Subject: "May 2009 Role Contest Winners & Thoughts" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #1774
Show all folders

marcatisTue 12-May-09 12:22 PM
Member since 21st Sep 2007
38 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1774, "May 2009 Role Contest Winners & Thoughts"

Thank you to everyone who took place in the May 2009 Role Contest.

This was a theme contest focused on education/learning. We had 39 entrants, a few (4) of which deleted before the close of the contest. I did not feel all entrants really fit the theme, so moved it to being a plus factor which ranged from 0 to 2 points. If you had said "plus factor" you were likely to be higher ranked in the points, as I generally grade on 5 five-point factors--but did also decide to award a best non-topical role as well. Now that the methodology has been covered, the part you're all waiting for, the winners:

First Place: Victacar
Second Place: Derieag
Third Place: Eterlu
Third Place: Findo
Third Place: Susubienko

Non Topical: Woldrun

Statistics and comments will follow this post. If you have any questions about the process or want to discuss in general, please contact me.

I want to say that there are a lot of really outstanding roles out there, that the quality continues to increase and I'm just struck by how many good writers and characters we have here.

Again, thank you to everyone who took part and congratulations to the winners.

Marcatis

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Arrna (Guest)Wed 13-May-09 03:00 AM

#1780, "Thanks alot for the comments and for doing this. :D"
In response to Reply #0

I just LOVE reading the comments. Thanks!

Eterlu (Guest)Tue 12-May-09 06:59 PM

#1779, "Thanks for taking the time to do it, and for the commen..."
In response to Reply #0

NT

marcatisTue 12-May-09 02:55 PM
38 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1777, "RE: May 2009 Role Contest Finalists"
In response to Reply #0

I forgot to post one more piece of data. I do a cut of finalists that then I decide placements from; this is generally a third of entrants. If you were a finalist that means you were in contention for a reward.

Finalists (alphabetical order):

Aeranir
Arriku
Derieag
Dierj
Eterlu
Eyrndiahl
Findo
Nerys
Susubienko
Victacar
Woldrun
Zaknifal

marcatisTue 12-May-09 01:09 PM
38 posts
#1776, "RE: May 2009 Role Contest Statistics"
In response to Reply #0

Excludes those who deleted:

By Class:
anti-paladin  1
assassin      3
bard          2
conjurer      1
druid         2
healer        1
necromancer   1
paladin       4
shapeshifter  6
thief         4
warrior      10
Grand Total  35

By Race:               
arial         4
cloud         3
d-elf         1
duergar       3
elf           4
felar         1
fire          2
gnome         2
h-drw         2
h-elf         1
human         4
mummy         1
storm         5
svirfnebli    1
w-elf         1
Grand Total  35

By Cabal:
battle        5
fortress      7
herald        4
nexus         4
none          9
outlander     1
scion         4
tribunal      1
Grand Total  35

By Sphere:

Anger         2
beauty	      2
chaos         1
combat        1
concealment   1
covetousness  1
dedication    2
earth         1
envy          3
fire          3
greed         1	
knowledge     1
magic         1
necromancy    1
passion       1
pride         1
purity        2
revelation    1
storms        1
strength      4
time/fate     1
war           2
water         1
Grand Total  35

Number of Role Entries
1 to 5 Entries        13
6 to 10 Entries       16
10 to 20 Entries       5
More than 20 Entries   1
Grand Total           35

marcatisTue 12-May-09 01:01 PM
38 posts
#1775, "RE: May 2009 Role Contest Comments"
In response to Reply #0

Adeglicfh: Well written process incorporating life and cabal work and the rest.

Aeinrez: Well written, a lot of background--more character advancement over time might have been nice.

Aeranir: You write well and use a lot of variety in the role, very nice.
Arriku: Interesting role with a lot going on, a quick read and just good all around.

Arrna: Solid role, it really expresses your character and says a lot.

Bartis: Nice storyline. Did not consider all your addditions due to time stamp. You do write well and have an interesting story to tell.

Damenous: Interesting background. Nicely written, though seems to taper off from that solid start.

Delagny: Solid role, the writing is occasionally great othertimes less so, but does transmit your character.

Derieag: A nice role, made me smile a few times. Really created some good images & discussions.

Dierj: Very nice writing. Story really catches your interest and is well narrated.

Dorthilon: I like your writing style and consideration of character development over time very much.

Eterlu: I really like your interview. Good writing and interesting throughout.

Eyrndiahl: Somewhat topical with interesting story and development. The experiments were just very nice.

Felthistle: Quality writing and nice flow. Hints at a lot; did not consider all entries due to timestamp.

Findo: Very quirky role, well thought out but crazy quirky. Still very strong topical thread!

Gahdak: Good role start, well written. Seems to taper off and not sure where it all comes from, but overall well done.

Gom: I think you write well, but your third entry reall seems more like you copy pasted a chat--maybe add some interpretation if you do that (thoughts on what you felt during etc)

Gzurweeg: Only considered 1 due to timestamp. Decent writing, could be better formatted.

Ikanu: Your first entry, in particular, is really nicely done--great content, great format etc. Overall a solid role read. Not super topical but interesting nonetheless

Jhian: DELETED
Kalageadon: DELETED

Lirieleth: A dark role, written well and easy to picture what you're describing.

Malthalia: You write very well and have just an impressively done role under your belt. I also appreciate you following my request and pointing to the entries you really felt relevant.

Nerys: This is very nicely written and interesting--and even somewhat on theme. Nice!

Nian: I appreciate the mini-updates you did as well as some other writing methods. Not really on topic but a good role.

Qortlin: Interesting idea, but can be difficult to read due to formatting. Only read 1 due to timestamp.

Rakitim: Only considered 1 entry due to time stamp. I like the general idea and you do write well--though not really on theme.

Recktulu: Only considered 1 entry due to time stamp. Good ideas but somewhat difficult to read.

Soash: Scientific research on water! You mad researcher.

Susubienko: Detailed and well-written. Fits the theme as well, so go team. Like the HTOS storyline.

Svarmungadr: I like the way you use role but would appreciate a bit more story entries. None of them really fit the theme, but I respect the effort you've put in.

Taeranduu: Well written, especially initial dream.

Tellik: An interesting role, starts off really well but does ramble some towards the middle.

Thendrell: DELETED
Tirrium: DELETED

Victacar: Interviews, seeking education and interestingly done. You're clearly psychic and predicting my themes.

Woldrun: Really great role, not really fits the theme, but impressive writing.

Zaknifal: You write well and make an interesting story, good work.

Zalenne: This is a really nice world creation and background, but its missing some passion or drive.

Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #1774 Previous topic | Next topic