Subject: "The story of Amhtral" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions History & Lore Topic #337
Show all folders

KristofSun 07-Aug-05 07:24 AM
Member since 01st Mar 2005
35 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#337, "The story of Amhtral"

Amhtral was a Wood Elf Bard who left a life of petty crime for Thar-Eris. It's by far the best background story I've ever written so far and I remember spending several weeks on it, finetuning every single line. It's a shame the character itself didn't work out. Anyways, I hope you enjoy it.

--

- No, I will no longer teach you. You are a fine singer, likely the best I've ever taught, but you sing without passion. The words are empty to you. Your songs lack feeling, sincerity. Go, give meaning to your life, so that perhaps it may bring meaning to your creations. -

Ever on the words echo through my mind. They sting the inner caverns of my thoughts, for they are truth, and that makes them more dreadfull still. So, now I am here in the wild with two rangers and a thief. Looking back, it seems a long time already. Scavenging the wild for whatever opportunity presents itself. That usually means helping a traveler on his journey by lightening the weight he carries. Usually centered around his coin purse though. But now that autumn has come, the woods are wet from rain, and no one would travel far in such bad weather. Because of this, and the prospect of winter crawling nearer, we moved closer to the villages.

Some time ago I was hanging around some inn, not to far from where I'm from. Garimar is with me, he's that thief I spoke of earlier. Says he's running from the law, good fellow, bit paranoid though, we call him Twitch 'cause of it. But I'm drifting. So, we were going to the inn, me and Twitch. Hakimah and Narx, the two rangers didn't want to join us, they said that place stinks. Pfft, what do they know. Like sleeping in a wet hole for five days doesn't make you stink! Anyway, I did my repertoire of songs, while Twitch did an acrobatic act. The main theme of the show is distraction though. You'd be surprised how easy it is to empty the pockets of a fool high on cheap booze and laughter. And on some nights the barkeep even throws us a few silvers too! This inn's barkeep did too, pocket money wasn't too bad either. The trick is to come in early, so that the customers still have most of their cash. The hard part is that if you come too early, their wits are still in their heads, instead of their mugs. All about timing, says Twitch, and he's right too.

So the catch was fine, and we were both in an excellent mood. So, Twitch says to me: let's play a game! I knew what he was talking about, he'd done it before. It works like this, he scouts for the wealthiest guy in the establishment. He observes the fellow for a while and waits for the right moment. The right moment is when he's seen something worth taking. When he's done that, all we do is wait. Soon the guy will notice he's missing his trinket, he calls for the guards, with a bit of yelling, the place turns into chaos real soon. Then Twitch plants the trinket back on the guy. Usually the guards arrive soon enough, so he does it quickly. The fellow then explains about his stolen trinket to the guards. Ha! You should see the look on the fellow's face, when he learns it's on him still. The guards' angry expressions aint to bad either.

But I was talking about yesterday, not the days before. The crowd roaring with laughter and shouts, the atmosphere is perfect for some entertainment. Twitch observes this strange fellow. Almost dressed like he's a peacock! His garments all colors and unknown symbols. A jester would be happy wearing that for his satires. An ebony staff stands close to him, leaning on his chair. Twitch approaches him and lifts some kind of golden bar from this guy's pocket. But than this blasted bird started screeching, come to think of it, probably the guy's pet. Like a flash the man grabs Twitch's wrist, and murmurs something. Than Twitch starts screaming, he raises his wrist, it seems strangely blue, like frozen! Twitch gathers himself and grabs a knife from his pocket with his good hand and takes a stab at the guy, cutting him deeply in the chest. He runs to me and we hightail it out of this accursed place.

As we follow Hakimah's lead, Narx, the elder of the two, followed a bit behind, clearing our tracks. Twitch said he's feeling okay, so we make haste. Later on we're chatting around the campfire, laughing about what happened. His pain almost forgotten, Twitch is laughing just as loudly, until at some point he chortles and falls to the floor, blood flowing from his mouth. Startled, the three of us jump up, agony on our faces. What devilry is this! Did this fellow gave Twitch some kind of disease, or something? Either way, staying wouldn't have been a good idea, so we went into the night. The screech of a bird behind us, almost like encouragement. We ran and we ran until we reached one of our camp sites deeper within the forest. For days we stayed there, anxious and uncertain of what had befallen us.

Days had become a week, weeks had become a month, and still we lingered, uneasy of whom might be coming for us, but none came, or gave sign of pursuit. But the depths of winter has fallen upon us, and it's blanket has grown thicker with each day, so we decided to break up and take our chances at home. The parting was sad, but I did desire to gaze upon the lands I've known so well, again.

Alas! No return could have ever been more sorrowful! The whole of the village was now a blackened skeleton mocking it's former glory. All but the strongest walls and pillars had been cast down by fire. The ground a blanket of ash and soot, upon which no snow could lie. Whatever had befallen, there can't have been any chance to defeat the fate that was laid upon the settlement. The village but a shadow of the safety it once offered. Shaking with distress and the vision of an old fear renewed, we marched forward to seek signs of life, and shelter from the cold.

Driven by our grief and the terror that haunted us, Narx lead us to a small community of rangers, deep within the woods south of the village. There we found the shelter we so desperitely required. Amongst the rangers dwelling in the shelter, we found an old acquaintance, who was a hunter for my town of birth. From him we finally learned what had befallen the village, this is what he told us:

- One day, this queer fellow came upon market square, demanding to speak to our Chief. He wore colorfull garments and walked on an ebony staff, a black bird sitting on his shoulder. When the Chief arrived, he called to all who would harken his words. He tolds us that he was a representative of the Imperial Black Sect, soon to be promoted to the position of Dreadlord. We were told that it would be in our best interest to swear loyalty to the Empire by taking the Blood Oath, or come to regret it.

Now, as ye well know, we've always been fond of our independence, and this Empire would only be a hinderance when it comes to that. So the Chief told him that, and this fellow did not even bother to hide his scorn. Anger in his voice, he told the Chief that he would return the next day to hear our final decision. He went to the nearest inn for the night, but returned only weeks later. When he did return, he had several grim-faced people with him. He shouted: 'Ye have dared mock my authority, now ye shall know the folly of this act!'. At once, he and his helpers started casting spells of devastating destruction. All townsfolk fled as they could, but many fell to the flames. The few survivers there are have scattered and our community is no more. What this act was he spoke of, I still do not know -

On that day I learned what greed for coin can do, even if it merely serves to kill time and boredom. This folly has caused grief and hurt to many folk who were dear to me. I swore a vow that I would never do something of the like again, and would not allow others to make this mistake. I turned my back to the cities and their corruption, and fully embraced the heritage of the wild that is mine, which I neglected for over long.

So now I ask thee, take me as your pupil. I am a fine singer, likely the best you'll ever teach. And now I sing with a purpose.

"What is mind, don't matter. What is matter? Nevermind"

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote
Top General Discussions History & Lore Topic #337 Previous topic | Next topic