Subject: "Shopkeeper Standardization - Complete!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1018
Show all folders

KastellynWed 23-Aug-06 12:23 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
864 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1018, "Shopkeeper Standardization - Complete!"
Edited on Sat 26-Aug-06 09:38 PM

1. Over the past few years, we've been making most new shopkeepers immune to summon. It doesn't make sense that you could summon a shopkeeper away from his place of business and still purchase, say, ten suits of platemail or 50 pieces of beef jerky. Conversely, there are a few shopkeepers in the game that don't work out of a shop and have an inventory of only a few, lightweight items. It makes sense that they could do business no matter where they are. I'll be checking all 443 shopkeepers in the game to make sure their summonability makes sense. From an IC perspective, consider the strong ties a shopkeeper has to their place of business sufficient to counteract the drawing force of a summons.

2. We've never really established reasonable amounts of cash to provide shopkeepers with in order for them to do business. For example, shopkeepers in Hillcrest weren't given any copper (hence, they couldn't buy anything), shopkeepers in Dagdan were given a couple hundred copper (thus limiting the items they could buy) and shopkeepers in the Coral Palace were given 25,000 copper. We've established some guidelines, based on shopkeeper level, type of items they deal in and type of location (major town, roadside stand, uncivilized forest, etc.), for the amount of copper shopkeepers will have. In general, major cities and towns, as well as other 'civilized' areas, will generate more business for shopkeepers than a taglo jerky food stand in the middle of the Prosimy Forest. Overall, the average amount of copper a shopkeeper starts out with will roughly double (2500 to 5000) when I'm done with this round of updates.

I also checked and updated the tracking of the shopkeepers, as discussed below.

If you see errors (shopkeepers that have items for sale but won't buy that type of item (but not because they're out of money), shopkeepers with no coins (that aren't barter-specific) right after a crash or reboot, or shopkeepers associated with a shop that still track and/or are summonable), please use the typo command to let me know, thanks!

I'll take any feedback you might have via email or notes in game.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply jewler in Hamsah does not sell or buy anything, Fdialke, 25-Aug-06 11:03 AM, #13
Reply Inactive Shoppies, Kastellyn, 25-Aug-06 11:39 AM, #14
Reply what about, Fdialke, 24-Aug-06 10:31 AM, #4
Reply Pet Shoppies, Kastellyn, 25-Aug-06 11:35 AM, #6
Reply RE: Shopkeeper Standardization, Java, 23-Aug-06 06:54 PM, #3
Reply This sounds awesome., TheLastMohican, 23-Aug-06 06:54 PM, #2
Reply RE: Shopkeeper Standardization, Tac, 23-Aug-06 06:54 PM, #1
     Reply Also..., Tac, 24-Aug-06 10:31 AM, #5
     Reply RE: Also..., Kastellyn, 24-Aug-06 11:07 AM, #8
          Reply Agreed. (n/t), Qaledus, 24-Aug-06 01:49 PM, #9
     Reply Already the Case!, Kastellyn, 24-Aug-06 11:05 AM, #7
          Reply Awesome! nt, Tac, 24-Aug-06 09:36 PM, #10
          Reply RE: Already the Case!, Splntrd, 24-Aug-06 09:36 PM, #11
               Reply Not Sure, Kastellyn, 24-Aug-06 09:37 PM, #12

FdialkeFri 25-Aug-06 03:07 AM
Member since 19th Apr 2005
79 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1033, "jewler in Hamsah does not sell or buy anything"
In response to Reply #0

by design ?

KastellynFri 25-Aug-06 11:39 AM
864 posts
#1034, "Inactive Shoppies"
In response to Reply #13

If an area author created a mob that looks like a shoppie, but then didn't designate them a shoppie, I'm not going to second-guess their decision and change the mob to a shoppie. Especially not in Hamsah, because Scar had some pretty specific ideas for how he wanted that area to come together, and I doubt something like that would have been an oversight that I would feel comfortable correcting.

