Subject: "CF's Rules have been updated and streamlined." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #551
Show all folders

ValguarneraThu 10-Feb-05 07:31 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#551, "CF's Rules have been updated and streamlined."

The primary goals of our rules revision are:

1) Make the rules shorter.
2) Make the rules more accurate as written.
3) Make the rules clear.

I don't foresee any significant change in how the rules are enforced in practice. This is mostly to make it easier for newer players to digest what was previously a mouthful.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply The new rules helpfile (also available in sidebar, in g..., Valguarnera, 10-Feb-05 07:33 PM, #1
     Reply RE: The new rules helpfile (also available in sidebar, ..., Straklaw, 11-Feb-05 08:41 AM, #2
     Reply RE: The new rules helpfile (also available in sidebar, ..., Valguarnera, 11-Feb-05 08:44 AM, #4
          Reply I used to say stuff like, incognito, 11-Feb-05 12:54 PM, #5
          Reply long sidetrack on passing in-game knowledge between cha..., Trouble, 14-Feb-05 10:55 AM, #6
               Reply Have to draw the line somewhere though, incognito, 14-Feb-05 01:07 PM, #7
               Reply RE: long sidetrack on passing in-game knowledge between..., Java, 15-Feb-05 10:59 AM, #8
               Reply A little late to the party, Theerkla, 10-Jul-05 10:06 AM, #9
     Reply *rofl* I was just complained to about this.., Bajula, 11-Feb-05 08:41 AM, #3

ValguarneraThu 10-Feb-05 07:33 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#552, "The new rules helpfile (also available in sidebar, in g..."
In response to Reply #0

Breaking any of these rules may result in loss of equipment, deaths, deletion, and/or other consequences, at the discretion of the staff. If a term is in all capital letters, it refers to a more detailed helpfile, e.g. 'help roleplaying'. If you are in doubt as to the legality of an action, please pray and ask first.

* ROLEPLAYING is required. All communication between characters is In
Character (IC), including TELLs, NOTEs, etc. See also OOC.

* Do not exploit Out-of-Character (OOC) mechanisms to create an advantage in the game. This includes cutting link or quitting to avoid consequences.

* Do not give, share, or trade characters or PASSWORDs to other players. Each character must have only one player from birth until death.

* Using automation to play for you is not permitted. See BOTTING.

* You may only have one character logged in at any given time.

* If you have multiple characters, they therefore cannot meet, and will have no knowledge of one another. Your characters cannot be family relations, recommend one another for cabals, etc. See MULTI-CHARRING.

* Do not transfer items or money between your characters.

* If you know another player OOC, treat their character as you would any other. This disallows having multiple characters 'attached at the hip'. See PERMAGROUP.

* If you spot a BUG, please notify the staff immediately, and do not exploit it.

* Offensive language is prohibited or discouraged, depending on use. See LANGUAGE for details. Sexual harassment is not tolerated.

* Do not SPAM.

* Do not advertise or otherwise mention other games.

* Characters created strictly to annoy others will be removed.

* If a staff member makes a decision regarding rules or gameplay (in person or otherwise), you are expected to comply with it.

* If you are aware of cheating, please report it to the staff via NOTE, email (see ADMIN), and/or PRAY.

StraklawFri 11-Feb-05 01:52 AM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#553, "RE: The new rules helpfile (also available in sidebar, ..."
In response to Reply #1

>* If you have multiple characters, they therefore cannot meet,
>and will have no knowledge of one another. Your characters
>cannot be family relations, recommend one another for cabals,
>etc. See MULTI-CHARRING.

This actually reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for like a year. Every so often I used to have other players comment about one of my characters while I was playing another. Now, to me, it always seemed like it might me a little odd if you were to respond along the lines of "Who? Never met him", especially if it's someone moderately noticable. Any Immortal comments about the "best handling" of said situation?

