous topic | Next topic