Subject: "Hopefully silent change to NPC casting/communing." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1558
Show all folders

ValguarneraSun 14-Sep-08 09:31 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1558, "Hopefully silent change to NPC casting/communing."

First, a little background:

1) When your PC casts a spell (or communes, or calls a power, etc.), you enter a function like 'cast' that goes through all the generic things that can influence spellcasting-- do the basic echoes (saying words, nodding, etc.), are you muted, can you pay the mana cost, do you have Spellcraft, does the target have Spellbane up, etc. If the spell 'goes off' at all, you're then sent on to the spell itself.

2) Under the old system, when an NPC casts a spell (or communes, etc.) it skips all of that initial stuff and just goes right to that spell. Not that we plan to let BattleRagers Spellbane NPC spells the way they can do it to PC spells (it's ridiculously good against someone that probably won't adjust tactics), but it's an example of something old-style ROM just wasn't set up to do.

3) I've made some changes that should allow us to at least have decisions during NPC casting (needed for an upcoming project where I got tired of doing workarounds for this sort of thing), and some of them have been active for a bit. Right now, they should be invisible, but please be on your toes and let us know if NPC mages/clerics are acting weird-- casting spells but nothing happens, double-casting spells, casting spells at the wrong time (Infravision during combat, etc.) etc. I did some testing but this required a lot of rewriting, and somewhere something probably got eaten.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FoolioTue 16-Sep-08 05:23 PM
Member since 07th Feb 2007
26 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1561, "Long overdue"
In response to Reply #0

Of course I didn't have to code it, so I'll just add a long-time mortal's gratitude.

Thanks.

ZephonSun 14-Sep-08 06:43 PM
Member since 21st Mar 2007
488 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1560, "I think it would be awesome."
In response to Reply #0

If this change leads to skills/spells such as Tiger claw, hurl throat,
and deafen have the chance of potentially causing spell failure on a
mob. (Even if it was just a small chance, it would make those skills a
little less useless against casting mobs).

I know you have stated before that you really don't want to lead in
that direction, but even having a 5% or 10% chance of spell failure
would make it cool.

Just a suggestion. Keep up the awesome work! ^_^

DaevrynSun 14-Sep-08 12:26 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1559, "Nice!"
In response to Reply #0

Glad to hear this is done -- it paves the way for something cool.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1558 Previous topic | Next topic