ValguarneraFri 11-Feb-05 08:44 AM
6904 posts
#555, "RE: The new rules helpfile (also available in sidebar, ..."
In response to Reply #2

If the other character doesn't have a particularly high profile, just pretend it's someone who has never logged on when you're around, or you never talked to.

"I don't really know Straklaw."

If the other character is high enough profile that you'd be expected to hear of them, maybe just make some generic comment, change the topic, etc. It's not that hard to do this without tipping people off. Immortals have to do it all the time when people mention their immortal character in front of one of their mortals.

incognitoFri 11-Feb-05 11:53 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#556, "I used to say stuff like"
In response to Reply #4

Oh, I think I might have met the old woman (or man, depending on char) when I was younger, but I can't remember it too well.

That sort of thing basically stops the conversation going any further into your new character's knowledge of the old one.

TroubleSun 13-Feb-05 03:26 PM
Member since 10th Nov 2003
208 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#563, "long sidetrack on passing in-game knowledge between cha..."
In response to Reply #4

>If the other character doesn't have a particularly high
>profile, just pretend it's someone who has never logged on
>when you're around, or you never talked to.

My comment perhaps takes this a bit further afield, but I've thought each character should act as if they have no 'in-game' knowledge that they themselves didn't directly acquire. For instance, the last one I played I acted like I had heard no more than rumors of each cabal until I had actually spoken to someone either in the cabal or it had come up in conversation (despite having played CF since its inception). This extended to knowledge about equipment, preps, etc.. (preps weren't hard to play ignorant about; it'd been a year since my last char and I've never used many of them).

What this extends to is the development of a whole class of players that use extensive in-game knowledge acquired from previous experience (particularly with regards to preps) and are very protective of that knowledge but use it freely themselves. I'm thinking in particular of folks who *plan* on playing an a/b/s invoker rather than playing an invoker who finds out about wands and staves through life experience in-game.

I realize this kind of playing (pretending ignorance) is very hard to pull off and hard to encourage and the only idea I've come up with so far would be a pain to implement I think: make preps that are not sold in stores unique to each character. Meaning, if I wander around and find that really cool staff after adventuring whatever that particular staff does only does that for me (might do something else to another character who found it) or its location occurs more randomly.

(reading this I realize its not very clear but the idea is that preps would be tagged to a particular character and other characters would either find nothing in the same spot or a prep that had a different effect on them)

The overall effect I'm striving for here is to reduce passage of in-game knowledge about where to find the very special things (and questy things) from one character to another simply because the same person plays them.

*dons asbestos underwear*
Flame on!
Trouble (just this old guy who's been here off and on forever it seems)

incognitoMon 14-Feb-05 12:46 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#566, "Have to draw the line somewhere though"
In response to Reply #6

Yes, it annoys me to hear a level 30 char saying he's going to do the XXXXX quest in an area that he couldn't possibly have looked around, because he'd die and not be able to return as a ghost.

On the other hand, I expect someone that used to be a pirate (role) to know how to find the sea from Galadon.

JavaMon 14-Feb-05 04:49 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#567, "RE: long sidetrack on passing in-game knowledge between..."
In response to Reply #6

You're forgetting about the all-important fun stick.

CF strives to be as realistic as possible, yet still be a fun game to play.

It is just a game, after all. The stuff you mentioned doesn't really hurt the atmosphere (assuming the person is still RPing), and doesn't cause other player's to stop having fun. So what's the reason to change it?

TheerklaSun 10-Jul-05 08:48 AM
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#661, "A little late to the party"
In response to Reply #6

What you are forgetting is your character doesn't start out of the womb. Most characters start as a young adult, so you can assume your character learned of many a thing prior to beginning adventuring.

BajulaFri 11-Feb-05 05:42 AM
929 posts
#554, "*rofl* I was just complained to about this.."
In response to Reply #1

from one of the people I am trying to 'hook'

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #551 Previous topic | Next topic