Subject: "Inferno closing" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #3089
Show all folders

ScarabaeusWed 31-Oct-18 01:59 AM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3089, "Inferno closing"

It has been drawn to my attention that a certain disgruntled player posted logs detailing many of the steps and challenges needed to descend through Hell. When I designed the area, my intent was to create something that challenged the players who enjoyed exploration and the excitement of the unexpected. Unfortunately, there have always been players who have wanted to negate that purpose and this one has accomplished that goal. Because of this, we’ve decided to close this area until such a time as these issues could possibly be addressed, possibly through some re-design. Given the size and scope of the area, there is no timeline for the completion of this work.

This is, unfortunately, a problem shared with other similar EXPLORE areas. The Immortal Staff would like to remind players of our wish to honor the various authors' intentions and not share or post explicit walkthroughs of such areas. Thank you.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply But why?, sshhaappaa (NOT Shapa), 01-Nov-18 02:17 AM, #8
Reply horse and cart to steam engines, Scarabaeus, 01-Nov-18 02:23 AM, #10
Reply RE: Inferno closing, Jarmel, 01-Nov-18 02:17 AM, #7
Reply Sorry, robdarken_, 31-Oct-18 03:31 PM, #4
Reply RE: Inferno closing, Igos (Anonymous), 31-Oct-18 06:38 AM, #1
     Reply Time's Arrow, Scarabaeus, 31-Oct-18 06:40 AM, #2
     Reply Annoying thing about time., Marcus_, 31-Oct-18 04:05 PM, #6
     Reply Don't be sorry, Twist, 31-Oct-18 08:37 AM, #3
          Reply Thank you for that btw., ice king, 31-Oct-18 03:30 PM, #5
               Reply totally. woldrun showed me (firhindil), Dallevian, 01-Nov-18 02:17 AM, #9

sshhaappaa (NOT Shapa)Wed 31-Oct-18 05:42 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #0

There are no mazes or puzzles in the dragon lairs too. Yet it's very hard to do them all and it happens rarely.

It's even harder to do good hell trip as goodies cannot go there.

Why not just let it be even though it's not as super secretive now?

ScarabaeusThu 01-Nov-18 02:23 AM
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3104, "horse and cart to steam engines"
In response to Reply #8

The area was designed in an era when players approached the game differently. It just feels out of place to me now.

I'm extremely busy with no light at the end of the tunnel, but I do hope I can eventually spend more time on CF and develop some new directions for the area.

JarmelWed 31-Oct-18 05:31 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
375 posts
#3101, "RE: Inferno closing"
In response to Reply #0

I am sorry to hear that it has come to this.

I have very fond memories of conquering parts of hell, my two highlights:
As Jarmel
- Downing a boss on the 3rd circle I think (It was the 90's ) with a healer, I believe it was the first time the mob had been killed, and the past party of 8 got slammed by it. From memory it was a 2-3 hr effort but stoked when we managed it.
As Kregan
- After a couple of goes getting the group back together, biting the bullet and getting Myself, A warrior (Who I later found to be Twist, why the hell didn't he lead the show!), and Thief and Invoker (Sort Of) to the Prince. This was also a bit of a low light with the Invoker loosing all their gear (Still to this day it annoys me but they were a complete champion about it). I knew that little bit and was somewhat exhausted after it all!

Thank you once again, and I look forward to what new challenges it may bring if/when it comes back.

robdarken_Wed 31-Oct-18 01:43 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#3098, "Sorry"
In response to Reply #0

I don't blame you. Hell wasn't my thing but it's too bad people can't just be decent and respect your wishes, instead a plurality of voices say they're entitled to a party hosted at your house, that you're wrong to eject them even if they're breaking all of your ####, at least if Discord is any indicator.

Somehow, you're the bad guy for offering something people really enjoy, that they would otherwise not have, and trusting them to respect your rules for it.

Meanwhile, the guy who did a bad thing to harm people who had nothing to do with what happened to him? (actually nobody had anything to do with it). That guy? Not a big deal, let's not talk about that, what's important is that I should get something from somebody else for free no matter what I do.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Igos (Anonymous)Wed 31-Oct-18 06:26 AM
Charter member
#3091, "RE: Inferno closing"
In response to Reply #0

I'm sorry this happened and I'm sorry I was the guy who led this jerk through the area.

Thanks for the email communications along the way as I explored the circles.

ScarabaeusWed 31-Oct-18 06:40 AM
1524 posts
#3093, "Time's Arrow"
In response to Reply #1

No worries. While it remains a difficult journey even with a walkthrough, by their very nature walkthroughs change the game experience. I need some time to think about how to respond to that.

Marcus_Wed 31-Oct-18 03:46 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
681 posts
#3100, "Annoying thing about time."
In response to Reply #2

Makes it harder to retrace your steps...

TwistWed 31-Oct-18 08:37 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#3094, "Don't be sorry"
In response to Reply #1

Players showing other players things in-character is something I always encourage (and try to do when playing a mortal).

The fact that this person took that knowledge that you shared and did what they did isn't on you.

ice kingWed 31-Oct-18 02:56 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2016
162 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3099, "Thank you for that btw."
In response to Reply #3

You've shown me and some players I know quite a lot IC. Those are always some extremely awesome experiences!

DallevianWed 31-Oct-18 07:36 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1618 posts
#3103, "totally. woldrun showed me (firhindil)"
In response to Reply #5

some great stuff. we did some of yzekon. we did nonveil and trothon. octagonal entrance.

go twist!

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #3089 Previous topic | Next topic