Subject: "Thera's Ages - Reminiscing" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions History & Lore Topic #415
Show all folders

AarnTue 18-Jul-06 12:58 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#415, "Thera's Ages - Reminiscing"

I like history, and Thera has a lot of it. I've been going over the stories of Thera's three Ages, and have decided to do some organizing and standardizing.

I've found a lot of things that were out-of-sync with each other scattered around. In particular, the books in the Lyceum were pretty far off. They'll be replaced with the updated versions that I'm going to paraphrase below FNCR, so people can study up in-character. I'll also be tweaking a lot of history-related helpfiles to be in line with each other, and refer people to the Lyceum texts for specifics where possible, rather then just reprinting the whole Lyceum in help files.

What I would like from you guys, is for you to post up any stories related to the actual events leading to the changing of Ages. This can serve as an official OOC record of some of the events, and maybe a little trip down memory lane for those of you that have been around long enough.

I'm not 100% certain about a lot of this, the dates in particular. If you know better then I do, please reply with the info so I can updated it! But to give you an outline:

First Age
1994-1995?
The tale outlined in "help 62" - the one regarding BoltThrower and the Order and Chaos mages - takes place at the beginning of the First Age, more or less before gameplay actually began. In real life that story wasn't written until post-purge by ShaidarHaran, but for gameplay purposes now, this is where it fits in. The First Age itself ends with the purge of all pfiles that took place. It also marks the end of completely lax name requirements! I know we have some people that were around at this time, so maybe we could get some stories regarding the purge itself, and what surrounded it. Roleplay requirements were pretty much non-existant at this time, but as far as the IC stuff goes we'll be framing it all like they were roleplaying just fine.

Second Age
1995-1997?
This is when a lot of the framework for the CF I started on was laid down. Justice went away, Knights and Arbiters came in. The names of characters got a little better. Scarabaeus opened Hell. Fun things like that. Transmuters had gate, charm, hold, duo and prismatic spray. Invokers had sanctuary and crushing hand and anti-magic shield. Assassins had cure critical and hellfire. This Age ended with the Horn of Fate quest, which I participated in as a mortal. I remember we found the Horn in Kiadanah (which at the time was located on the river just outside of Galadon), then went up to the top of the Rainbow Bridge. A few people held it, and no one could figure out how to actually use the damn thing. It finally ended up in Launfal's hands, who figured out the "sound" command, thus immortalizing his name and saving the world at the same time. I remember we all got forced to save, then they started a reboot timer, at which point an Entropy dwarf whos name I think was Thorbardian, or something like that? Came and dispersed all of us would-be heros just before the reboot went through. Good times!

Third Age
1997-current
Obviously the Third Age is still going on, and I'm sure that's when a lot of you joined the game. The Horn of Fate deal is what split the "cleric" class up in to druids, healers and shamans, and created "communing" instead of just having everyone cast. It also introduced spheres, and I believe the first actual Liches came along right around the beginning here? Amitarius and Donnovan, both Masters, I believe?

Anyway, I probably wont release every post people make on this thread - some I'll just edit the main post and paraphrase. But if you have some good stories relating to an Age change that you partook in, post them up here. Please let me know if you have corrections on the info I already wrote, or if you just have things to add!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThera's Ages - Reminiscing [View all] , Aarn, Tue 18-Jul-06 12:58 PM
Reply RE: Thera's Ages - Reminiscing, shokai, 18-Jul-06 10:15 PM, #1
     Reply Also, Dwoggurd, 19-Jul-06 08:34 AM, #2
Top General Discussions History & Lore Topic #415 Previous topic | Next topic