Subject: "Bug Format" First topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #12367
Show all folders

Mek (Guest)Mon 05-Nov-07 08:43 PM

#12367, "Bug Format"
Edited on Tue 12-Mar-24 09:06 AM

This is a standard format used in the game industry for a bug entry. I've adapted it for use in The Carrion Fields.

----------------------------------------------------------------
THIS SECTION IS CONTAINED IN THE name AND subject FIELDS OUTSIDE OF THE BODY OF THE POST

Name: (Your name here)

Subject: (Short description of the bug)

Example Subject Line: 'Regurgitate' causes crash when stomach is empty.

----------------------------------------------------------------
BODY OF THE POST

Expected: (In this section you put the expected results of the action(s) as if a bug were not occuring.)

Example Expected Section:

Expected: When I use the 'regurgitate' skill without having ingested anything, I should receive a message stating that I have nothing to regurgitate.

Actual: (In this section you put the actual results of the action(s), exactly as it happens.)

Example Actual Section:

Actual: When I use the 'regurgitate' skill without having ingested anything, the game freezes for approximately 5 seconds and then crashes.

Steps to Reproduce: (In this section you number the steps to reproduce. Be as concise as possible.)

Example Steps to Reproduce Section:

Steps to Reproduce:
1) Log on with an orcish berserker and pass the MOTD screen.
2) Making sure not to ingest anything, use the 'regurgitate' skill.

For non-crash bugs that you can reproduce without harming other people's gameplay experience, please try to reproduce it a few times if humanly possible. This is given below the Steps section and is called the Repro Rate.

Repro Rate: (The number of times you were able to reproduce the bug.)

Example Repro Rate section:

Repro Rate: 4/5

==================================================================

Now for an entire sample report without notations.

==================================================================

Name: Mek

Subject: 'Regurgitate' causes crash when stomach is empty.

Expected: When I use the 'regurgitate' skill without having ingested anything, I should receive a message stating that I have nothing to regurgitate.

Actual: When I use the 'regurgitate' skill without having ingested anything, the game freezes for approximately 5 seconds and then crashes.

Steps to Reproduce:
1) Log on with an orcish berserker and pass the MOTD screen.
2) Making sure not to ingest anything, use the 'regurgitate' skill.

Repro Rate: 4/5

==============
============
=============
Extra details by Ishuli - 3-12-24
If your bugpost involves a mob, what mob?
* Don't say "The guard east of Hamsah". I don't know which guard. And I can't go "east" in the code. I need to know the exact, specific mob. Paste their name/longdesc (what you see in the room with them). That will tell me which mob it is about.

If it involves a room, what room?
* Don't say "West locked room of Galadon". Paste the room's full name, or if multiple rooms share the name, the description of the room. Again - I can't just "goto locked west room" in the code. Not how it works.

If it involves an object, what object?
* Don't say "The flaming sword". Paste the object's full name. If something is modifying the object, then include any modifications since otherwise I have no way of knowing.

If it involves YOUR character
* Include your SCORE. Include your AF list.
* If it is a pfile problem, I can't check without knowing your character's name.
* Sometimes it may relate to an affect that YOU, the player, don't know does a certain thing - in which case that list can help me identify so I can go "Ah I see what it is here".

If it involves a mechanic, explain what is expected vs. what happened?
* What SHOULD have happened?
* What DID happen?
* Explain the distinction, include a log snippet, show me the problem. Don't just tell me there IS a problem (I'm sure there are plenty) but SHOW it to me. The better you show it the more quickly I'll fix your bugpost, and the more I'll appreciate you (and Ish-appreciation is a high value currency).

If it involves something that should be balanced better
* STOP! This is the bugboard. NOT THE PLACE! Take it to the ideas channel or the Gameplay forum.

If it involves COMPLEX mechanics
* It is better to over-explain than under-explain. I promise I won't take it in a condescending fashion, even if you "There is the dog. The dog ran. The dog ran fast." I'm not fixing bugs for my ego, but for the MUD, so explain explain explain and act like I'm a level 4 orc.

Please include all the above details in a single post. Because if it is multiple, I promise I've looked through 10+ bugs between your first and your second and I no longer remember what you are talking about. Plus I can't respond without making your post visible, which in doing so, I must snip your identifying info from the post (character, score, logs, etc.)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Top General Discussions Bug Submissions Topic #12367First topic | Next topic