Subject: "Thrak's role contest" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #1340
Show all folders

Wondering (Guest)Fri 30-Nov-07 07:30 PM

#1340, "Thrak's role contest"

Just curious about how the role reading is going? Get swamped with a bunch of long ones this time?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Thrak's role contest Results, Thrakburzug, 02-Dec-07 02:23 PM, #1
     Reply Should we pray in game, or do you just find us? n/t, Dungard (Guest), 03-Dec-07 02:42 AM, #2
     Reply RE: Should we pray in game, or do you just find us? n/t, Aubrei (Guest), 03-Dec-07 07:23 PM, #7
     Reply Are you planning on posting comments?, Loser (Guest), 03-Dec-07 12:41 PM, #3
          Reply the problem, Laxminator (Guest), 03-Dec-07 04:59 PM, #4
          Reply that's why I wondered about comments, Loser (Guest), 03-Dec-07 07:23 PM, #5
          Reply Seconded, DurNominator, 03-Dec-07 07:23 PM, #6

ThrakburzugSun 02-Dec-07 01:34 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
83 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1341, "Thrak's role contest Results"
In response to Reply #0

Sorry about not posting the results, but things have been a bit busy of late. The log or all the roles was about 198 pages when I printed it out with about 40 people entering the contest (plus eleven people who entered after the deadline). Frankly there were about 12-15 roles that I really liked and could have won, but I can't let everyone win, so I went with the roles that really brought out race as a tie breaker.

Tied for First: Dungard and Zridv
Tied for third: Ina and Aubrei

Some may have gotten rewards already, some may be waiting on them.

Dungard (Guest)Sun 02-Dec-07 10:56 PM

#1342, "Should we pray in game, or do you just find us? n/t"
In response to Reply #1

asdf

Aubrei (Guest)Mon 03-Dec-07 06:29 PM

#1347, "RE: Should we pray in game, or do you just find us? n/t"
In response to Reply #2

Same question, since I won't be on CF for another two weeks or so because of college finals.

Loser (Guest)Mon 03-Dec-07 11:55 AM

#1343, "Are you planning on posting comments?"
In response to Reply #1

Not meant to be harrassment, just curious what you thought of us losers, er, non-winners

I know I had tried something a little different this time and still didn't win. Personally, I've gotten the 'really good role' etc.. comment 3 or 4 times now with different characters but still haven't made the cut, despite getting decent Imm exp for them. I think I'm going to give up on the whole idea of entering role contests. If I want an exercise in futility I'll just try to PK someone

Laxminator (Guest)Mon 03-Dec-07 04:46 PM

#1344, "the problem"
In response to Reply #3

Isn't that your roles are bad. In favt if you keep getting good reviews and rewards they are likely good. The problem is that someone out there is just better and the rewards go to the top rather finishers rather then all those deserving. Thats why its a contest and not a give away.

If you keep scoring well though eventually your bound to make the winning circle.

Loser (Guest)Mon 03-Dec-07 05:45 PM

#1345, "that's why I wondered about comments"
In response to Reply #4

1) Never going to know what was 'better' about the winning roles if you don't get comments.

2) When I've read winning roles in PBF's I haven't generally been blown away that the roles were that much (or in some cases, any) better than what I had written.

I realize that there's a huge amount of subjectivity involved in that my tastes in role style may not be yours and there's no right or wrong in that kind of subjectivity about who's role is better. It's like arguing whether Azimov was a better author than Herbert; it depends on what you like to read. And I'm not slighting the judges in their choices.

But not making the top 10% with what I thought was an original and decently written role makes me say 'bleh' and not bother with worrying about it any further.

And yes, I know that's not what roles are orignially intended for. But I could do a much simpler and straightforward role in 5 or 6 lines that would get the message across instead of making something interesting to read as well. When I kill off this PC, I'll buy the PBF's for my last couple of role contest entrants and you guys and judge for yourselves.

DurNominatorMon 03-Dec-07 05:55 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1346, "Seconded"
In response to Reply #3

I'm curious too. It'd be nice to hear if the role was appreciated or even liked or the general thoughts of it in the first place. Up to Thrak if he bothers, though.

Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #1340 Previous topic | Next topic