However, if you're talking about Pagiel, he'll get a boost to his cash so he can buy items that cost more than 50 cp.

FdialkeThu 24-Aug-06 01:22 AM
Member since 19th Apr 2005
79 posts
#1022, "what about"
In response to Reply #0

pet shopkeeper in Arial City ?
i'v posted it on bug board but nobody cares it seems

she's (shopkeeper) wandering, but i can always see the list of pets when type "list" in place where shopkeeper must be, but if i'll type
"buy "pet"" and she's absent then i got "nobody you can pay" something like that

KastellynThu 24-Aug-06 10:41 AM
864 posts
#1025, "Pet Shoppies"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Fri 25-Aug-06 11:35 AM

I hadn't planned to review pet shops yet, as they fall out of the code purview of our regular shoppies, but this particular problem is FNCR.

JavaWed 23-Aug-06 04:43 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1021, "RE: Shopkeeper Standardization"
In response to Reply #0

Cool beans. That second one especially has been what everyone's been waiting for for about 5 years now. Thanks and all that.

TheLastMohicanWed 23-Aug-06 04:07 PM
Member since 25th Oct 2005
342 posts
#1020, "This sounds awesome."
In response to Reply #0

Good to know you're still working and tweaking this standardization thingy.

Yay Kasty!

TacWed 23-Aug-06 01:08 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#1019, "RE: Shopkeeper Standardization"
In response to Reply #0

Is there going to be anything where some of the money they earn (think galadon wizard) from selling stuff (think return potions) will stay on their person so they can buy stuff? If this is already the case feel free to ignore me. I'm not saying they should keep 100%, but even 10% would mean the galadon wizard would generally have cash no matter how long it has been since last reboot.

TacThu 24-Aug-06 08:29 AM
2050 posts
#1023, "Also..."
In response to Reply #1

Can we review what shoppies track? As a someone who has played evil outlanders, having shoppies attempt to track you down after vandalization (especially since they tend to be badass) makes it that much more difficult to live the life.

KastellynThu 24-Aug-06 11:07 AM
864 posts
#1027, "RE: Also..."
In response to Reply #5

My gut is, if it makes sense that shoppies can't be summoned, I'd say they probably shouldn't track on a regular basis, especially if they're associated with an actual shop or particular place of business (i.e., wandering merchants could probably track). I'll look into this one.

QaledusThu 24-Aug-06 01:14 PM
Member since 09th May 2004
458 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1028, "Agreed. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #8

>My gut is, if it makes sense that shoppies can't be summoned,
>I'd say they probably shouldn't track on a regular basis,
>especially if they're associated with an actual shop or
>particular place of business (i.e., wandering merchants could
>probably track). I'll look into this one.
>
>Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

KastellynThu 24-Aug-06 11:05 AM
864 posts
#1026, "Already the Case!"
In response to Reply #1

The amount of copper loaded onto a shopkeeper is the maximum amount they will ever have on their person, and represents the maximum amount they are able to spend to buy an item.

Money they make above and beyond this amount is deposited into their bank account. They will periodically withdraw money from their bank account if their cash on hand drops too low.

If the Galadon wizard doesn't have enough cash on hand to buy something, it's likey he just got cleaned out before you showed up, and hasn't had time to run to the bank yet.

TacThu 24-Aug-06 02:32 PM
2050 posts
#1029, "Awesome! nt"
In response to Reply #7

SplntrdThu 24-Aug-06 05:38 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1030, "RE: Already the Case!"
In response to Reply #7

Are "bank account runs" area repops, or ticks, or a certain number of ticks?

Splntrd

KastellynThu 24-Aug-06 09:37 PM
864 posts
#1032, "Not Sure"
In response to Reply #11

But I think it is a certain number of ticks, with some randomness thrown in there. Zulgh did the coding, and I haven't really paid much attention to it other than I know it works.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1018 Previous topic | Next topic